Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ed ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 04:45PM

Just heard about this on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/09/24/behar.polygamy.show.cnn?hpt=C2

I can only assume from the title that they are Mormon offshoots. Does anybody here know anything else about this (like which group they are with)?

I could only imagine that the suits in the COB are already freaking out that there mainstreaming campaign is about to take another major hit as everyone will continue to associate Mormons with polygamy for another several years because of this show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 04:51PM

I saw a segment on the Today Show with these freaks and they seem like total pervs to me. One of the wives was asked how she felt about her husband being in the next room getting it on with another woman and she smiled and said that “she sure hoped they were getting it on”. It really made me sick! Also, I was wondering, how can they get away with this and being so public about it? WEIRD!!!!!

Posted by: Desdemona ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 05:18PM

The husband answered this question that way, that he was a fundamentalist Mormon--very different from mainstream Mormons. (yeah right).

I posted a link to a picture I found of one of the wives with pictures of Mormonads behind her. They aren't going to be able keep the lines drawn between LDS and FLDS very easily.

Also, the husband is only legally married to the first wife. The others are just be considered mistresses by law. That's how it is legal. Why these women would agree to this living situation I really can't understand though....

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 10:49PM

"Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints"

Bhahaha!!!! This show will negate every penny and more that the Morg has spent on the "we are just normal people" ads.

The husband is cocky and the wives have happy smiles glued in place and want people to be open-minded about their "faith-based" lifestyle in a painfully earnest way.

Another clip has one of the wives dissolving in tears, and saying that she only stays because of her child.

Posted by: ed ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 11:37PM

That was precisely my thought. Every time the Morg leaders think that they have successfully ditched the polygamy label, something like this happens.

Personally, I am just laughing my ass off at the whole thing.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 10:52PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=11720742

I love how they call them a Fundamentalist Mormon family.

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 11:59PM

My TBM aunt actually posted that interview on Facebook today, evidently in an effort to get out in front of the controversy. After making it painfully clear that "Mormons aren't allowed to practice polygamy" she let us all know that she thought it was "gross".

It makes me angry that TBMs try to emotionally distance themselves from polygamy, as though they believe it's a dirty and vile act, while simultaneously putting their arm to the square for D&C 132 and teaching about polygamy in the CK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 11:59PM by mateo.

Posted by: xaub ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 01:00AM

He and his women are members of the Apostolic United Brethren or AUB. I have known him for a number of years. His third wife is my first cousin. I just watched the clip on the news. Kody states that they "aren't affiliated with the Mormon Church anymore than Protestants are with Catholics." What a load of crap. They fully support 'old joe' and his teachings. If you asked them what religion they are, the common answer would be Mormon. "But we're not affiliated with the Mormon Church."

In one of their interviews on The Today Show, Kody was asked what prompted this lifestyle. It's funny how he hesitates before saying, "well...it's...uh, faith based." And then this line gets used several more times throughout the interview by the mistresses.

I am curious if they will give the world a glimpse of the 'old joe' garments. What I refer to as 'long johns with a twist.'

In retrospect, they are a better representation of a polygamous situation. I don't agree with the lifestyle, but I will defend 'consenting adults' rights to make that choice for themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 01:04AM by xaub.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 03:08AM

What does he do for a living to support that lifestyle? Is it something within the AUB or...? I just can't imagine any mainstream career that wouldn't take a hit by being so open about his lifestyle on this show.

As for the legality and whatnot... there are plenty of polyamorous families with multiple "wives" or "husbands" so this doesn't really seem very different.

I'm also curious about what his second wife does. And how is your Cousin insured if she doesn't work and isn't his legal wife?

So many questions....

Posted by: a preacher ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 09:03AM

Meh. It's just more Gentile fascination and marketing using the religio-sexual mores and intrigue of Mormon polygamy as a tantalizing diversion, trying to attract the attention of a secular culture becoming so bored with its sexualizing of everything else. But the Brethren won't like it, so I guess that's good.

Next, we'll be hearing about speed dating for cougars from South Beach in the New Russia. Connie Stevens and Marlo Thomas will host. Yakov Smirnov will be our guide through the brilliant, boozy dens of iniquity there.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 11:05AM

Well that's good. Yet another excuse for the press department to issue furious press releases insisting that these people aren't Mormons.

It's funny just how embarassed Mormonism is by polygamy. Yet, last time I checked, Section 132 was still scripture.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 03:26PM

My sister-in-law, brother, and their kids were/are in it.

It's more enlightened and friendlier than FLDS or the Kingstons, but it's still a slimy offshoot of the larger more mainstream mormons. When I was a kid, I went to some of their meetings and was friends with several girls near my age. A couple of the wives hid out in trailers behind our house and one lived inside our home with her kids for a time during the raids of the 1950s.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:11AM

Is that the big red church? Isn't one of the clans known for their red church? I could be imagining it.

Date: September 27, 2010 08:46AM

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 06:57PM

I know of two main functioning limits groups in bluffdale Utah. I am in two meetings in both groups and have met many of their members. One of my best friends is a baptize member of the polygamous churches in bluffdale. I to a missionary lessons from one of the group's, and accidentally walk into their small temple. It only had a baptismal font and meeting areas to meet and to perform marriages, plual marriages. I was invited to have dinner with one of the leaders and seven of his 15 wines. It was a nice event and I was able to ask many questions. They do mostly home schools and are losing most of their youth.

