Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 01:33PM

"No success outside the home can compensate for failure inside the home" - Some Mormon Douchebag

Isn't this forum proof-positive that Elohim is a failure? And isn't it interesting that even the god of Mormonism doesn't live up to Mormon standards?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 23, 2012 01:52AM

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 23, 2012 01:54AM

Do you mean because his kids can't seem to get along and have to go around tempting and killing each other?

Date: January 23, 2012 02:03AM

Precisely. And of course the raping, stealing, and lying to each other doesn't help matters any.

Over 99% of Elohim's kids don't follow his plan. That means Elohim is a 99% failure.

Date: January 23, 2012 02:15AM

That's actually pretty funny and compelling.

I can already hear them whining about free agency, but you would seriously think that a parent with those kind of resources would have a much better track record.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 23, 2012 10:42AM

What about The Flood? What's "free" about a choice that gets everybody drowned?

What's "free" about the Apocalypse where God gets even with those who choose the wrong by burning one third of everyone living?

If the Mormon Church really believed in free agency, there would be no carrot-sticking for every little thing. There would be no hell and no punishment/rewards.

Now THAT would be a fair test of Satan's plan vs. Jesus' plan.

Anagrammy

Date: January 23, 2012 03:35PM

I do remember thinking, when I was trying to make sense of the insensible, that if this really were a test it would be much more effective without the insider information and rulebook. You know, just throw us down here and see what we're really made of when left to our own devices. Now THAT would be a test.

Date: January 24, 2012 01:01AM

Yeah, and how about the fact that the eternal fate of 99% of Elohim's kids rests on the ability of 19-21 year old missionaries not chasing away the holy spirit by masturbating?

"It's all bullshit folks, and it's bad for ya." - George Carlin

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 11:47AM

Yes, Pista. You put it perfectly I have thought that for so long. If the mormon church were true, the favoritism being shown would just be sickening.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: January 23, 2012 10:32AM

DH pointed this out to me the other day--why are we held to a higher standard than God? Why are we, as imperfect people, learning on the job as parents, expected to be more successful than someone who lost 1/3 of his kids in the beginning and isn't doing so hot with the other 2/3?

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: January 23, 2012 01:03PM

Awesome. God sucks at parenting......and most of his kids believe that he must hate them.

Compare a book on parenting to the parenting styles God uses and it proves he should be the poster child for abusive parenting.

Lessons from God:

Story of Job teaches: Torture your kids

Story of Moses teaches: Let your kids wander in the streets lost. Kill them if they don't obey.

Story of Jonah teaches: Feed kids to the biggest sea animal within proximity.

Story of Adam teaches: Give kids contradicting rules...punish them no matter which one they choose.

Story of Abraham teaches: Tell children to kill their offspring. Stop them at the last moment just to see if they would kill their baby to prove their love to parent.

Story of Isrealites teaches: Tell your children that they are more special and superior of a race than anyone else on the earth. Actually it would be telling one child he is better than all of your other children.......so he can legally and morally go ahead and kill all the others. It's what daddy wants you to do to your brothers and sisters.

God is so so good at parenting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 01:05PM by upsidedown.

Date: January 24, 2012 11:49AM

Thank you. That is going right in my exmo file.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 23, 2012 01:08PM

It doesn't matter how happy, healthy and loving your family is if you don't do all the Mormon stuff -- so the church tells us.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 23, 2012 01:20PM

Ironically, it was this statement that saved my marriage after my wife went inactive... I love my wife, always have. When she went inactive and I started getting pressure to do something about it, I held on to this statement. I wasn't going to force her to go to church, even when I was at my most "believing" time, it just didn't feel right to force someone to go to church. While she pointed out just how much time the church was taking me away from her, she never really pressed me to stop going either.

When everyone was giving subtle hints about leaving her or blaming her, etc... I kept thinking that there was nothing that could compensate for failure in the home. I loved my wife and leaving her would have been a huge loss for me and would have been a failure in the home. I took that statement to mean that my relationship, my home, and success there was more important than anything. So, I stuck with the marriage, eventually went inactive myself and years later, found myself here, finally free from the church.

So, now, even though I see that this statement is drivel when applied to the church, it kept me from ruining a wonderful marriage with a great woman.

