Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 11:57AM

Could you please inform me of the way in which you meditate? Do you sit in a chair, on the floor, how you breathe, do you have a mantra that you say in your head or aloud? Any book or web recommendations? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 11:59AM

"Full Catastrophe Living" that my therapist had me read many years ago.

Walking is a way to meditate--walking alone. This is what really helped me A LOT and still does.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 05:45PM

OMG, I do that. I pace back and forth across my home, or go on long walks whenever I want to think about something. I guess I meditate.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 12:16PM

I like 'mindfulness meditation' a la Jon Kabat-Zinn (who wrote the book cl2 mentions above). I like his book, 'Wherever You Go, There You Are' and a CD he made that talks you through a few different types of meditations to see what works for you.

Kabat-Zinn's approach works for me. I like it because it's intelligent, thought-provoking and well researched... and not naft, fluffy, new-agey stuff that I just can not take seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn

This is the CD:
http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Beginners-Jon-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591794641/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 12:20PM

But that's me. I find my mind goes into a more reflective state when I am intensely physically active.

You have to find what works best for you.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 12:32PM

I would love to do that. I often have dreams of running and in the dream, my ability to run is effortless and my mind goes all zen-like. I love it. However, it's way beyond my current fitness level (can barely run half a mile without crying out for my mommy). ;-)

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 12:56PM

I'm HUGE into the whole hippie, yoga, vegan lifestyle- I've invested a lot of time into reading about Buddhism and meditation! It's honestly saved my life in so many ways. I have found a peace that I have never felt before.

I highly recommend a book called Meditation for Life by Martine Batchelor.

I have read countless books on Buddhism and meditation and this is one of my favorites, and it's particularly great for beginners! There are many guided meditations, step by step instructions, and explanations/general thoughts. It's broken down very easily and there are lots of pictures/diagrams to help you out as well!

There are so many different ways to meditate- I like to meditate with a purpose. A lot of people think that meditation is just sitting there with a blank mind, but it can be so much more than that. It's about concentration and enquiry. I will often go into meditation with a specific question or scenario, then once I have achieved my state of calm, I will debate this scenario in my head until I am content with my thoughts. I have been able to completely get rid of my fear of death through that kind of meditation- it was actually a guided meditation I found in The Tibetan Book of Meditation- by Lama Christie (another excellent book that I actually made my old mormon roommate read, and she loved it.)

Meditation can be extremely challenging- it takes a lot of practice to train your body to sit completely still and not become distracted or overwhelmed by irrelevant thoughts. I started out by meditating just to achieve a state of complete tranquility, as I used to suffer from severe anxiety...that was challenging enough! But I am now to the point where I can breathe deeply and properly within minutes- it used to take me so much longer! After that, I started doing guided meditations out of books- I strongly recommend that, because sometimes when you're just sitting there and you don't know why, your mind wanders. It's really helpful to have something to focus on. Visualization is key in meditation- it's another thing that's hard at first but it gets easier the more you do it.

I personally like to meditate sitting down in the lotus position, but there are so many ways to do it- it's kind of a personal thing...find whatever feels most comfortable for you! The book I recommended shows a variety of ways to do it. I usually sit on a small pillow or my yoga mat with my palms face up on my knees and my eyes shut. Some people keep their eyes open, or even half open. Whatever works best for you! I start out by breathing and controlling my breath for a few minutes. Then I either do a guided meditation, or just visualize a positive mantra or the positive things I want to attract that day. Gratitude is huge as well- it's always good to keep that in mind.

One of the coolest results I've gotten from meditating is an improved memory- when I lived in Russia, I would wake up at 5am to meditate. One morning, I was in a really deep state of meditation and I had a flashback to years, and years ago- this memory just popped into my head...something I completely forgot about. It was SO interesting because I sat there and wondered, why my brain had pulled that memory out. Reflecting on it's significance was really therapeutic...it's just so interesting what your mind tells you when you show it that you're listening!! Another benefit- I am so in tune with my body now. It's the strangest feeling and I don't know how to explain it but I can literally feel when something is off inside of me- if I am low in vitamin C or something, it's like I can hear my body telling me I need more...I can feel it...I know that probably makes no sense but you really will be amazed with the things your body does when you appreciate it and listen to it.

