Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:36PM

Dr. Oz. from TV says that studies are now showing that caffeine promotes an antibody that kills cancer cells!!! WOW!

Then one time I told my VT "What's wrong with wine? Jesus changed the water into wine! And had some at the last supper!"

She told me "Well back then it was just grape juice."

I was like, "Oh bull! What about all those accounts of people being drunk off their butt from wine in the bible??"

So um... yeah. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 01:09AM by melissa3839.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:41PM

it stays nice and fresh in their refrigerators that God saw fit to teach them how to build.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:44PM

luminouswatcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it stays nice and fresh in their refrigerators
> that God saw fit to teach them how to build.

All those Romans at all those orgies drank grape juice? Who knew?

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:23AM

I was taught my whole life,and believed my whole life,that wine used to be nothing more than grape juice. Of course once I thaught about it,for about 10 minutes,I knew it was a bunch of crap. I mentioned the Jesus and the first miracle/wine to dh not to long ago. Of course he swears it was grape juice. It was funny-I was reading the Bible with my 10 year old ds last month and we got to the wedding/wine chapters. Ds gave this big gasp "but wine is BAD for you!!" I set him straight,real quick,in a loud enough voice that dh could hear in the next room. But I also told him he was much to young to drink wine.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:45PM

that it was much less intoxicating than wine today. I wish I'd had been as quick witted as you with the "drunk off their butt" retort. Well played.

I think I was still gobsmacked that the pastor said the Jews built the pyramids -- out of brick? I told my mother he was preaching from a Charlton Heston movie and that the pyramids were made of stone. She told me to shut up. ;-)

Date: November 21, 2010 08:50PM

Beth Wrote:
> that it was much less intoxicating than wine
> today. I wish I'd had been as quick witted as you
> with the "drunk off their butt" retort. Well
> played.
>
> I think I was still gobsmacked that the pastor
> said the Jews built the pyramids -- out of brick?
> I told my mother he was preaching from a Charlton
> Heston movie and that the pyramids were made of
> stone. She told me to shut up. ;-)
Well, the Romans did water it down and it was considered poor form to drink wine straight, but people did manage to get drunk so I am assuming that it wasn't all that weak or, if it was, they compensated by drinking more.I don't know if Jews watered it down, but since they drank it a lot , they probably did.The idea that they didn't get drunk is ridiculous though

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:54AM

Many, if not most, were made out of mud brick (with some rubble added in). It's one of the reasons why jews eat charoset during the passover seder. It's meant to symbolize the mortar between the bricks when the jews were slaves in egypt building the pyramids.

Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:45PM

Its just like every other unoriginal Mormon thought. The Baptists used to make the same claim about "grape juice." And donchaknow, they weren't drunk in the bible, they were just on an endorphin high from the constant stomping of fresh grape juice! (It doesn't stay fresh long in that heat.)

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:47PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:54PM

LOL I used to think that the wine of the Bible was grape juice too. Stupid cult. It really messes up your logical thinking skills.

Date: November 21, 2010 08:57PM

Greyfort Wrote:
> LOL I used to think that the wine of the Bible
> was grape juice too. Stupid cult. It really
> messes up your logical thinking skills.

I was not taught that it was grape juice. Just that they didn't use it to gt drunk like wicked people today. Riiiight!I was also told that they drank wine because water wasn't safe, true, and that since our water is safe, we no longer have the need of wine. Huh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 08:59PM by bona dea.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 09:01PM

melissa3839 Wrote:
> Dr. Oz. from TV says that studies are now showing
> that caffeine promotes an antibody that kills
> cancer cells!!! WOW!
>
> Then on time I told my VT "What's wrong with wine?
> Jesus changed the water into wine! And had some
> at the last supper!"
>
> She told me "Well back then it was just grape
> juice."
>
> I was like, "Oh bull! What about all those
> accounts of people being drunk off their butt from
> wine in the bible??"
>
> So um... yeah. :)

The "just grape juice" story is crap. Grape Juice would go off. Wine (as it contained alcohol) would not.

And why in the Bible does it tell people to drink wine if God didn't want them to?

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 09:12PM

I suspect a sinister conspiracy involving the Mormon church and the grape juice bottlers. Who knows what ties might exist between Big Grape Juice and the COB? And you can bet that FARMS is right in the middle of it.

Why, I once heard John W. Welch say that ... OMG!

Welch!

Grape juice!

It's ... it's all falling into place!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 09:13PM by oddcouplet.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 09:54PM

Perfected the process of pasteurizing grape juice to stop fermentation. That is where modern grape juice began. Welch was a big believer in the temperance movement and wanted to find a way to serve grape juice instead of wine in his church. Before that, grape juice just fermented and there wasn't much you could do about it. So saying the wine in the bible was just grape juice is pretty disingenuous because all grape juice was also wine (to some extent).

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:20AM

Mormons are famous for not reading the rest of the story. When Jesus turned water into wine the people there went on to compliment them for bring out the good wine at the end. Usually they bring out the cheap wine at the end because people are already tipsy. But Jesus wine was the Good Stuff!

Date: November 22, 2010 12:23AM

Jesus was also accused of being a wine bibber. Sorry, but nobody is getting offended because someone drinks too much grape juice. Give me a freaking break.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:01AM

Mormons can be so stupid and have such short memories. Grape juice, really? Give me a fuckin break. As mentioned unpasuerized juice ferments. Thats why the relief society kept apple cider in the LDS church basement in the 1910's and my grandpa and his buddies would sneak down there once it went hard and get nice and drunk, untill they got caught stealing the sisters hooch.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:05AM

John 2:9-10
9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,
10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/john/2

What the governor of the feast is saying is that usually they put out the really good wine at the beginning before everyone gets drunk. Then they bring out the mediocre wine. But the wine that Jesus made out of perfectly good water is the good stuff.

Jesus was cool like that, unlike the Mormon church.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 05:31AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:40AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:08AM

..and tequila makes her clothes fall off (per the song) but the Morg frowns upon that as well.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.