Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ollie ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 07:55PM

(this refers to the Christian religions)

1st Degree- I don't believe it but I wish it were true,if I could get some supporting evidence I would follow it.

2nd Degree- I don't believe it and I also hope it is not true, but if I got some evidence that it is true, I would follow it.

3rd Degree - I don't believe it and I hope it is not true and even if it were proven to be true, I would not follow it because I could not worship a god such as this.

I am 3rd degree, started as 1st, but have progressed to 3rd based on a more complete study of the Christian god as described in the Bible. There's no way I could worship for eternity a god whose ethics are inferior to my own.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 07:57PM

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 08:08PM

That's my level.

The only thing that's true is what you see before you, be good to mankind and to the earth, because that's what we're here to do, it's what's in front of us.

Everything else is superstition.

That's my worldview, it's what works for me. It's effortless, I don't have a choice in what I believe or disbelieve. For those with contrasting worldviews, that's ok, but I don't need to hear them, or read about them, anymore than I need to hear about someone's romantic fantasizes or read someone's dream journal. I don't disagree with someone's choice to have either, or believe they are true/will come true, but those things are best kept to oneself.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 08:23PM

Let's get busy!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 07:59PM

P.S.--I don't fit into any of your three categories since Mormonism has been proven beyond reasonable doubt (like flat Earthism) to be demonstrably untrue and therefore I don't accept it, period.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 08:08PM by steve benson.

Date: December 24, 2011 08:10PM

Well said, I bristle at the term "believe" but I'm at a loss to come up with a neutral term. Accept doesn't work in all situations, since the only thing I universally accept is someone's right to their own opinions/beliefs (so long as they are kept to themselves). The belief term is a stumper. So is "true" in the context of this post.

Date: December 24, 2011 08:22PM

"Think" can connote an investigative process while "belief" can connote acceptance of an idea because someone said it's true, usually without evidence.

Those connotations don't apply to all situations, but I reject descriptions of atheism as a belief system.

Some people grow up in secular households, and because the are not indoctrinated in a religion, they might be atheists simply because their parents are. Similarly, some of us were X because our parents taught us to be X.

As people grow, hopefully they'll examine what they've been taught and accept or reject it based on their own thought processes.

Date: December 24, 2011 08:28PM

Good points, thanks for weighing in.

Date: December 24, 2011 09:12PM

Date: December 24, 2011 09:29PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 08:11PM

I don't believe there is a God. If it were not for religion and believers that find so many ways to push god into my life, I would not give the idea of god or gods a second thought.

What I hope for is that one day the people that believe in invisible sky daddies with magical powers will realize that such a believe is not at all reasonable enough to think that such a belief gives them the right or even a reasonable justification to push their belief on anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 08:13PM by MJ.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 08:12PM

Mormonism is not true

Does God exist? I am not sure

Do I want a God to exist? I am not sure

I do not think I fit into any of the 3 degrees

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 08:55PM

Date: December 24, 2011 09:11PM

j/k for people who think I'm a super serious person and stuff.

For the youngun's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_degree_%28interrogation%29

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 08:59PM

I'm an atheist and I happen to be wearing a belt that is black (with a silver buckle).

OOOooo, maybe I'm a Silver Buckle Atheist!

Date: December 24, 2011 09:11PM

Fuck pirates.

Date: December 24, 2011 09:25PM

Date: December 24, 2011 09:31PM

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:12PM

Christian religions? Definitely 3. There is nothing good that Christianity can offer.

God in general? Probably number 1.

Still, these degrees of Atheism aren't very accurate or useful. If there were evidence to believe in a god, Atheists would believe in god. Atheism isn't based on disliking the idea of god, Atheism is based on available evidence.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:45PM

I can understand that you don't believe in Christianity or accept it, but to say there is nothing good in it is pretty extreme. Just saying. Wow!

Date: December 24, 2011 10:57PM

Be surprised all you want, the sentiment is irrelevant. By all means, let's have a discussion over it. I know you like to label me as anti-Christian, but I really am open to arguments contrary to my own. However, if you aren't will to say anything other than "wow, extreme, etc", your comment is useless.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:03PM

What about the Golden Rule, loving each other, charity and other things like that?

Date: December 24, 2011 11:05PM

Neither the Golden Rule nor charity were created by Christianity nor exist solely within Christianity.

The Golden Rule isn't even good advice nor logically sound.

Charity has more to do with group mindset and what is good for everyone than it does with religion of any sort.

