Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Aero ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:48AM

http://www.alternet.org/story/153533/why_is_it_so_tempting_to_make_fun_of_mormons/?page=entire

"Sacred underwear, baptizing holocaust victims, gods of their own planets. It seems the mainstream media can't get enough of mocking LDS."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 12:41PM

I would like to say "Because it is worthy of being mocked...", unfortunatly those doing the mocking don't seem to know much about mormonism so they are focused on the superficial and salacious; so the real reason is "mormons are wierd and sometimes knock on doors which annoys people."

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:12AM

LDS Church history and doctrine is full of superficial, salacious and stupid stuff:

-Worthiness is determined by underwear.

-Hierarchy is determined by harems.

-Holiness is determined by hokey-pokey ripped-off rituals.

-Scripture is determined by reading rocks.

No wonder Mormons get so defensive.

Deep down they know it's undeniably dumb.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Then drink some. It will help clear your head.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 08:27AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 01:03PM

... "Ask and ye shall receive" and lord knows mormons ask to be mocked with great frequency!

Timothy

Posted by: fizzledizz ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 01:51PM

Because they are flippin wierd, the whole religion is full of nut-jobs, sorry!!!

Posted by: fizzledizz ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 01:56PM

I love it that since they are so odd that they go on a huge, Im cool, I'm normal, I'm a regular guy campaign to "appear" normal. If you are, stop talking about it and just be normal and leave the cult for crying out loud!!!

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:26PM

Agreed.

Posted by: love is good ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 07:42AM

Posted by: Tedious ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:01PM

Spare a thought for that supreme mountebank Joseph Smith. He's the one laughing his behind off wherever he is at what he was able to get away with.

"Get this - I convinced them G-d was talking to me and they gave me their teenage daughters! ROFLMAO".

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:20PM

Weirdness
Ridiculous claims
Hypocrisy
Holier than thou (we are better than you) attitude
Everyone looks the same (white shirts, magical underwear)

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 05:19PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 08:39PM by amos2.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 10:40AM

Exactly!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:24PM

They provide a rich vein of material to spin into comedy, but what really makes a joke on them good is that extra quality that ratchets it up a notch--a very ridiculous arrogance.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:36PM

+1 Their ridiculous arrogance. They take themselves too seriously, and they have no sense of humor. Arrogant people can't laugh at themselves.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:44PM

I find myself making cracks about it in front of non-mormons and mormons alike. I sometimes am like did you really just say that holistic??

Like when I met a girl at my fiancee's work Christmas after party (cool Irish bar)..where people made their way to after the real party.. we discovered we were both from Idaho...her being from Preston, ID (that's where my grandparents met so I got a little excited) I was like are you Mormon or did you grow up Mormon?....probably should 3 second myself. She was like I will always be Mormon. The conversation went to other things but I think I think I offended her. The girl that was from Sun Valley, ID and I got a kick out of it after Preston girl walked away. yikes....oh well!

I love making fun of the Mormon religion. At a different Christmas party this week I again started talking about how crazy they are to a never mo that went to high school with so many--in Phoenix area. She was like they thought they were all like better. Walked with their noses up, I always kind of felt bad for them. I was like that is exactly right they think they are like more holier and trying to be a good stuck up example. I wish someone like you would have came up to me and said-- hey! you are a bitch, and your religion is a cult. I may have listened to someone like her...she was a cute girl...reminded me of some of the Catholic girls I went to HS with. People with intelligence and class should notify the cult followers. A group of people were like you know in my world religion class they classify it as a cult. I was like yes...I couldn't agree more. Now I know that...as of three years..thank my lucky stars.

I hate the Mormon church now that I am out and can't stand that they continue to control my siblings and their children. I wasn't aware of the anti-stuff till I was 22....and man was I fuming and afraid when I found out!! It can almost drive a person mad and vengeful...fine line there. I love making fun of it. It's like you guys really believe this come on?! I use to too though! nutty!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 02:49PM by holistic.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 08:08PM

+1

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 07:49PM

LOL of course it's tempting! There's an overabundance of rich material, the comedy writes itself, you don't even have to try. Not to mention an entire Musical on the subject ;)

Agree with blueorchid & forestpal, the uniquely Mormon arrogance is the icing on the cake. Mitt Romney is the perfect example; always walking around with an iron rod shoved up his self-righteous butt, just like the other male Mormon clones.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 08:39PM

And since it isn't legal to slap their snotty faces, we have to slap them verbally instead.

Also, because the offended look of utter shock when you mock them is just too delicious to pass up. ;)

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:10PM

Does anyone else find it ironic that one of the first things they tell you in the temple is "God will not be mocked"? It's probably because he realized how f'ing laughable the whole thing is--hideous Celestial Kitchen outfits (complete with aprons and baker's hats), hypocritical sheeple for members, prophets who don't share anything more meaningful that widow stories and the finding of $5 bills, weak cover-ups of past indiscretions/doctrine, etc.