Posted by: outofthere ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 12:07PM

That's a wonderful story, though. You resisted the temptation to blame your spouse. That is why you are still married. That feeling also helped me see that the church was wrong, because my husband was more ready than me to leave, and for a moment I wanted to stick with it and blame him for everything. And I realized that was evil and the church was encouraging me to do it. Unconditional love is the answer.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:13AM

This was the mantra used to keep my generation of women out of school and careers and making babies.

I wanted school and career. This little ditty saw to it that didn't happen. My parents sang this like a broken record. Thanks David O.
Problem was, no school. no career. no husband. Now what?
answer kmart. I'm 27. Considered an old maid. Suddenly everyone thinks I should go to school and get a career.
Instead I picked a choice not on the list. I married a nevermo, had 2 kids and went to school and had a career.
Moral of the story: One size does not fit all.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 11:23AM

"No success in public life can compensate for failure in the home."

I think Theodore Roosevelt quoted Disraeli first before the quote landed on the lips of David O. McKay.

Hooray for Jesus.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 11:26AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 11:54AM

Is succeeding in your personal testimony the same thing as succeeding outside the home?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 12:17PM

The real problem with this quote is that Mormons took it to mean women would be failures inside the home if they had any successes outside of the home. And the same for men but to a lesser extent.

They underestimated peoples ability to have a balanced life.
As usual mormons took a little saying and turned it into something extreme.

Just think if he would have said:
We are a strong capable people. Capable of success both in our homes and out in the world. Support each other, and help each other be succesful in all of your righteous pursuits.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 12:22PM

McKay ripped line off that famous line from Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881), a renowned British politician, novelist and essayist who said:

(Simran Khurana, "Benjamin Disraeli Quotations A Collection of Benjamin Disraeli Quotations," at: http://quotations.about.com/od/stillmorefamouspeople/a/BenjaminDisrae1.htm)

You've even got Mormons admitting McKay cribbed it:

"My [LDS] church leaders repeatedly emphasized this teaching: 'No other success can compensate for failure in the home.' (Benjamin Disraeli as paraphrased by President David O. McKay)."

("Green Oasis," under "Family First, 5 July 2007, at: http://www.blakeclan.org/jon/greenoasis/tag/conscience/index.html)
_____

**"No success can compensate for words that aren't my own."

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 12:04AM by steve benson.

Date: January 24, 2012 01:04PM

Date: January 24, 2012 11:31PM

If Elohim can't inspire Mormonism's false prophets with their own revealed inspirational lines, simply steal quotes from deceased Gentiles and call it your own.

To review the rip-off:

David O. McKay (1873-1970) is perhaps best known for his oft-quoted little couplet (which, come to find out, wasn't his after all):

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."

(cited on an official LDS website, from J. E. McCullough, "Home: The Savior of Civilization" [1924], 42; Conference Report, April 1935, p. 116, at: http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/controllers/potcController.jsp?leader=9&topic=quotes; see also, Julie M. Smith, "Book Review: David O. McKay: Beloved Prophet," on "Times and Season: 'Truth Will Prevail,'" at: http://www.timesandseasons.org/?p=2252)

McKay had, in fact, purloigned that famous line from Disraeli, who said it before McKay did:

INTERESTING SIDENOTE: I previously found Disraeli's "no success" quote on wikipediat, at: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

Checking back there today, however, that quote is no longer on that site.

Since one can go on to wiki and anonymously edit the articles of others, it does not seem beyond the realm of reasonable possibility that a true-believing Mormon (in an all-too-typical dishonest effort to keep McKay's mythological image as a "prophet" intact) snuck in to the wiki artilce and took it out.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 11:45AM by steve benson.

Date: January 25, 2012 12:27AM

Here's the July 15, 2010 snapshot:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100715203208/http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

As you can see, the quote is in the "Unsourced" section. Only the quote has disappeared and not the Unsourced section. It wasn't moved to the "Misattributed" section either.