Posted by: rwg ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:49PM

While I don't care how adults live their sexual lives I see this kind of thing as a very anti-boy situation. When the boys grow up the old geezers, intent on keeping the young stuff for themselves, drive them off. IN that way it is also anti-girl; they are deprived of realistic choices. We all know this. That is the only thing I have against this kind of set-up. If that man and those women are happy with their situations, ok, but remember how it affects the next generation negatively. That is the only reason I would advocate the enforced prohibition of their so-called families.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:17AM

There's no way to enforce a prohibition on what is basically an alternative lifestyle. Prohibitions on practices within those communities can be enforced - like no underage marriages. However, someone can have sex with/procreate with/live with as many partners as one desires. Sure, they have a religious layer, but what about the many polyamorous people who live in multi-partner situations like they do. Their commitments aren't via "legal" channels, so I'm not really sure what the problem is with a man and a group of women (or the reverse, as it happens in some polyamorous settings according to the documentaries I've seen) who want to live together as a multi-partner family.

Personally, I think it is an insane way of living and not for me at all, but as long as they aren't breaking laws and having many partners living together isn't breaking a law, then I see no problem. Sure, it's probably embarrassing for the kids, but my father was a very well known drunk and addict, who insisted on drunkenly babbling to friends when I invited them over to the point where friends stopped coming over. I don't know if having multiple sister-mothers and half siblings would have been any more embarrassing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 03:20AM by wittyname.

Posted by: bookworm ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:01AM

DH and I watched it this evening. The families had all those cheesy Greg Olsen Jesus pictures all over their house. Plus, the kicker... I noticed they had the "proclamation to the world" on their wall as well. Yeah, they are really not associated with the Mormon church. Bulls*%+

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 08:42AM

When presenting the possibility of a fourth wife to the kids it seems the teen-aged children were the ones with reservations, making comments like "everything's going smoothly now".

I wonder what the teens think of polygamy and if it would be taboo for any of the teens to consider one of their own siblings as a potential mate.

Is it just me or does the male seem to be trying too hard to appear happier than average?

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 09:00AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 09:05AM by thithterthim.

Date: September 27, 2010 09:13AM

Posted by: JMoney ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:04PM

We saw it last night too. Kody needs a new haircut. He looks like Jeff Daniels on "Dumb and Dumber".

When we first were watching it I kept saying to myself "How could they live like this?" Then I realized they are brainwashed like I was. They think its right and its going to get them to the celestial kingdom.

I also told my wife this is what our families would look like if the mainstream LDS church didn't abandon polygamy due to political pressure.

Also, when I heard them pray it made me feel weird. Its exactly how LDS do it.

Date: September 27, 2010 12:25PM

here are a few ways they are the same.

1. How they pray, family prayer, food blessings, individual prayer at night, and in church meetings, they use the same terminology and follow the same patterns. Most of them even use that phrase about "nourish and stregthen our bodies." They usually kneel for family and individual prayer and they fold their arms like mainstream mormons do.

2. They have the same scripture and they honor Joe Smith and the early pioneers.

3. They use the same hymns. When I attended, they usually sang "God Be With You 'Til we Meet Again" as the closing song.

4. They use the same terms for their leaders, bishop, prophet, whatever.

5. They use the same terms and procedures for their rituals, priesthood, baptism, sealing and such.

6. They eat like mormons but some of them don't follow the WofW because it started to be enforced after many groups split off.

7. Most of them dress like mormons but sometimes with higher necks and longer sleeves. Some of the women don't cut their hair, but other do.

8. They have the same markings on their garments if they wear them.

9. They follow the same "high standards" about no cursing or sex before marriage, but they lapse just like the LDS.

10. They feel persecuted even if they're not.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:41PM

Or no faith. Makes no difference to me that they are like Mormons in many ways. It's a non issue with me.

They are living an alternate life style that they choose for themselves and, apparently, they take responsibility for it and make it work. And WORK they do, lots of jobs in that household. It has advantages the wives and husband prefer.

Some may continue it, some may not.
They looked to me like a happy, grateful, positive family that work together and enjoy each other.
I say: go for it.
I don't have a problem with it.

Date: September 27, 2010 12:51PM

You claim that they take responsibility and have a right to live as they do.

I don't think they arej as responsible and happy as they look to you. Neither are mainstream mormons as wonderful as they appear in their canned commercials on TV and radio.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:35PM

The polygamous men usually don't have jobs; the women work.

They can call themselves anything they want; they still believe in Joseph Smith, the BOM, the D&C, and the Masonic temple rituals. This is not a "non-issue" with me, because the Mormons are lying! This is basic, "fundamental" Mormonism, that this lifestyle is a model for their Celestial Kingdom. It is a huge issue!

Maybe they could call this group: Mormons against Mitt Romney.

Mormon Utah will have them arrested as an example, and get them off the TV, ASAP.

I hope this show gets lots of buzz. I want polygamy to be exposed! I want Mormon lies to be exposed! I son't watch this garbage--but anything that makes people think is good.

These are not "mistresses" folks.

Legally, these women are the guy's "common-law" wives, meaning they have been co-habiting for many years (over 7 in most states, but I don't know about Utah), have had children together, have pooled their incomes, etc. This law was made to protect women and children.

Are we the only ones (other then Susie Q) who think this lifestyle is abusive to women?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 01:42PM by forestpal.

Date: September 27, 2010 01:48PM

It IS abusive to women. As bad as mainstream mormonism treats women, this is WAY worse.

It is also much worse for the children than the grown women and it's very very bad for the young boys if they are turned out on the streets and left for dead so as to keep more females to service alpha males.

Date: September 27, 2010 03:03PM

Posted by: New UT grad student ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:03PM

They seem well-meaning but brainwashed, but meh. It's a totally unsustainable lifestyle. Human beings don't come in that sort of female to male ratio and 8+ births per woman is not ecologically viable in terms of water, fuel, or energy consumption.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 03:04PM

It concentrates the genetic base with one guy fathering so many children. VERY irresponsible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.