I'm sure we could come up with better examples than that to showcase the good in Christianity.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:10PM

Whether they are exclusive to Christianity is irrelevant.Very few things are exclusive to any one groupp. I still think they are good and so do most people. I have no problem with the Golden Rule. Sorry, but there is some good in everything. Like they say even Mussolini made the trains run on time. If you can't think of any good at all in Christianity then I would have to say that, yes, you are anti Christian. I have never said that before, BTW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 11:11PM by bona dea.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:31PM

Yes you have. Someone was angry and started a thread about me and you said I was anti-Christian. I wouldn't accuse you of it if I didn't read it.

The Golden Rule doesn't work as anything more than a feel good aphorism for those who can't think for themselves. Even Christ in the New Testament only considered it as a stepping stone to his ultimate doctrine of love others as I love you. People who don't analyze the idea tend to love it.

"Sorry, but there is some good in everything."

I consider that another aphorism that is only believed when left unchallenged. My challenge of that is very far from being anti-Christian, and has nothing to do with those who are considered anti-Christian.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:32PM

I couldn't disagree more.I guess you are saying I don't think or haven't analyzed the Golden Rule because my interpretation isn't the same as yours.Frannkly I find that a little insulting.I assure you that I do think and do so quite frequently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 11:35PM by bona dea.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:33PM

There is no evidence that has been presented to peer review that establishes the Golden Rule is sound. Until then, it's just plain silly and ridiculous to follow such a rule.

I grew up going to a christian church. I guess I always thought Jesus' teachings were mostly a metaphor. I don't remember every believing he walked on water, rose from the dead, or claimed to be the (unique) son of god. I do remember thinking people were reading him much different than I did. In my opinion, many people who have a beef with Jesus are listening to the wrong people when deciding what Jesus was all about. For me, the golden rule is about the simplest summary of what he was about. But, if you want to set up a straw man and take a run at a windmill, he's a good place to start.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:42PM

You assume that because this board is for ex-mormons, then it is exclusivley the dwelling place of atheists.. This is not the case, although certain board members may wish it was ..There are many who have a deep and abiding belief in God -yet certainly not the one of the Mormon variety or flavor.

I do not sustain the concepts of #1 or # 2 or even # 3.. Why don't we start an atheist board and let the professed atheists of this board (et.al.) "worship according to the dictates of their own conscience, let them worship who, what, and where they may"

Beth has an excellent point that in and of itself, like any religion, atheism has a set of beliefs that one must adhere to, to be classed as an atheist. Some of the people that are atheist, are just as radical and unyielding and intolerant as many of the TBM's we know..

Wait for the flaming or slamming by those who carry the atheist agenda ..

JB

Date: December 24, 2011 11:03PM

"...atheism has a set of beliefs that one must adhere to, to be classed as an atheist."

What are those beliefs? Other than the one single belief that god does not exist, I would be surprised to see more.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:13PM

Republicommies just love to use the word "agenda".

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:21PM

...Not collecting stamps is a hobby?

Date: December 24, 2011 11:11PM

That's the best total B.S. strawman I've seen all day.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:21PM

Atheists are sticklers for proof about god but willing to go on feeling when taking a position on why a person is gay. And many other positions they hold without demanding proof for their viewpoint. Which is okay. But just as silly and ridiculous.

I never cared why. Didn't see that it mattered.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:46PM

Bonehead, you're the one that has to supply facts to support your belief. I don't have a belief because I don't know.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:49PM

And then ascribe that to "atheists."

Hence the facepalm.

But you made the claim that atheists base their position on gays based on a feeling without any facts or proofs. Then shifted the burden of proof.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:52PM

If you're one who doesn't know, I agree. For those who claim to know, then I think my point stands.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:27PM

*facepalm*

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:32PM

I stand by Raptor in mocking you thingsithink. "Feeling" why someone is gay is a completely religious arguement. Oh yeah, fuck off.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:42PM

It's all about facts, right. Prove it. Don't have an opinion without facts? Last I heard, there is no definitive scientific answer to the question. Of course, I never asked anyone for facts on that particular opinion because I never really cared. Who gives? Does it even matter? If it does, then quit with the face palms and f' offs and give facts (unless you're not one who ridicules others beliefs).

But I am making a point about those who demand facts and ridicule others when they are not presented with acceptable facts. It's the ridicule part that I find absurd.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:58PM

if I don't die first or they don't blow me to kingdom come trying to create antimatter or something. Either way, it's a question of whether I'll be around to hear the explanation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.