Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SilkRose ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:19AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/09/08/2010-09-08_sister_wives_trailer_tlc_reality_show_profiles_a_man_with_four_wives_thirteen_ki.html?r=entertainment

The seven-episode series of "Sister Wives" follows advertising exec Kody Brown – who lives in Utah with his 13 children – as he courts a potential fourth wife, who has three kids herself.

Most of the wives seem at-ease being in a polygamous marriage. "I think we're normal," one wife says in a trailer released this week.

"Some people think, 'how do you feel when he's off with another woman and you know they're having sex?' Well gosh darn it, they better!," another exclaimed.

The Browns aren't always one big happy family. Toward the end of the trailer, one wife confesses, "I knew it would be complicated, but I didn't know it would break my heart."

Brown has no problem making light of an unusual family situation. "She's a sister from the same mister, and he's a brother from another mother!" Kody jokes at one point, pointing out two of his giggling children (apparently from different wives) for TLC's cameras.

Of course, "Sister Wives" isn't the first television show to focus on plural marriages – HBO's "Big Love" stars Bill Paxton as a Utah businessman with three wives.

But the TLC show, which premiers Sept. 26, is the first reality series to focus on polygamous marriages."

This is disturbing on a few levels. I'm not too fond of the sensationalization and normalization of this. However, maybe it will make a few TBM's wake up and have a WTF moment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:28AM

Setting my DVR...Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: SilkRose ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:29AM

looked interesting :)

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:06PM

I think the trailer shows them to be total PERVS! What other explanation could any rational person come up with when they hear that women say that “she hopes they are getting it on in the next room”, I mean total freaks!!! They may think that such a response is what people want to hear in that the women are not jealous of sharing their man with each other but her response to me is down right CREEPY!!!!!!

Posted by: olive ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 04:05PM

+1 for creepiness. I hadn't heard of the show before today and will definitely be watching it. I'm sure that it's all just a show. Who would be ok with someone else being in the marriage? I'm sure that it's more like "I'm really bothered by my husband's relationship with another woman. What if it's better than mine?" etc. etc. I think it's just pure denial how they will say stuff like this or "it's great because we get to split the chores!" all with a smile on their faces.

Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 05:28PM

those women make me sick. i guess if they're cool with their husband sleeping with 3 other women, then whatever. i don't get it. polygamy is one of the main reasons i started questioning the church to begin with.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:39PM

Most people can figure out they are being lied to about 45% -50% of the time, but "truth wizards" have a very finely tuned ability to spot micro-expressions and body language, and can tell when people are not being honest about 80% of the time.

I am following a blog called "Eyes for Lies" written by one of these gifted people, and she has said in a recent post that she will be watching this series, and blogging her observations.

If you would like to encourage her, please do! She mostly blogs about true crime interviews, but sometimes makes exceptions.

(Note: It is her policy to NOT comment about political or religious figures, as she has gotten some very hateful email from zealots, so please don't ask her to review clips of TSCC "authorities" or your favorite politician.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.