Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:07PM

DW wasn't happy with the church, so we stopped going. However, she was very concerned about really knowing the truth behind the church because she didn't want to go all "anti" against the church.

However, I was more than happy to express my anger about being lied to my entire life and sacrificing of myself to said lies. I would occasionally come home and explain something new that I had learned about Mormonism that was absolutely crazy. And sometimes she took it well, and other times she did not.

Yesterday, she was browsing around Barnes and Noble and picked up One Nation Under Gods for some reason and began reading one of the chapters about the church "mainstreaming."

She found the book irresistable and came home late because she lost track of time. She bought the book and spent the night reading it, and then got up early to read it.

She's been sharing with me the crazy stuff from it that she's learned (which I've already known most of it), and it's nice to see her really learn and understand why I would be so pissed off.

The church is fucking nuts. The history is insane, and Joseph Smith was not a prophet, but a megalomaniac. Looking at the history shows that very clearly.

What I think my wife needed was a new book that hadn't quite had the "anti" stamp attached to it. So this book felt nuetral in tone to her--even though other Mormon History books labeled as "anti" would be the same. She feels like she is just reading the history.

Thought I'd share that with y'all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:31PM

Let's see how she feels about chapter 11 "Bloody Brigham"!

And 18 Coverups, lies and conspiracies.

If she understands what she is reading, be sure to provide a very broad shoulder for her, because she may come unglued.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:25PM

He had a hard time when he came here (and this was before Steve Benson's arrival) since most don't like the way he substitutes cherry Kool-aid for the lime flavor of Mormonism...

He's got the goods on Mormon history, but he's a bit perceptually challenged on the subject of the historic Jesus...

Date: November 23, 2010 01:31PM

I had heard good things about One Nation, as it was reviewed well and seemed to cover Mormonism accurately.

Is he a Christian apologist then?

If so, would this be the angle for MO Apologists to ad hominem his ass into the ground?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:42PM

I know there are sites out there where Christians and Mormons throw brickbats at each other, but I don't drive in those neighborhoods...

Abanes had trouble with the simple statement, "Josephus was an Orthodox Jew," which I take as prima facie evidence that writings attributed to him that mention Jesus as the Messiah were later forgeries since it is inconceivable a Jewish individual from such a sect would only make passing reference to such a claim...

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:57PM

I have a question, and don't get your knickers in a twist over it.

Why do you call you wife "DH" out one side of your mouth and "Goody Good" out the other?

This perplexes me.

Ron

Date: November 23, 2010 02:58PM

Err... I meant "DW" but have no clue how to edit.

Date: November 23, 2010 03:06PM

Allusion to early America and specifically "the Crucible."

Now that I've explained the joke, it won't be funny to anyone else who may have found it witty.

And I'm not wearing knickers, I'm wearing my wife's lacy panties--which you'd know IF YOU EVEN CARED ABOUT ME!!!

Date: November 23, 2010 03:19PM

Okay, next time I'll say "..don't get yer panties in a wad...", but most know that "knickers" are "panties" in the good Queen's English. :)

Ron

Posted by: Madison40 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:55PM

Reading One nation Under Gods is what lead me to leave the LDS church. Very informative book. It was easy for me to leave since I was a convert and did not have any family ties to the LDS Faith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.