Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:53AM

I was looking for info on the old faith-promoting story about the SL temple, Brigham Young, elevators and electrical outlets in temple. I had remembered that story from my uber-uber-TBM grandmother. Saw this site and looked around. It seems like a "bait-and-switch" to get someone interested in Mormonism...it is run by a professed "active member of the Church".
Is anyone familiar with this site?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 10:37AM

I've perused it in the past and found it pretty amusing. One of the things I just remembered about my brother's zealousness after his conversion was the temple story: why did Brigham Young have elevator-sized spaces be designed into the temple before electrical and elevator stuff was invented? Another one he told was that ancient Egypt had been doing "brain surgery" and so had ancient meso-americans, as evidenced by skulls with healed over incisions, indicating that the patients survived the surgery. Combine this with pyramids and it was obvious that people traveled to the New World way back then.

I almost bought into this stuff, and wondered if the church was true, but I still wanted to whack off; what's a guy to do...?

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 11:02AM

Life is full of tough choices....

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 11:10AM

They weren't very far along on Temple construction in 1852...

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/elevator.htm

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 03:28PM

There were elevators in use before he got around to it.

I always laughed at that FPR. If Brigham Young was so inspired, then how come he didn't think of all this stuff first and make all that money instead of Mr. Otis? Instead of inventing the elevator, all B.Y. supposedly thought up was the shaft. Appropriate, but even then, not original.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:57AM

all anyone ever got from Briggy was the shaft. (you can take that term to mean whatever you like ;-)).

Posted by: resa ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 01:14PM

ithink that it was in 1853 and i also think that

Posted by: sexy bitch ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 01:15PM

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 02:27AM

https://ojs.lib.byu.edu/spc/index.php/BYUStudies/article/view/6369/6018

(Elevator stuff is addressed in detail starting on page 213.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 02:28AM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: mo2atheist ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 11:27AM

Great find, SL Cabbie.

So much for inspiration.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 03:19PM

Brigham laid the corner stone for the slc temple in 1853.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 03:26PM

Even then, they didn't really get started until well after the civil war, when the railroad came through, and it wasn't completed after that for a good while either. Remember, the Angel Moroni was lowered onto the top of the temple with an electric powered crane, which they thought was an important enough detail to comment about it at great length.

Posted by: Some guy ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:58PM

I don't know if Brigham Young was a Genius or not, but on the subject of being a genius, it seems you think that those that are geniuses know everything. This is pretty laughable.

Einstein failed High School. Big Bang Theory's Sheldon is an EXCELLENT example of this. He can figure out Particle Physics beyond anyone alive, but can't figure out a basic social norm of knocking on a door.

Just today in General Conference, it was said that there is a difference between when a man who is a Prophet is speaking, and when a Prophet who is bringing the words of God to us in this time is speaking.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 12:53AM

Einstein DID NOT fail high school

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/14/science/einstein-revealed-as-brilliant-in-youth.html?pagewanted=all

Of course Sheldon is just a fictional character so that example is pretty worthless.

As for a prophet speaking as a man, if there is no way to tell when he is speaking as a maninstead of as a prophet, then he is pretty worthless as well.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 01:17AM

nonamekid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Einstein DID NOT fail high school
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/14/science/einstein
> -revealed-as-brilliant-in-youth.html?pagewanted=al
> l
>
> Of course Sheldon is just a fictional character so
> that example is pretty worthless.
Come on, be fair; "genius" can be field-specific.

> As for a prophet speaking as a man, if there is no
> way to tell when he is speaking as a maninstead of
> as a prophet, then he is pretty worthless as well.

Worse than worthless, because people are likely to take his false manspeak as prophetic godspeak, and down that road lies atrocities like TSCC. For instance.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 03:25PM

I've no idea. It doesn't look like they are really taking on deep doctrine. It's more like a TBM with a sense of humor. It baffled me too.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 02:12AM

Any person who would deny Albert Einstien's intellectual prowess is saying more about himself than about the scientist.

And to use a TV sitcom character to prove the point? Let me guess, "Some guy" lives in Utah.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 01:20PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.