Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:40PM

While lurking at BabycenterLDS, I noticed that some wards change meeting times. Why would that be? Does the congregation have any say in the change?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:51PM

At least that's what I remember.

If more than one ward meets in a building, they swap times so that they take turns being the early ward or the later ward. It's kind of a fairness thing.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:52PM

The Wards take turns changing their meeting times so they don't all have the same schedule year to year. Mornings go to afternoons and visa versa. That gives people a chance to vary their schedule as usually two or more Wards meet in one building.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 01:04AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:49PM

Ah, that makes sense. More than one congregation sharing a building. Got it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:36AM

One place I lived at, the other ward wanted the start times changed for their convenience....

at the end/start of the next year, when the schedules were set to exchange.. NO WAY would they take the time they wanted us to have previously!!!

we were the 'country bumpkins', they were the Microsoft Millionaires! Guess who prevailed !?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 01:37AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:04AM

My wife's building has two wards. One english and one spanish. English meets at 9, spanish at 11. She asked if they will rotate in January, as has been the custom everywhere else we've lived. She was told no, the spanish ward would lose too many members if they started that early!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 03:57PM

As a kid, we lived in a fast growing suburb in Utah. The building was hosting 4 wards. We had church starting at 3:00 pm. It was a drag. Maybe that year just accelerated my exmo timer.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 04:55PM

Part of the reason they change times is that the church has found that statistically the closer the sacrament meeting is to noon, the higher the attendance. Since each ward gets $2 per person attending in the last month of each quarter they have to rotate the times to give each ward a fair shot and getting more budget from corporate headquarters.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.