A few tips-
If you're really serious about starting to meditate, try and do it at the same time every day. Wear loose clothing and turn off your phone or any other distractions!! Don't do it right before or right after you eat- you start to notice every little thing in your body and hunger is really distracting! A lot of people discourage meditation in your bed, because your body associates that with sleep and when you're in a state of such calmness, your body will want to fall asleep! I also like to meditate outside on occasion, it's incredibly relaxing!

Meditation is all about awareness, and waking up to life. I think it's something that can benefit everyone- Buddhists, Christians, Atheists- it's a personal journey that can be easily suited to your own needs. I wish you the best of luck! Let me know if you have any other questions!

AJ

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 01:26PM

Posted by: polymath ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 02:40PM

I couldn't figure out how to explain but this post does it really well.

Getting into a relaxed/aware state and then thinking peacefully about areas of concern.

I agree that it's not about blanking your mind, but about getting past the self-chatter that we all have at the top of our minds so we can really focus on what is important to us at the time.

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 05:11PM

AJ!!!! THANK YOU! I recently started to meditate and it has brough me so much prace and a better power of concentration.
I like to sit in the lotus pose when I meditate :)

Date: January 27, 2012 05:29PM

Yay!!!!! I'm so happy for you Angelina!! You've come such a long way already!! I'm so glad meditation has helped you:) It only gets better, I promise! The concentration improvement really is amazing hey? And props to you for being able to sit in lotus position! It definitely requires some flexibility!

Date: January 27, 2012 07:03PM

I Love you AJ!! I have also being reading some Busdhism teachings, which give me peace. It's funny that I tend to gravitate towards buddhism during this tumultous time. I loved it before I joined the Church and now, I am naturally attracted to that again. I love that you are so positive and seem to be vivacious. You are a GREAT influence AJ.

Date: January 27, 2012 07:06PM

Oh and I do Yoga too. I discovered it almost a year ago and it has always been so good for me. I don't know what I would do without yoga. My teacher is Tara Stiles. I L O V E her because her yoga is so approachable, relatable, yet efficient.

Date: January 27, 2012 07:07PM

ONE more question: what are your favorite vegan/ yoga/ wellness blogs and websites pleeeeeease?

Date: January 27, 2012 07:59PM

Awww Angelina you are the sweetest!!! That post totally just made my night!!:):) I'm so glad you decided to rediscover that initial attraction you had to Buddhism- I was the same way...even when I was in the church I was always like damn...those Buddhists know what's up! Haha:) Tara Stiles is excellent! I'm a huge fan...glad you're into yoga as well, I think it's so much fun! So healthy and so wonderful. Look at this fabulous new you that you're creating!! I don't even think it's new...I think you're just uncovering the you that you've always been...it sounds like you're headed in a really good direction!

As for wellness blogs etc. I definitely have a few suggestions!!

MOST IMPORTANT!!!- The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone. It's a book, but it is the best resource for all things vegan- it is absolutely fantastic. Literally life changing. She gives health and wellness tips, covers ethical matters and gives tons of amazing recipes!! Her homemade peanut butter cups are to die for!!! It's definitely more than worth what you pay for it.

She also has a blog- thekindlife dot com. It's got some good stuff!

My other recommendation is Chef Chloe Coscarelli- she is absolutely fantastic and so adorable!! She's a young vegan chef, and she actually won the Food Network's Cupcake Wars! Her food is AMAZING and her recipes are sooo easy and delicious. She's got a website up- chefchloe dot com...check out the recipes- they are so good, words can't even describe. She's got a blog as well, I haven't really checked it out though. But you have to try her Avacodo Pesto Pasta, and all her cupcakes. Tried and tested, trust me, they are so freakin good.

