Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:12PM

This confuses me. I was always taught when I was Mormon that anyone making it to the celestial kingdom becomes a god, and creates "worlds without end".

I was taught that we either get our own universe, or some ever expanding corner of this one...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:20PM

universe...schmoonerverse. Planet....schmalnet. Oh vey! Now were gonna split hairs over how much of the matza ball you get when you arrive at the gates of heaven?

Don't worry I'm sure you can work out a deal for two planets if you pay twice as much tithing.

"Worlds without end" is reserved for the "super-duper-extra awesome-saints" that go the extra mile and can clean the bathrooms on a moments notice.

You can file a complaint at the KOLOB Guest services department.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 10:56PM

Don't get your panties/garmies in a wad.

Just thought that the truth is even bigger than rumor...

Posted by: nora_az ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:26PM

When I was an investigator as a teen in 79 this was taught to me. That is when I thought "Wohhh this is all too weird and this ain't normal"

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:30PM

Actually, I think they think teach that it is the upper one-third of the Celestial Kingdom (called exaltation) that will become Gods. Not everyone in the Celestial Kingdom will be.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:49PM

Oh that is a relief to know.....now I won't worry about if I qualify for a planet. For a while there I thought I was going to have to create 8 billion little earthlings to inhabit my planet by having sex with my polygamous wives. Now I may have time to read something up in heaven instead of just humping all day and night.

Anybody calculated how many years it takes to make a million minutes? How about a billion. How can one man make so much passionate love to so many women?

Oh, the problems of being a god with my own planet.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:53PM

From the horse's mouth:

"I shall have wives and children by the million, and glory, and riches and power and dominion, and kingdom after kingdom, and reign triumphantly."

-- Brigham Young, Sept 9, 1860

As reported by Will Bagley in the "Salt Lake Tribune" on 2/21/02

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 07:14PM

What a shit he was.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:58PM

This sounds like way too much work. And these are the winners.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 10:11PM

Exactly!

I'd be content with a hobby farm, a fridge full of beer and a hammock.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:46PM

Mormons believe God is a exalted man - if this is the case then we are all screwed.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 10:04PM

They were in one of the Starship Troopers movies...

Posted by: jUST BROWSING ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 11:30PM

Brigham Young JD 6:275

After men have got their exaltations and their crowns -- have become Gods, even the sons of God -- are made Kings of kings and Lords of lords, they have the power then of propagating their species in spirit; and that is the first of their operations with regard to organizing a world. **Power is then given to them to organize the elements**, and then commence the organization of tabernacles. How can they do it? Have they to go to that earth? Yes, an Adam will have to go there, and he cannot do without Eve; he must have Eve to commence the work of generation, and they will go into the garden, and continue to eat and drink of the fruits of the corporeal world, until this grosser matter is diffused sufficiently through their celestial bodies to enable them, according to the established laws, to produce mortal tabernacles for their spiritual children.

JB

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 12:26AM

"Man may become as God himself! Let those who disagree howl
as they may!"

-- Robert L Millet and Joseph Fielding McConkie, The Life Beyond (Salt Lake City, UT: Bookcraft, 1986) 152.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:59PM

Depending on which bits of Mormonism we have been taught, when and by whom, and the limits of our own imaginations, it is likely that we all have different understandings of what we might loosely term "Mormon doctrine".

My own understanding is that only those who make it to the top tier (of three) in the Celestial Kingdom get to keep their spouses and create stuff. I don't know what the difference is between the second and third tiers, but they will be servants of those in the top tier.

For those who get to this top tier - possibly 144,000? - they get to have their main home, a mansion naturally, nearest to God on what is now Earth, but the Earth will be relocated nearer to Kolob.

They also get to create "worlds without end". The key word there is *create*. They won't be *given* their own planet - they will have to build it! No need to worry about time - eternity is very very very long indeed.

But given that God created our entire universe, it would be reasonable to suppose that exalted Mormons will also get to create an entire universe, not just a few planets within this one. Each universe has one God and Goddess at the centre. Each new God and Goddess in Elohim's downline will start from scratch in a new part of space, outside the boundaries of our own universe.

Like all MLM schemes, they will have an upline - Elohim and his wife, of Kolob in this universe, and a downline - which they will create through eternal sex. Their downline will only know them as God and will never learn about Elohim. And so the cycle continues.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 06:01PM

All I got was funny underwear and a tax deduction.

Ron

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 11:49PM

If I can't a have model railroad, I don't want to go to heaven.

There. I said it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 01:03AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMxJtMoTnx8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcYHiVL7ZZs&feature=related

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 01:07AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 01:19AM

as Gordon quotes Brig Young. nearly the end of the video to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3A5QGj7ZaM

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 03:21AM

Is anyone humming the theme from the Twilight Zone besides me?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.