Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 10:06AM

I was looking online for a cheap hotel in west Los Angeles. At the top of the cheap list was a Travel Lodge across the street from the LDS temple. I remember seeing that place when I lived in L.A. That whole strip on the south side of Santa Monica Blvd. is tacky and run down. I guess the temple's magical powers to uplift their neighborhoods end somewhere in the middle of the street.

A funny comment in one of the traveler reviews said at least the gold angel on the spire serves as a landmark if you get lost in traffic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 10:13AM

temples generally have *nice* architecture and nice grounds, which are well kept. They are not known for loud music or raucous behaviour and you're not going to see many crimes/criminals (overt criminals) on the property.

I wouldn't mind living near one

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 10:16AM

I agree, with a few exceptions, temples and their grounds are beautiful places, regardless of their connections to mormonism.

But with some temples are in places with high amounts of crime, and often the temple grounds is one of the only nice places in a town or city.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 10:25AM

The south side of Santa Monica Blvd. wasn't run down when the L.A. temple was first built.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 03:46PM

That's what most of the temples look like to me.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 02:40PM

Raising the property value is only good for the seller.

It sucks for the longtime resident who not only has to have a temple and its accompanying signs and parking, but now the city wants extra tax money because your property is worth more.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 02:53PM

the neighborhood folks did NOT want that thing. When it was in the paper a lot the messages from mormons kept saying how temples raised property values. Perhaps in Ut, but if I was shopping for a home and there was a giant religious structure all lit up, gated with drones coming in an out I would NOT be interested. To be honest, it doesn't matter WHAT religion it is.

About the Phoenix building:

The morg was not happy having to build within the zoning laws.

They tried to get special permission to build it taller than allowed.

Jesus lost.

The morg was forced to design a shorter temple. They managed to keep the square footage, just a shorter building.

And this is what's funny: The building looks like it is flipping off all of the neighbors. Compare the design to all of the other current designs. This one has little middle fingers at each corner - pointed to each direction.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/phoenix/

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 03:32PM

by temples and churches.

OK, the people answering the questions in the article have to be lying. No impact on traffic?

And what about the adjacent LDS meeting house?

Sorry--but most of us think temples are NOT attractive. And, since when are parking lots a good thing?

Mormons are not happy, normal people, and you don't want them in your neighborhood. I was flipped-off in the Bountiful temple parking lot.

We live too close to an LDS church/parking lot--who doesn't, in Utah.

Parking lots, especially with a view, attract people who want to have sex in their cars.

Landscaping and lawns and bushes attract sex-partners in the summer. The neighborhood kids get quite an education!

Several drug dealers have been caught meeting up with customers in the church parking lot.

People park in the lot to view fireworks on July 4th, and they also light their own. Several fires have resulted.

The neighbors closest to the church building are always calling the police for one reason or another.

The parking lot is always filled with litter. People leave their old couches, mattresses, and junk by the dumpster.

Often, with the consolidation of wards and stakes, the cars are parked all over the neighborhood, as they overflow from the parking lot.

The neighborhood teen-aged girls used to get accosted in the street, by guys driving on their way to the singles ward.

The steeple ruins the neighbors' views.

Our cat liked the church, though. He would make the journey down there to meet my kids after church, and to watch the crowds of people, until one Sunday someone shaved the hair off his back and tail. He had a lot of cuts, poor thing. Along with myself and my kids, I took our cat out of the cult, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 03:43PM by forestpal.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 09:38PM

They are places of attack. I mean, they're worthless for jogging or picnicking, because Mormons don't allow that. But should you wander onto the temple grounds anywhere, missionaries come out and hassle you. For instance, when my daughter lived in San Diego, DW wanted to finally see the big Alice in Wonderland LDS temple there. So here we are, three members, and two sister missionaries made a beeline for us and wouldn't leave us alone, even when we said we were already members. How does this play out to non-members? Does it make them feel all warm and toasty on the inside? Or does it creep them out?

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 11:39PM

Was the scariest most uninviting building I have ever had misfortune to see. The spikes are the most evil looking things and it’s stark whiteness say’s “I am just pretending to look good”

EVVVILLL

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 09:36AM

Have you seen the Ogden temple odgen, it's in the middle of a downtown ghetto.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 10:26AM

At the dedication of the St. Paul temple, the parking lot to the chapel next to it was filled, and people parked their cars on both sides way down the street. They did either four or six dedications of the temple that day. It was next to some neighborhood, and I remember you could see the back of a house through the trees. It was one of those white mini-temples, that I bet was very bright at night. I'm sure that guy appreciated having a big, bright bowling trophy in his back yard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.