Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:22PM

It was 15 years ago this week I started this site with the intention of it running for only a year or two at most. Where does the time go?

There are many people who have helped keep this running and deserve a great deal of thanks. Also to the regulars and old timers who return on occasion, who provide help to the newbies. This place would not exist without you.

Hopefully there will be a face lift on the site before the end of the year.

Off to band practice...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:28PM

Wow! That's very cool, and to think, I've been here for ten of 'em. Many thanks to Eric K., Susan IS, and to all who have posted here over the years. I have appreciated all of the work and support. Kudos to all.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:07AM

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS58S-xPdzI

'Nuff said!

Thanks, E!

Timothy

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:29PM

Thank you!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:44PM

What a great legacy you created--talk about "giving back". Thanks Eric and Susan IS

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:44PM

Has it really been almost that long since I've been out? I'm one of your original posters and always celebrate my time out with yours. Thank you SO much for being here all these years. This BB has been incredibly supportive.

toto

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:49PM

You should really be proud! Just think of all the people you have helped.

Thank you.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:51PM

We all appreciate the time and effort that you and the other admins put into this site. It has helped me and countless others in so many ways. I've been reading/posting here for over 4 years now. Thanks for providing this healing/growing venue for those of us who need it :)

TG

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:52PM

As Mr. Deity would say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

And a special thank you to "Ether." (((hugs)))

Just wonder how I would have ever found the courage to make it out had I not found this BB.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 01:28PM

This means that Eric K is beating Joseph Smith! JS was the leader of his church for fourteen years.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 01:48PM

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 01:51PM

Thank you!

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 02:07PM

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 02:13PM

I'm a newbie to posting, but have lurked for quite awhile before that. Some days I couldn't have made it through without this board.

Thank you!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 05:50PM

Me too. RfM has become one of my most trusted friends.THANKS!

Posted by: Madison40 ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 02:34PM

Thanks Erik and all the volunteers who have kept this site running for 15 years. You have helped many people discover the fraud of Mormonism and leave that church. This site was a major fact in my leaving and submitting my resignation last year.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 03:02PM

Thank you so much for this site. It is so nice to have a place to vent and to know that we are not alone in finding the real truth.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 03:19PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 03:26PM

...all the behind-the-scenes others who have devoted hours to the creation and upkeep of this healing site!

We love RfM!

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 05:11PM

You're doing so much good! And thanks to Susan and everyone else who contributes their time, talents and resources, to keep it going.

CONGRATULATIONS on reaching the "BIG 1-5" !!!

: ) : ) : )

Posted by: jbryan ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 05:26PM

Great news! That's one year for each member of the Quorum of the Twelve and those other Three Stooges Monsoon, Earring, and Unkdork.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 05:31PM

Without this site I would still be lost. This site helped me in a major way to get out of TSCC. The first time I found this site was at a real library outside of UT, and I was so scared to log on, or to even see the discussions on the board..As I look back, that was what the cult does to people....Makes them scared of their own shadow!!! I am NOT afraid of that Bishop from Hell anymore or his goons and cronies!!! I am back in the real world again, and not afraid anymore! Thank you so much!!!! Utah Mo No More!!!!!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 05:46PM

The board was somewhat slower, then. And the software did not know what a £ was, and if you put the @ symbol in, it created a hyperlink that went nowhere! ;o))

And we had so much fun.

I was the only ex-Mormon I knew, and I was so, so lonely.

One day I thought: "I can't be the only ex-Mormon! I wonder if there's anything online?"

So I searched (Ask Jeeves, I think) and I found Eric's site, RFM.

I read the stories (20 or so, back then?) and eventually I plucked up the courage to join the Ex-Mormon Board. I am so happy that I did. I have made some firm friends over the years. Some are still here, some left the board, some died, but they are still with us, so long as we who remain still frequent this board.

There have been attempts to close the board down, or to take it over, but Eric and Susan and CZ and others (some still here) have worked their arses off to keep it here, to keep it real. I was even able to add my help for a while. It was a way of repaying some of the great debt I know we RFMers owe to Eric.

Once again, thank you Eric.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 05:46PM by matt.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:33AM

...for about a week? We could look online one day and come back in a few days to see the same stories?

I was scared of the anger on the board at that time but years later the anger seemed normal to me. The board didn't change, but I definitely did for the better.

I love this place, thank you Eric, Susan I/S and everyone else.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:08AM

Check it out:

http://www.rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon109.html

I'm quoted in there somewhere.

Timothy

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 05:55PM

to add my thank you to the others. and one of the best things is the people I've met IRL because of this board and community who will be lifelong friends. thank you for all you do.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 05:59PM

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 06:05PM

...have done something so great in the past 15 years, something so helpful, something that provides help and hope?

Bravo, Susan, Eric, CZ and whomever else I may have omitted!

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 06:13PM

I think I found this site and joined the Spring or Summer after it was originated. I rarely post but often read. The first few years I had read every history that was posted. I often felt appreciative of the site but never expressed it.

Thank You

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 07:35PM

Thank you Eric, Susan, and everyone else for all you do! My life is forever changed for the better because of you.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 07:54PM

Wow. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary. That's longer than I've even been on-line. I got my first computer about November of '98. But at that time I ended up being a host in an LDS chat room, with the ex-Mos causing me no end of trouble. LOL Twelve years later, here I am on RfM.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 09:01PM

A BIG thank you for everyone who contributes to this board in one way or another. It is my window to the world outside the morridor. I appreciate the differing views, opinions and information shared by all.