Mormons are a joke and they don't even realize it. I'm embarrassed I ever was one.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:07AM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:16AM

Manikins aren't entertaining until you knock them down.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:06AM

Respect is worthless unless it's earned.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 08:22AM

Is it because 170 years after a conman started a scam it has been perpetuated ever since by the very people who are being scammed. I wouldn't normaly use the expression brainwashed but when the victims are perpertrating theb crime on themselves what else can you call it. The church just sits and watches while the lay members send in the cheques.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 10:11AM

Arrogance combined with ignorance is a very rich vein for humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 11:00AM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 11:05AM

Because they take themselves so seriously

(While walking around in magic underpants)

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 11:07AM

MoCK rhymes with RoCK which was in the HaT worn by the RaT, so the Rat in the HaT cursed those who MoCKED his SaCK-ReD RoCK!

So there!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 11:22AM

The two things I noticed in the article were:

The author thinks that in 50 years there will be no issue electing a Mormon. I really doubt Mormonism will last that long.

The author closed by saying to leave underwear out of it. We need to include the underwear because this cult is in every aspect of the Mormon's life and WILL effect their ability to lead.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 05:09PM

brandywine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The two things I noticed in the article were:
>
> The author thinks that in 50 years there will be
> no issue electing a Mormon. I really doubt
> Mormonism will last that long.

In 50 years, the word MORmON will unquestionably be a universal negative connotation associated with cultism, weirdness, polygamy, elitism, bigotry, hate, division, idiocy, corruption, scams, fraud, failure, futility, and losing, interchangeable with the words stupid and Moron, largely due to the fact that's ALREADY the case.

I have over 70 cousins on the MORmON side of my family. About 10 per cent of us have dropped out of THE church because it simply is not worth the trouble of being a MORmON, or as in my case because there is some outright contempt for the MORmON religion. Even so, the apostates do not talk to each other about their non member status because there is concern of upsetting the old guard of my parent's generation, who are starting to die off. Half of my generation remaining in MORmONISM are there simply out of habit / personal inertia -they are just too stupid and too lazy (TOO MORmON) to actually quit but they are NOT really doing much, as in staying paid up on their tithing, as they stay in THE (MORmON) church either. In the upcoming generation those choosing to NOT participate will be the majority. They simply have no tolerance for the soul depleting life sucking ways of MORmONISM, because they have seen what THE church has done to the family and they are too interested in actually having A LIFE of their own.

Personal Freedom in religion is a very strong American ideal (that BTW came from the masonic heritage of The Founding Fathers, NOT from oppressive tradition Christianity as is so frequently and so errantly asserted ). Even so, Americans took a look at Rmoney's MORmONISM and decided that it was a lot more about being stupid and MORmONIC than it was about being religious. As Well, Rmoney had zero cred when he said he was not a sock puppet stooge for LD$ inc, to the extent that it was down right insulting that he dare make such a claim. It was like Rmoney thought that everyone else should be a MORmON too. Americans were not going to go for that. The MORmONS had their shot at having a MORmON POTUS. They lost. Its over.
MORmON style whining about that rejection will not improve MORmONISM's well deserved dismal image, it will only serve to further MORmONS image problem, which suits me just fine.

> The author closed by saying to leave underwear out
> of it.

How much did LD$ Inc PR pay them to say that ?

AS IF MORmONISM had left underwear out of their deal, but now they want others to just let the MORmON OBSESSION with underwear deal just slide by. and WHAT ELSE do MORmONS want to demand that others do ????

> We need to include the underwear because
> this cult is in every aspect of the Mormon's life
> and WILL effect their ability to lead.

Correct.

Posted by: geezerdogmom ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 01:14PM

Because to do so is just plain hilarious!

I wish I had found this site when I left the church a year ago - I posted before and I will post again, I never laughed like this when I was IN the church.

You people seem to be the happiest people on the planet and I love reading so MANY funny posts. Sure glad I quit so I could find you! I sometimes feel badly about the joking but it is just plain hilarious!

Posted by: anon brit ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 01:28PM

If the LDS church was packed to the rafters with kind and loving people doing things to make the world a better place, everyone would think it was extremely bad taste to make fun of their underwear, rituals and beliefs.

It's the combination of the weirdo stuff and the holier-than-thou judgemental asshole factor that leaves them wide open to ridicule.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: August 11, 2015 02:11PM

When you write out all the weirdness in plain English, it is just hilarious that people buy into that crap.

There is plenty in mainstream Christian denominations that is equally preposterous, but people are more familiar with it and don't have the mental distance to see the absurdities.

Date: August 11, 2015 02:19PM

because making fun of STUPID people IS fun, just ask MORmONS !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZn_fXBwtg

Date: August 11, 2015 02:51PM

there could be some hints / clues on this matter in these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRQGiHc2XvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCN3AvH4JRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SY9LZ4wh4

somehow, watching the following video makes me feel better than ALL the times that I took the MORmON sackerment and that I attended the MORmON Temple PUT TOGETHER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEMX0VooD4

Sometimes when certain people endlessly beg for something (ridicule), then they end up receiving it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.