Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 05:03AM

I've been posting here off and on for well over 10 years, and I've had a considerable amount to say over the years about many different topics. So now, I'm setting up a page on FB that is going to be dedicated to whatever issues interest me. But that is a lot, so I've got just a few starter ideas. First of all, the most important interest of is the human rights problems in polygamous societies. I've spent many years doing this work and this page will allow people to access me at least until I can get something else started up. I'm choosing FB because it was extremely easy to do and I don't have the time to figure anything else out. But I'm open to suggestions for ideas later, after this semester. Until then, I'm swamped with papers to grade.

A second motivation behind this comes from my reader-comments activities on the Salt Lake Tribune website, where I post under the name of "Cosmopolitan." Some of you know me there.

As of right now, there isn't much information posted there. I just barely set up the group. But if you have questions about polygamy, I can answer them there, or here. But I'll probably be more prompt on FB. This has to fit in with my work at the U, but the polygamy issue drives me so much as it is that I gave up a few years ago and just decided to do it full-time. My training as a philosopher is in political philosophy, philosophy of religion, and philosophy of science. These topics have always been central to the concerns of many exmormons.

So, let's see how this goes. You can check out the group on FB under the name "Tribbers" It is a closed group, members are public, content is private. So let's keep it professional. And maybe we can finally get serious about setting up an organization that specializes in taking a philosophical approach to Mormon-related problems from the specific perspective of justice and human rights, which are my areas of professional focus.

Please note: My intention is not to set up some kind of co-community with this website. So I don't want conversations going back-and-forth between my page and this site. I want to strictly observe my own interests and leave everyone else's projects the way they are. It's just something for people who want to talk about polygamy, political philosophy and whatever else is interesting. My own interests are extremely broad and I love to get into long, deep intellectual discussions. I'm a public philosopher and the more access I have to public thought, the better. I do this full-time now. But if you take a look and wish to comment here, that would be great. I just want to keep the conversations separated.

Troy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 05:13AM by Troy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:57AM

Seems like blogger would be a more logical and appropriate platform for what you plan to do

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:06AM

Troy! LTNS. 6-7 years ago? Dinner with the crew? Chili's? I think that was it, anyway.

Ron

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 10:20AM

I suggest blogspot, then advertise and link it on your facebook page. What's your facebook link anyway?

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 10:48AM

which one are you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.