There's also a youtube channel that I got really into- it's called Raw Radiant Health and the girl who does it gives a lot of great natural health and wellness tips!

If you have any questions at all feel free to email me!! My email is shown if you click my username...I have sooo many delicious vegan recipes and Buddhist/meditation book recommendations etc., and one of my best friends is a certified yoga teacher, so if you're ever looking for a friend to talk to about all this kinda stuff, I'm your girl:)

Posted by: polymath ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 01:00PM

I don't practice what I would call formal meditation.

I meditate in the following places.

In bed either morning or night. I'm relaxed, I'm peaceful, it's a safe and comfortable place. At night I usually end up falling asleep, as I get into a calm and relaxed state.

While walking/riding a bike on a bike trail - some form of movement that's repetitive, doesn't take a lot of effort or have interruptions.

While driving long distances on the highway. Again, basic attention required but it's not stop and go like city driving.

Basic movement engages enough of my brain that I don't get a lot of random self-talk but it's not so difficult that I need to really think about what I'm doing.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 01:19PM

+1

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 01:23PM

Sitting meditation. "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Suzuki is a great introduction to the practice.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 02:01PM

So I do it while performing tasks- cleaning, organizing, gardening,making jewelry, repairing stuff, etc. I find it much easier to clear my mind while hands are busy. I have a hard time sitting still and getting my mind to be still at the same time, lol. It works for me, but i don't know if it will work for you.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 02:21PM

I like sitting or laying down, with yoga or passive/active muscle relaxation techniques to get me flexible and grounded before I start. I blend in listening to affirmations and creative visualization of me achieving my goals, too, after sustaining a quiet mind for a while.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 02:44PM

I am a yogi, I practice samadhi. I practice kundalini kriya yoga. I belong to Hamsa Yoga Sangh. I have a satguru, cuz kriya yoga is an ancient lineage passed from person to person.

I sit in lotus or half lotus, in my room. I practice specific breathing teks, designed to raise kundalini from the root to the crown. Then I sit still in space.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 02:49PM

After years of meditating, the only advice I can give you is that nothing anybody says will work for you. Some crazy combination of all of it will eventually work itself into your meditation which will itself continue to evolve as you do.

You're going to have to climb the hill of overcoming "trying" to meditate before you finally observe yourself meditating.

I started out with anapanasati (mindfullness of breathing) and recommend it because if allowed to follow its natural course you will experience what some call the "beautiful breath" when your breathing is so subtle and your heartbeat is so slow that you actually feel, and it actually appears, as if you're not breathing.

At that point you can begin to experience absorbtion into the First Jhana. Everything in your life will be different then.

But anyway, everything everybody else has said is just as relevant on this topic as whatever I said.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 03:27PM

Thanks people! I have enjoyed all of your comments and would definitely welcome more. I have had to first admit that I did have some negative thinking patterns (both before and after Mormonism--definitely conditioned more while a member), and it almost seemed impossible at times to not dwell on negativities being hurled at me, and some I created myself. I guess I am survived my mid-life crisis. As a Mormon, it got so bad that I worried about getting taken out (dying), even though I seemingly lived a good, clean, thoughtful, compassionate life, but of course, I never seemed to measure up. I have no qualms about the decision I made for my children and I to leave the institution, it was beneficial for us all. I have had some pretty lucid (do not know if that is the right word) moments here recently and have felt a bit enlightened if you will. I am determined that with whatever I come up with as who, what, how, or not what I believe will be somewhat exclusive to me, but inclusive to all.

