Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 06:38AM

Did you buy into the whole I'm going to be a God and produce endless spirit babies? Quite frankly that seems like a lot of work to do if you have to met out rewards and punishment for eternity. Also did you wonder where all these planets WHERE? The whole become a God thing really diminishes God since God is just one of many.

Did you realize how much the be a God concept is contrary to Christian religions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 06:49AM

And, I wouldn't want to be married to a polygamous God who takes orders from Mormons.

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:37AM

And being contrary to 'Christian religions'...meh, they can cry.

The "Child of God and I can Grow Up" concept was basically the only ennobling doctrine that kept me around as long as I did!

The rest (all denominations) cried about it as being heresy / blasphemy, but I think, and still do think, it is some of the greatest positive thoughts in the world of pretend ever.

I am a fan of the first Heresiarch Arius in Constantine's First Ecumenical Council of Nicea, which asserted that Jesus and God the Father were "cosubstantial", i.e. of the same divine substance. and his thoughts on Arianism.

If you have to pretend...go big.

In my mind of pretend...if God was perfect...and his 'wife' was perfect...and they had offspring...it isn't POSSIBLE to NOT BE perfect. So the end result is inevitable.

Posted by: EverAndAnon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 03:23PM

Seriously, the difference between a baby insect and a human is far less that a human and a god. Look at the OT and check out the claims that he makes for himself.

Offspring are clearly highly similar to their parents. The acorn doesn't fall THAT far away from the tree.

The whole 'god in embryo' thing is one of the most transparent dodges going.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:28AM

No.
I occasionally thought about how cool it could be to create a planet, but never considered myself to be god material. I also learned as a child that most people who thought a lot about becoming gods were usually jerks and bullys.

And as I got older and watched the temple movie, I realized that the God I worshipped was far superior to anything we were teaching each other in church.

The god of the temple movie can only function through giving commands to beings apparently more powerful than himself and receiving reports from them. And he is every bit as powerful as any man currently living, which removes him from the center of our worship and puts the power of Priesthood holders in his place.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:32PM

Even if I once thought it was true, I never really wanted it. I also had a big problem looking around the ward/stake and thinking that I would feel very sorry for any spirit son or daughter that had to worship some of the idiots that were hoping to make it. Yikes, what if my god was a complete brown-nosing jerk that made it?

On a similar note I also didn't buy the whole 'Jesus' was the saviour of countless other worlds' bull - I mean a) what are the chances that we happened to end up on the one planet he happened to personally live on? b) what kind of mugs live on other planets and have to have faith in an alien saviour, it's bad enough for us but they must be right schmucks if they believe that!

Posted by: Beavis Christ ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:01PM

Seemed just a bit too perfect that we were from Jebus's planet. Reminded me of the geocentric solar system theories.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:44PM

This was my favorite doctrine.

I wanted a universe to myself to explore, and learn and grow. Mostly to take that journey into learning everything.

For me, it wasn't about popping out spirit children, or having a huge harem. It was about having enough time to figure out how everything worked, and then set my own universe into motion. Endless creation.

This was the ONLY doctrine that I mourn from leaving Mormonism.

And I still believe that if there were an actual "all loving god" who is our "father" then I will still be able to have my own universe.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:52PM

Mormonism never made any sense to me, and the more I read about it, the less sense it made. I liked the idea of learning and progressing over the eons, but the idea of becoming a god was a bit far out to me. It was all so screwy, I never really thought about it.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:55PM

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:58PM

I never beleived it, ever!

I used to think it was confusing, though. I mean which planet would you live on? Your parents’ planet or, your own planet with your husband? You can't live on both at the same time and if you follow the morbot doctrine, well, you would have to live on both planets at once!!!!!!!!!!

SO DUMB!

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:15PM

rgg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never beleived it, ever!
>
> I used to think it was confusing, though. I mean
> which planet would you live on? Your parents’
> planet or, your own planet with your husband? You
> can't live on both at the same time and if you
> follow the morbot doctrine, well, you would have
> to live on both planets at once!!!!!!!!!!
>
>
> SO DUMB!

This never made sense to me either. Plus I hated my parents and when I'd listen to how we all chose our parents in the preexistance I'd just stare off into space and wondered how my spirit-self could be so dumb because I did NOT want to spend eternity with them.

The whole popping out trillions of spirit babies to populate a world for millions of years was just gross to me, plus the thought of doing it as a polygamist wife was disgusting. I was told if I found a RM here on earth and got married in the temple I would be the first wife, as if that made it all better.

Plus male/female populations have always been right around 50/50 so what were all the extra men supposed to do? I was told they'd be servants in heaven to the ones who got laid 500 times a day. Didn't make sense why I couldn't just be one of their wives, but apparently that's not how it works.

Dumb dumb dumb, never made sense to me. Best I could do to compartmentalize that crap was to remove myself from the reality of what they were saying so I'd never have to deal with it.

Posted by: verdacht ( )

I didn't have a problem with the doctrine. I accepted it but I never had any illusions of becoming one. I figured that was for the 'really good' Mormons. Talk about lofty goals!

Posted by: Jenny ( )

I did believe in an afterlife and knew that there was just no way that we humans could determine what it would be like. I figured the mormon way was just a comfort and they were doing the best they could, but it was NOT going to resemble any of their best guesses. I didn't think there would be signs and tokens and New Names and all that robes with sashes on the left shoulder then the right and when does the apron thing come in again?