Here's the May 14, 2011 snapshot:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110514030631/http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

Date: January 25, 2012 02:17AM

"'The Plagiarizing Moves On': In the Long LDS Tradition of Unoriginal & Uninspired "Prophets"--Joseph Smith, David O. Mckay, Ezra Taft Benson, Merrill J. Bateman & Bruce R. McConkie," posted by steve benson, "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 11 April 2011, at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,163604,163836,quote=1
_____

The now-vanished Disraeli quote was on "wikipedia" as of July 15, 2010, and read: "No success in public life can compensate for failure in the home."

http://web.archive.org/web/20100715203208/http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

It was gone from the same "wikipedia" page entirely by May 14, 2011 (38 days after my RfM post appeared noting the McKay plagiarism of Disraeli):

http://web.archive.org/web/20110514030631/http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 04:02PM by steve benson.

Date: January 24, 2012 01:01PM

Any success as a bishop or any other calling is success OUTSIDE the home.

My father was bishop for 11 years__from when I was nine until twenty one. Three of those years were spent building the ward house. He spent every evening and Saturdays building it. I also spent evenings and saturdays building it.

It ruined my relationship with my Dad when I was young. After the first few years I actually wanted him to be gone all the time. I realized later that he did love me and we rebuilt, but...

The church rips families apart. "No success in life compensates for failure in the home" is a sound concept. However, when it comes out of a TBM mouth, it is just a hollow platitude.

And the Mormon God throws every curve there is to make you fail.

Nothing makes me madder or sicker than hearing mormons talk about the importance of family.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:04PM

Doesn't this standard mean that Joseph Smith was a failure as none of his children followed the Brighamite church to Utah?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 07:45PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:37PM

“No Other Success Can Compensate for Failure in the Home” – said by (former prophet) David O. McKay

http://seminary.lds.org/manuals/doctrine-and-covenants-and-church-history-seminary-student-study-guide/dc-ssg-8-dom.asp

How many imperfect parents (the only kind there are) have been guilted *forever* because their Mormon-raised children didn’t turn out the way the LDS church said they should?! <gag>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 01:46PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 05:06PM

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." - David O. McKay, who is dead and doesn't count anymore. Don't shoot the messenger, that's just how the church works.

Ron

Posted by: happily mormon ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:42PM

One might ask, “If the gospel is so wonderful, why would anyone leave?”

Sometimes we assume it is because they have been offended or lazy or sinful. Actually, it is not that simple. In fact, there is not just one reason that applies to the variety of situations.

Some of our dear members struggle for years with the question whether they should separate themselves from the Church.

In this Church that honors personal agency so strongly, that was restored by a young man who asked questions and sought answers, we respect those who honestly search for truth. It may break our hearts when their journey takes them away from the Church we love and the truth we have found, but we honor their right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own conscience, just as we claim that privilege for ourselves. - Dieter F Uchtdorf.

I respect that you don't like the Church, disagree with the church teachings and even the idea of mormons and God. I might not agree with you but I do respect you all. I honor your right to air your views and disagree 'according to the dictates of your own conscience'. Peace and blessings and heartfelt love to you all. Nothing else. Just that. I will keep an eye on your teachings and professions if you don't mind me stopping in to your church some time or rather.

Posted by: horsegirl ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:48PM

My parents taught this and still do. I was told that school didn't matter that my husband would take care or me while I did the only job that should matter to a woman being a mom. What crap!! I put mt ex through school and then he left me and our daughter. Good thing I had a career or we would have been in trouble. I went back to school got a couple of degrees and married a never mo. I couldn't be happier.

I tell my college age daughter to never put someone else's school before hers. Luckily she is very career and school minded, also not involved with church at all. My mom took her aside and told her she needed to quit school and find a husband because she needs to start having kids. She's 21! Of course she didn't listen, in her eyes grandma is a bit

Posted by: Colefusion ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 08:11PM

I love this quote which is no doubt similar to what others have said over time. It has helped me prioritize my family when making decisions about career and life pursuits.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 08:19PM

By the Cult's criterion, I'd be an abject failure. Which just goes to show how fucked up their measuring stick it. Married to a wonderful Catholic girl for 41+ year whom I never tried to convert and visa-versa. I farmed successfully for 35 years, raised 2 kids and have 3 grandchildren who we never saddled with the expectation of attending church every Sunday. I'm proud to have gone against everything the cult preaches.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.