Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:51PM

alma 32 is popular with the mishies these days, most likely because of its disregard for evidence (and we all know the evidence has not been kind to them).

unfortunately, this chapter can be applied to a variety of religions. if you take it and modify it slightly, you could use the same phrasing to encourage cthulu worship.

just plant a seed...and you too can foster the belief in cthulu's eventual rise. Do the experiment, and find out for yourself!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:32PM

The "swelling motions" were the foundation of my testimony during my teenage years. Unfortunately, I felt the same "swelling motions" watching "Saving Private Ryan", "Blackhawk Down", "Band of Brothers", and "the Pacific". War films are true. God told me so.

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:03PM

... also, if you read it closely it states that you have to FIRST decide that you believe and THEN plant the seed, nurture it in order to develop faith.

So, even according to the BoM itself the much touted process for testing your faith in order to find out if it's true doesn't work the way its presented. The process of planting a seed and trying an experiment to see if it's true and growing your faith doesn't work if you're trying to find out what to believe ... you have to decide that you want to believe it first without anything to back it up, and THEN grow the faith to back it up.

That's classic "confirmation bias" if you ask me ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 11:04PM by akaneko13.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:51AM

Ya, there is some definite circularity there. It just seems like you can use the process to enforce any belief--not necessarily mormonism.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:57AM

There are LOTS of seeds (lots of beliefs) that will grow if you plant them and nurture them.

But if you don't like the resulting plant, then what good is the seed? What about weeds? Or radishes?

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 03:13AM

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/alma/32/28#28

"Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts;"

joseph paused here for a moment inside his hat to think about a woman's bare breasts, then excused himself to the bathroom.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.