Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:55PM

I can't get rid of my scriptures. I still have my seminary set, and I was so proud of how marked up they were. Plus, they are a great reference when "discussing" mormonism.

Is there anything you can't part with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:59PM

I got my scriptures in 1984. I never marked a thing in them. It just wasn't my thing. But I'm keeping them just to be able to track the changes that will keep being made to them to make them more palatable and politically correct.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:05PM

and some manuals, and a few dozen books (some from classes) and the robes, etc. for the temple ceremony. I threw the used garments in the trash. Don't have the temple dresses either. I don't have any church magazines either.
One set of scriptures was a wedding present from my husband.
The second set has the changes.
I have a shelf of books on LDS history, etc. that I will keep also.
At some point, I may want to discard some or all of it, but not yet.
The LDS scriptures are on line, as well as the current manuals, the JOD and other books, so it's easy to look up references if needed.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:08PM

I wore them for 25 years, and I just got used to wearing them - sort of like an old sweater that you can never get rid of. I guess I enjoy wearing them.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:06PM

I have the small quad with the snap. I keep it for the fine book that it is. I think it's a really well-made book and fascinating that they could make pages so thin that don't easily tear.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:09PM

My mother gave me a copy of the book "Four Essays on Love" by Truman Madsen. I had lent mine to someone and they never gave it back. She found it at a used book store. It is the one and only thing I have left.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:37PM

I keep my BoM on the book shelf between my Tolkin books and the Harry Potter series. Maybe the BoM will learn something from the neighbors:

1) Don't put on the damn ring.
2) Not all reporters are interested in publishing the truth.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 05:06AM

Some are leather bound and it seems a shame to chuck. Anyway, I need to keep some for reference when the church changes stuff.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 05:38AM

in the First Presidency. His writings are truly Christian. I had my children read them. Back in his heyday, the LDS church didn't emphasize JS and the old polygamous prophets so much. Mormonism was more about following Christ and loving others. He was very down-to-earth, and his speeches are still relevant to everyday life and relationships.

I still have his portrait.

All other books
manuals
garments
temple regailia
icons and pictures,
trinkets
Mormon music

--were GONE within a few days! I couldn't wait to get them out of my life!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 05:41AM by forestpal.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 06:19AM

They were passed to me as the oldest from the oldest and I see no reason that I should not have them. To me it is like having family china. I will admit that I enjoy The Egg and I much more than the BOM!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:12AM

Two things:

All my pedigree charts and family history.

My missionary journal.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:30AM

I have a 2nd edition book of commandments, signed by Jon Taylor, a first ed set of HoC and an early edition of hymns of zion.

My TBM family wants them back very badly. I was the family scriptorian so I had inherited them before I exited.

Besides my person scripture set, I won't give these up easily.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:59AM

Heh- I've been buying old mormon books instead of tossing them. Great fun for sharing with nay-sayers.

I still have my scriptures and much to the chagrin of my various teachers over the years, refuse to mark them in any way.
Also, 1830 replica,1952,1981 French and Danish, 1981 standard issue, RLDS 1908 and RLDS 1966 readers edition BoMs.

Got some older books too, like Doctrines of Salvation 3vol set, Mormon Doctrine, Way to Perfection, Mormonism andthe Negro, the church and the Negro, Journal of Discourses, 1851 PoGP (reprint), 1833 Book of Commandments (temple lot 1960 reprint) some other old gospel books with their obsolete eternal truths.

I did get rid of most of my manuals, but kept a couple for reference, like where it says not to read outside the book for lessons, and a god-awful book on marriage from SWK that I keep for laughs.

So I keep stuff, partly a pack-rat, and partly because it is useful to have handy references when discussing what the church considers (or denies) to be the gospel.

The best part is reading old statements that say you cannot have exaltation without believing what is being taught, and then reading today how believing those old words will lead to your loss of exaltation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.