Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nolongerin ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 10:19PM

I sent this email July 1. Received a letter from Greg Dodge via snail mail (though we have moved and I did not provide my new snail mail address) the day RFM crashed. I was really bummed that I couldn't share my news here first, but I did post it on postmormon.org.

Here is where I sent my resignation, and what I said. Hope someone finds it helpful.

sent to dodgegw@ldschurch.org

My name is Nolongerin. My birthdate is _________. I was baptized and confirmed on November ___, 1976. I hereby resign my membership from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I hereby terminate my consent to be treated as a member of said church and I withdraw my consent to submit to the church's beliefs and ecclesiastical disciplinary procedures. You must now treat me as a nonmember in all your dealings with me. From this day forward, I expect that my name will be removed from all church records, and that I will not be contacted by any church representatives for any reason, except via email verification of the receipt of this resignation.

Sincerely,

Nolongerin

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 10:46PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:03PM

I'm heard of it working by snailmail, email, face to face, on a scratch paper, and by phone. I think the easiest way has always been by an official letter sent via US mail. But there might be reasons to try the other methods which would open up the process for others in the future.

Nowadays, morg locals sometimes just offer to take care of it without so many formalities. They want to clear their lists of riff-raff who make their attendance records and donations look bad.

Date: September 24, 2010 10:50PM

I have it. I can scan it, but basically it said that my resignation had been accepted, I am no longer a member, and if I ever decide to change my mind I should speak with my local leaders. No guilt, no come back brochure, no visits with local leaders. It was easy!

Posted by: sfex ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 11:03PM

Posted by: sfex ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 11:04PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 11:12PM

as they don't really remove your record.

Also making it this easy to resign would invite emotionally driven resignations, you know, folks who were really were personally offended.

How do you verify that a fraud is not taking place?

I mean it seems like they just would not really institute that kind of change when you think of all the implications.

Maybe its a test run.

But if I were you I would get someone to verify you've been tagged. If you don't know someone who can check then maybe a board member here at RFM can help with that.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 11:02PM

wow good to know........

I will spread the word.

Thank You
A

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 11:23PM

in the thread I started. Someone told us of a similar outcome.

Way to go!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 06:50PM

at http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm "Leaving the Mormon Church: How To Get Out".

Let's hope this continues to work!

Please, everybody - report back results!

Date: September 26, 2010 08:20AM

Shummy, I was the one who also posted on postmormon.....so I don't know how many other people it has worked for. Richard, thanks for updating the "how to resign" article....I am humbled to think that anything I have done has contributed to your wonderful page. BTW, your sourdough recipes are still my favorites!

AmIDarkNow....I don't know how any of us can ever verify that our names are no longer on the membership rolls. I suspect we can't, and I suspect that in some way, they are still there, just marked a little differently. But...having a copy of a "you're out!" letter from Greg Dodge is closure for some, so whatever way we can obtain that letter....

I agree with Richard; we can only hope this continues to work, and report back the results.

So I suppose there is something to "Return and Report" after all.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 10:51AM

nolongerin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AmIDarkNow....I don't know how any of us can ever
> verify that our names are no longer on the
> membership rolls. I suspect we can't, and I
> suspect that in some way, they are still there,
> just marked a little differently.

You can indeed verify, by telephoning Confidential Records at 801-240-3500 or 800-453-3860 extension 22053, give them your full name and DOB and ask them what their records show as your status. I did this several years ago. I was told I was not a member. I then told him that I used to be a member. The clerk said, "I will have to look in a different database then." He found me listed in a "former members" database with the notation that I had been excommunicated by my own request (the only way it was done then). They had the wrong date, but I was not on the membership rolls.

Some of us get very upset that we are even listed as former members. I think that is perfectly legitimate for them to do so. Any organization or company keeps records of former customers.

Some years ago one very activist and angry ex-Mormon got so upset about it that he somehow got the church to completely expunge his name. Then he noticed that in the ward membership list, his mother's other children were listed, but not him. Then he got irate because "the church refuses to recognize that I even exist!" Some folks seem to want it both ways.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:54AM

RPackham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Some years ago one very activist and angry
> ex-Mormon got so upset about it that he somehow
> got the church to completely expunge his name.

Expungement: an option I would dearly like to have.

No paper trail documenting my membership in a crap-for-brains 'religion'.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 12:48PM

This is wonderful and a good way for those who enjoy computer contact more than snail mail. I hope many will take advantage of it if this truly is beginning to work.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 07:47PM

Even if this is a Okg Sapporo why, or mistake, I'm glad I live long enough to think that it might be possible to get rid of that call to by sitting in front of your computer. Will not have to bow your head and say yes, this into a lecture from a note brain bishop, wait on their timetable, B humiliated, embarrassed, and made to look at is a fool. Even if this is not true I go to bed tonight happy. It is true I expect to be translated before morning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.