Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: temple name Julia ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 03:59AM

I read with interest, amusement and irritation the comments in the closed post about the prejudices old TBMs to non-traditional roles and diets. I'd like to share a few of my own.
In my twenties an older TBM asked me when I was going to get married. Being a smart ass (thank Goddess!) I replied "I don't breed well in captivity!" myuahahaah Her shocked expression was priceless!
A few years later at a RS Homemaking meeting, I asked Sister X what was in her soup, since I am a vegetarian with allergies to msg, and my sweet TBM mom had high blood pressure and all. Sister X was VERY sweet in answering the reasonable question. Sister Y, on the other hand-whom in the past I had considered a friend, freaked and loudly said I wasn't following the prophets or God's commands and got nasty. I tried to call her the next day and she kept on going thinking she had every right to jump my case in front of everybody for DARING to inquire about something that might go in my mouth! Female dog!
My bossy and abusive father was doing his 'wait on the king' routine, sprawled on the couch, expecting waited on. I said I didn't want to wait on him if he wasn't sick. He wanted to know wouldn't if I would wait on my husband? "No, I won't wait on him if he's not sick, I would tell him to get off his butt and wait on himself!"
Dad's reply "with an attitude like that you will never get married!"
I don't care about being married, cats make much better company!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:14AM

It's funny. Even my TBM Dad has made comments about how if people were to truly follow the WoW, then try would essentially be vegetarians. Yet most church members freak the hell out at the idea of people choosing to not eat meat or animal products. Of course, the inability to take a critical look at their diet doesn't really shock me. Hell, they stuff their fingers in their ears and close their eyes about any studies proving the benefits of coffee, tea, or alcohol.

The strict gender roles of the church always bothered me. I'm glad that my fiancé does not agree. When I'm in normal conditions, we always share the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and other household chores pretty much 50/50. Oh and WiserWoman believe me, I will hold onto him! He's a great guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 04:16AM by Tiff.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:47AM

I had to deal with a bunch of personal crap today (and that is why all y'all ran wild with long thread and personal attacks) and the notary was confused about the way I sign my name. I have always signed everything Mrs. Susan Middle Initial Last name. She said in 15 years she had never had anyone use Mrs.! Hell, I sign the receipt for the Schwans guy that way!

Go back to my Grandmothers generation and they often were Mrs. HUSBANDSfirstname Lastname.

Funny, one thing men do seem to miss with the "New Woman" is food. I can't count the times someone has brought it up. I always tell the guys I will be happy to help them and there is no reason in hell they can't cook themselves. But ladies, I will tell you a secret. If you can make a guys favorite dish BETTER than his mother he will be your slave for life ;)

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:32AM

Quite frankly, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and it obviously comes from someone who hasn't been involved in dating for many years.

My BF is Puerto Rican. When it comes to Spanish and Caribbean dishes, he is a far better cook than I am. He has introduced me to vegetables I've never even heard of. He also works part-time (his second job) catering paella parties with a Spanish paella company.

There is no way on earth I could ever learn to make paella the way his grandmother made it. Even if I could, he wouldn't be my slave for life just because of that. (No, that would be my mad skillz in the bedroom, thankyouverymuch. ;>)) What would make him happy is for HIM to cook for ME and then listen to ME tell HIM what an awesome studly cook he is.

News Flash: Men who cook take as much pride in their cooking as women who cook do.

I would like to cook with him, but because our backgrounds are so different, we have very different cooking styles and very different ideas about what goes into what and how it should be done. He fries a lot more stuff than I do and he is totally unfamiliar with the palette of my heritage, which is northern European. He'd never had sausage and sauerkraut until I served it to him. I grew up with that dish, and he grew up with paella.

What turns out happening is we fight and argue in the kitchen, so when he's making something, I stay the hell out and do the clean up. When I'm making something, he stays the hell out and cleans up.

It's called teamwork. There's no reason to use food or sex as a commodity in a modern relationship when trust, respect, and communication work even better.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:52AM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> News Flash: Men who cook take as much pride in
> their cooking as women who cook do.

Ain't THIS the truth! I take pride in everything I cook, bake, broil or grill. I've taken many cooking classes to get here and I ain't goin' back!

> There's no reason to use
> food or sex as a commodity in a modern
> relationship when trust, respect, and
> communication work even better.

This I don't agree with. We have a nice repartee' with her demanding my cheesecake and via barter, I get a really good blowjob. :D

Welcome to intergalactic diplomacy.

Ron

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:04PM

The worst a blowjob can be is "really good"!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:45PM

I have taught quite a few. My son has been the designated cook in all his relationships. Most cooking is just practice. Some things like paella and a good pie crust you need to watch. Now with my husband, he can not cook. No one taught him and he has zero interest in learning. I don't care because he does dishes. It is an easy way to divide the labor for us. We share most tasks but I am very very picky about laundry and he is about the grass. I don't want him in my laundry room and he does not want me mowing the grass. He does have MAD skills when it comes to grilling. He can do chicken better than anyone I know. He grills at least one day a weekend in the summer.

And yeah, we are OLD and have been married for a long long long time. I tease DH that he married me for the sex but stayed for the cooking. His favorite dish is meatloaf of all things and when I figured out how to make it better (to him) than his mother is when he said no matter what I ever did that he would never divorce me.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:59AM

Haha! That was awesome yesterday, but I imagine you coming to your computer and saying, "What?!? My children have gotten out of hand!!!"

Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:33PM

I am only 36 and I agree wholeheartedly with Susan. If someone cooks something my mother used to make for me, it already tastes fantastic. But if someone could do it even better than her, then it would be pure heaven. It could compensate for lots of other shortcomings... really! Sex only lasts for a few minutes at a time, and can get more difficult as one gets older. Eating can be enjoyed until the end (hopefully), and can be shared with lots more people, guilt-free.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.