Happy Anniversary RFM!!!

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 11:21PM

Posted by: joho ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:35AM

If not for RFM, I would still be culting around.

Thanks, and cheers

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:25AM

Woooooooooo Hoooooooo!! Been here for 5!

;o)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 06:20PM

RfM has been a big help to me, and I've made some good friends here. I won't wish you another 15 years of RfM, but thank you Eric and Susan and CZ and everyone else for your hard work.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 07:02PM

I joined when everyone was all a' buzz that Tal Bachman was about to join us. Didn't know who he was. Good times.

Thanks, Eric, for everything. RFM is a haven for those who are figuring it all out; a "soft place to land."

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 07:14PM

Thank you Eric & Susan I/S for making this board possible, and thank you to all you posters for keeping it interesting and addictive as crack. :0)

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:26PM

Stunning. I first found RfM back in '98. It was so very helpful. I pop in a few times a year now just to see how things are going.

I also remember warmly those RfM-ers whom we have lost.

Thanks Eric and Susan.

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:48PM

Wow! It's been that long?

I found RfM in '98 or '99 but didn't start posting immediately; I think I waited a year or so. I remember reading the stories late into the night and getting so angry and sobbing for the hell the writers had gone through.

Congratulations and thanks to Erik, Susan, CZ and everyone who is or has helped keep this place functioning. It's a thankless job most of the time and how you all keep your humor is nothing short of miraculous (and I don't believe in miracles).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:58AM

Keep up the good work !

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:01AM

Wow! Too make a point about how long that is, I've only been alive eight more years than this board has been online. And I've been on the board for three years.

Pretty soon, the board is going to be outdating the posters on it.

Thank you again for all you do guys.

Posted by: penatua ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:23AM

What an accomplishment! Donna and I had the good fortune to host Eric one evening at our home in Dallas. Such a gentleman! I guess I've been reading RfM for about 12 years. I don't post much anymore, but always check in now and then to see what's happening. Reading this thread brought back a flood of emotion. It still happens after all these years. But the emotion is colored with relief nowadays, instead of anger. Best wishes Eric, from both of us,

Donna and Mark Banta

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:27AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 01:32AM by Heidi GWOTR.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:29AM

Didn't RfM just turn 10? *wink* I have been hanging my hat at RfM since '98. My personal life has taken me thru mulitple moves. I have married off children, become a grandparent, buried loved ones, and ....divorced. I have left old friends, made new buddies, and found some lost friendships that became rekindled. One constant, this place still remains.

Thanks admin!! Luv ya :)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:02AM

Thank you. The site contributed to me giving my resignation back in June 2010. I started with reading The Double Bind. I never used to post. I was so afraid someone would be mean to me (I don't know why!) and I was in such a fragile state I could not take confrontation then of any negative kind. So I just read the many wonderful comments and insights. Then someone on here said how to get out and how to write the letter. I was so scared my whole world and family would crumble. But I had seen others had done it and so it gave me strength. Without the site and the supportive people on it, I would still be in the horrible no man's land. So thank you to everyone who has encouraged someone in love. Love and Truth are more precious than gold.

Posted by: Route66Kid ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 10:22PM

Eric,

It was about six weeks after you put this site online that I found it and about three months later that I departed the Faith. Rest assured that your efforts have done a lot of people a lot of good. Thanks again!

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:42PM

Thanks for making my journey out SO much more well informed!!

You guys are great...

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:31AM

I think it's going on 9 years that I've been here.
My DH found the stories. I found the board...and read then posted.
I resigned 7 years ago.

I am here most days. It's my "life line" and keeps me sane so I can continue loving my TBM family.

This board is my quiet place for healing.

Thank You
K

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:39AM

Thanks Eric. It's amazing the connections I've made here over the years. The people with whom I've corresponded here have changed my whole life. This was the first place I ever started discussed my background in polygamy online.

Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 08:10AM

I'm fairly new to the board, been reading every day for about 18 months, but only very occasionally post as a comment on other posts. Still too nervous to do it, but love reading. I can identify with so many of people's experiences, & love the humour also in other posts. Congratulations & keep up the good work!

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:24PM

meeeeeowwww I R Not a funnziez Catz. meow hmmmmph. Serioz Kattz I Z Zerioux

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:22PM

Wish I could give back for the 8 year of Fun I had here.... meowww

But now we have to get Oxy pads, and bigger clothes, runners, pants, and have to get the Learner's photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 12:28PM by happycat.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:32PM

I wouldn't be free and happy and where I am today if I hadn't accidentally googled into comments made on this site. And it would have been so much harder to take a stand on what I knew, without the support on this site. I don't even know how to thank you and the others here for that.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:42PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 02:06PM

Just like the site helps people in transition out of Mormonism, it helps us nevermo parents of converts to really understand what our kids have gotten themselves into. And it also gives us hope that one day our precious child will see a way out. Thanks.

Posted by: Mary ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 06:25PM

This is the site that first made me think, "Maybe the Church isn't actually true!" It was a complete shock, but it opened up so many possibilities.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.