All that said, I was a well-compartmentalized TBM and went to the temple as regularly as possible, baked four loaves of bread each week, fulfilled my callings, paid tithing, and lurched through family home evening when the guilt built up enough.

But I never really believed the mormon picture of planets and gods and goddesses and three kingdoms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 12:56PM by Jenny.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:02PM

I did not--and I didn't want to be married to a god either. My whole purpose was "forever family." They talk so much about being with your family forever and scaring the hell out of you as to losing them, never seeing them again, that I was willing to overlook all the rest just so I could be with my family again. Take a little child and start drilling that into them--

I never wanted a husband who achieved rank in the LDS church. I just wanted my family always and forever and, if you hadn't noticed, they tried to rip that away from me, too, by making it my problem to save the one I loved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 01:03PM by cl2.

Posted by: quoth the raven nevermo ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:19PM

Wow imamoron has some serious rage issues. Not to mention spelling problems -- there is a difference between KNOW and NO.

So Mr imamoron thinks he has the maturity to be a God? Oh dear oh my. That Just about sums up the problems with the morgbots. So sad.

If every one is on his own planet then how do families stay together? Dad morgbot and son morgbots would be on their own planet. Given how many other planets have been found With humans on them....well Those planets must be really far away from each other.

The whole celestrial kingdom does not work With forever families and being a God. Dumb theology.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:22PM

I was told we'd be able to travel between worlds to visit them whenever. Not that the explanation made any sense either. I think some 'deep thinking' morgbot came up with that just to try to reconcile the illogical issues with the whole concept.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:28PM

Not just dad and his sons, but dad and his sons and sons in-law from ALL of his wives. And then his nephews from all his many polygamous siblings and his many wives siblings. Then all the grandchildren. But that's just one man going two generations down.

This man also has parents (LOTS of moms) and aunts and uncles, grandparents and great-aunts and -uncles.

And somehow all of these folds get to be "together forever" but still be gods and goddesses on their own planets?

Somehow that forever family always felt like me and my husband and our kids and his parents sometimes. But we never really threw in the "on our own planets" thing because that's just for the temple and we couldn't talk about it outside. But it's part of the story and there's just no way to make it all fit together.

And "it will all work out in the eternities" just won't wash. Family will either be together forever OR we'll be gods and goddesses on our own planets, maybe occasionally visiting many, many, many other planets to see parents and sibs, but running a planet seems like a fulness of times job.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 02:00PM

For about 24 minutes a night.

Seriously, I never had a problem with this doctrine, but I interpreted most doctrine as much more of a metaphor than a literal thing.

So, in the sense that I am a loving father who "creates my reality" and "builds a world" for my children, I had no problem believing that I could be "like" God.

By the way, God loves tacos.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 03:41PM

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:22PM

It didn't feel real to me, so it wasn't something I focused on. I had a hard enough time believing in Jesus (which never felt real to me either. Imagine that.)

However, I do have a friend who focuses more on this goal than any other. I asked her once why she wants to go to heaven and she said, "Because I want to make worlds." She's an aspiring (unpublished) fantasy writer, so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that the worlds she wants to create as a god are pretty much what she's writing about now. And yes, she has told me that. Her motto for a long time was "As man is, god once was. As god is, man may become." When Hinckley basically said in one of his many PR interviews that they don't believe that anymore, it crushed her. She was so confused and devastated for days. Not sure how she feels about it now as I would rather not bring the subject up.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:54PM

I totally understand where she's coming from.

It crushed me too, but no one on this planet can tell her what "an afterlife" holds.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 05:09PM

I still don't know what the afterlife holds. My dogs probably think I'm somewhat like a god now - producing water right out of the wall. So who knows what god may have in store for me.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 05:53PM

Yes, I did believe it, but I thought of it only as a progression to the state where Heavenly Father was now, with Him progressing to who knows where by the time we got there. "God" doesn't seem to mean the same thing to the LDS. It's just a state of progression along an endless stream of eternal progression.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:35PM

And I would have my earth children write of me (or my son) on kewl titanium plates (they are lighter and stronger so there can be more praise for me).....then I'll wipe out that group and have some con artist teenager find them and translate them with an I-Pod-like device.

Then I'll have that kid snuffed out...have a bunch of people fight about who gets to be my mouthpiece...while I sit back in my celestial home theater and giggle at the stupid things my kids do.....

yea...sounds like bliss

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:51PM

That way I'd be in the celestial kingdom, create planets with my god-husband, and have lots of spirit children (back then I loved little kids and wanted lots of them - only had 2 fortunately).

I fell for it all, hook, line and sinker. It was a nice fairly tale, but that's all it was. A fairly tale.

TG

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:17AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:57PM

I believed it, I guess, but I never thought about the details and I didn't know that I was expected to be one of many wives.

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:59PM

Nope. I use to get the leaders pissed off when I was a youth because I would say "I am not getting into the Celestial Kingdom, so I am good with the Telestial kingdom".... They did not like that one bit...lol

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:42PM

Yea, actually I do, if you are a Christian I'll take mormon fantasy any day.

Posted by: djb ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:53PM

Yes. It's the only thing I still believe from it. That is, we all come from God, we all are part of God, we eventually return to what we were before. Something like that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.