Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eloher ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 03:55AM

I was just introduced to this ministry to feed the hungry by a credit counselor. It's amazing what they do, and how inexpensive the food you can get is. It's estimated to be about 1/2 the price that you'd pay in a cheap grocery store. My family has been struggling since I became ill a few years ago, and I think we're going to give this place a shot. They're not really local to us, so it would entail a 40 minute drive, but I think it's well worth it.

I was thinking of the missionaries when we looked at the website too. I know their spending money is next to nothing. This ministry is for ANYONE. You do not have to be christian, a memeber of any church or organization. These people would gladly take care of the missionaries while their own church turns their backs on them and cuts their minimal spending money.

It's called Angel Food Ministries and they have a website online. Anyone struggling to make ends meet, or just those who want to save money on groceries could use them. It's a pretty amazing organization, from what we've read.

TTFN
-Jenn

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 04:54AM

--You didn't choose to live in poverty.
--You don't have access to a lot of money from a wealthy employer that is being stingy with your wages.
--You don't have access to money from financially capable parents who throw their money away on a stupid cult instead buying food for you.
--Your motives are pure. What I mean is, that your main concern is supporting your family.
--You are not trying to con others out of their money, break up families, or trying to sell them a lie, or trying to sponge off of others, or being dishonest in any way.

Whoever fed the missionaries who harrassed me and my chilren, gave them strength and energy and--yes--SUPPORT--to come knock on our door. I do not thank them.

Maybe Mormon missionaries need to learn a life lesson the hard way, in the real world. The sooner they realize that they are spreading lies for an evil, money-grubbing cult, the sooner they can begin their recovery.

The Mormon missionaries need to go home.

IMO, it would be more worthwhile to feed struggling students, or the unemployed, or the disabled, or the homeless, or hungry children, or lovely families like yours.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 09:50AM

I feel and understand this thread well. However, I have to be honest and say I will not let anyone be hungry if I can help it.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:35AM

They operate out of various locales, usually churches, all over America.

I am not 100% sure that what you get for the money you pay is the best deal and I am not sure if the quality of the food you get is the best, since I'm only familiar with that organization from their website.

For anybody who is curious, here is their main page:
http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

And here is where you can find an Angel Food Ministry affiliate near your home:
http://www.angelfoodministries.com/hosts.asp

Posted by: eloher ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 03:27AM

I agree with Get her done. That's why I posted this. I'm serious about giving this info to missionaries. Nobody should ever have to go hungry. Most missionaries aren't really there by their own choice. They're there because they are doing what's expected of them, they were pressured to do, etc. Mormon culture doesn't allow much wiggle room as far as boys getting out of going on a mission. My own father and husband didn't believe in the church, but went on missions anyway. They saw no way out of it. If boys don't go on a mission, it's often rumored that they committed some unpardonable sin. Boys who don't go on missions aren't viewed as eligible as an RM by young women for dating and eventual marriage. Not going on a mission can and will seriously destroy a boy's reputation as well as his family's.

These boys are in a tough spot, usually treated like crap by most people, and they don't deserve to go hungry; nobody does. If their church won't give them the funds they need, then others should step in and help them, whether they're LDS or not.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 05:33AM

I'm with forestpal.

There is the concept of enabling. It is where well meaning people actually enable destructive behavior by minimizing or eliminating the negative consequences of the destructive behavior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling

"A common example of enabling can be observed in the relationship between the alcoholic and a codependent spouse. The spouse believes incorrectly that he or she is helping the alcoholic by calling into work for them, making excuses that prevent others from holding them accountable, and generally cleaning up the mess that occurs in the wake of their impaired judgment. In reality what the spouse is doing is hurting, not helping. Enabling prevents psychological growth in the person being enabled and can contribute to negative symptoms in the enabler."

By feeding missionaries, you are "cleaning up the mess that occurs in the wake of their impaired judgment". The above could also be viewed as shielding the person from the consequences of their actions. If you help shield the Missionaries from the consequences of their actions, you impair their emotional growth.

There are plenty of people in the world with LEGITIMATE need for food. By diverting resources to those that are in need by choice from those in need that have no choice, you are diverting resources from those that legitimately need those resources.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.