Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:20PM

I've been out of the Morg for 10 years now and it seems like a lot of negative publicity has suddenly been thrown on the LDS church, such as Big Love, Fundamentalist Mormons getting arrested,September Dawn, Prop 8, and so forth.

Do you think it is harder for Mormons to publicly admit to being Mormon nowadays? I for one had always been a little bit bashful of admitting I was Mormon, but I would be flat out embarrassed if I was one today. It seems like in the past people thought of Mormons as just wholesome but quirky folks, but now it seems they get BAD coverage all the time and they so much more about Mormonism just from all the books, articles, movies etc.

What do you think? Do you know Mormons who admit to wanting to keep it secret they are Mormon? (though Utahns probably aren't as affected as much since they are the majority)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:30AM

It was always a little difficult for me to openly say I was a mormon, or talk about what mormons believe cuz everyone thinks mormons are weird, and that made me feel awkward.

Curiously, now it is easier to say that I was a mormon and yes mormons believe that, or to proudly state that my ancestors were polygamists, it is easier to talk freely about mormonism now because it isn't any longer my obligation to protect it or to sell it.

In fact, it is so much easier to share information about it when you can back up your claims with evidence! You just can't do that when you are a faithful member...

Plus, people would rather hear about weird stuff than to be hustled by salesmen.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:32AM

My problem now is that I have two degrees from BYU on my resume, and I can't get rid of them. People assume that I'm Mormon when I would rather they didn't.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:34AM

has really made it hard on some Mormons, especially in the South.

They may always have hated Mormons but these days they teach classes on the evils of Mormonism. Kids are bullied about it.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:44AM

Growing up in Kansas I actually got beat up a few times from evangelical Xtians. If you think Mormons are hate-filled bigots, just spend some time with Xtians in the Bible belt. Those people are monsters.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.