Just returned from muscle therapy work, and learned that my muscles along with some of my congenital birth defects have really come into play during all this stress and it has affected my ability to breathe without constrictions. Cheers to a whole new Tiptoes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 03:28PM by tiptoes.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 05:25PM

I sit in my big comfy chair with my feet up and set a timer for 20 minutes. It's not entirely possible to shut off your thoughts, but I think of them as clouds floating across the sky, and don't hold onto them, just let them drift by. I close my eyes and focus on my breathing and if there is tension anywhere in my body, I relax that part. I feel my heart beat. Music helps - new age, instrumental, classical. I just be quiet and still. The time is always over too soon. I do this after I am dressed and ready for the day before I leave for work. This is essential time for me, sets the tone for the rest of my day.

Date: January 27, 2012 05:27PM

"and don't hold onto them, just let them drift by"

Yes!!! This is very important. Never try to reject the thoughts that do come into your head when you're trying to focus on something...just let them come and pass.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 05:34PM

I am a yoga- meditating person too, although, I don't use any religion as my inspiration. I want to be connected to the universe as an individual. I have a lot of issues with my past growing up super super Mormon so this has been a huge blessing...going out on a limb and giving all this a shot was great...but I was like no, no thanks at first.

I like to do yoga by myself. I get into really deep thinking and I am also working out and getting defined muscles for the first time in my life(I was always just skinny..blah nothing special and had a little belly fat). meditation has been a blessing because it clears my mind and it helps me internalize things,and I think opens your energy channels (so does yoga i feel).

I would start with Kelly Howell, Awakening Kundalini. You can get it off i-tunes for like $9.99. That's the one that was recommended to me by a great friend. I do yoga on a DVD I got at target. vinyasa flow builds a lot of strength(push ups that you build up to)

I tend to just do yoga and call it good....but I am a little ADHD too, so when I meditate I feel awesome after, but it takes a lot of motivation to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 06:45PM by holistic.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 06:40PM

try the "power of now" by Eckhart Tolle.

that's all there's to it. it's very simple in concept yet really difficult to master.

be in the now, in the moment. whatever that is you are doing.

eating? taste the food, use your 5 senses. taking pictures? use your 5 senses when doing it. have a back pain? be there, acknowledge the pain. have a big mental anguish? be there. suffer. talk to yourself about the mental pain you are going through. just sitting? be aware of your surroundings. use your 5 senses.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 06:48PM

I do it by focusing on a single candle, I then send everything into the candle, my emotions, my problems, my joy, so it is just a floating candle in a black void. Then I see how long I can keep anything from intruding.

Posted by: gracewarrior ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 06:53PM

I recommend a small booklet called, Deep Meditation Pathway to Personal Freedom by Yogani. Here is the link...
:http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Meditation-Pathway-Personal-Freedom/dp/097646554X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327708135&sr=8-1

I have been practicing it for about 6 weeks now and it has brought a lot of peace into my life already. The more you meditate, the more inner cleansing takes place. The residual indoctrination from Mormonism takes a lot of clearing out.

One time, while I was meditating, my pain body was triggered because I was thinking about my time in Mormonism. There was this powerful surge in negative emotions and energy.. I realized that Mormonism really did a number on my subconscious.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 10:12PM

So happy to hear you sounding so happy! I am also a walking meditator (is that a word) Walking a labrynth puts me into a meditative state almost instantly.

Also, I often have sudden realizations while in the shower. No kidding! I suddenly think of the perfect solution to a problem or make a decision. Is it the hot water? Lavender shampoo?

Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 10:14PM

For me, I mediate when I run. I live right on Lake Michigan and run until I find a good spot, sit for a few minutes and think positively about the people in my life, what I want for myself etc. I do pray, but I am still religious, so if that's not your cup of tea you obviously don't have to.

Once my mind is clear, or I'm feeling really positive, I walk or run back home. As of late the cold has prevented a lot of this, so I meditate by listening to Helen Jane Long on my iPod on long bus rides to work.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 01:08AM

I watch an Eckhart Tolle video. It puts me to sleep every night. I don't think I've ever watched the whole thing.

It's called "Eckhart Tolle - Living Luminaries" or something like that. I found it on YouTube.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.