Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:26PM

Another thread inspired me to start this one. My wife is in RS presidency and I am going to get her to try and do the Mrs. Butterworth, just so I can watch the eye rolls. That is hilarious.

So on to the survey:

What is the most ridiculous thing you were ever asked to do as a TBM?

While not that riduculous I recently was an auctioneer for a RS activity where they had points to spend based on how many "church" things they had done in the past month.

The auction was fun, and there were a lot of really cool things donated(along with some pretty silly ones) but the premise of how they got the points was the ridiculous part.

You got points for stuff like:

Did you pray today? 10 pts

Did you read your scriptures? 20 pts

Did you attend the temple within the past month? 100 pts

Instead why not things like...

Did you hug your kids? 50 pts

Were you kind to a stranger(without thought of conversion)? 25 pts.

Did you give your husband/bf/gf some action last night? 5000 pts

You know, important stuff.

I did want to add the best donation. One woman offered to call someone who was important to you and remind them how lucky they were to know you, and tell them what a great person you are. That is pure gold.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 02:42PM by icanseethelight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:44PM

Not only is it condescending and stupid, it's yet another way for people to trot out their supposed spirituality and put it on display for everyone to admire and emulate. That's one of the parts of Mormonism I hated the most - overt "spirituality" in front of everyone (while, of course, being a different person at home) so you scored more, looked better, and advanced faster.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:48PM

Most ridiculous? Bear my testimony in RS on fast sunday. RS President got up one day and said we turn the time over to you sisters because it can be hard to get up in front of the men to bear your testimony..really? Dh has a hard time getting me to shut up..it made me sad women would actually feel this way. I've always hated bearing my testimony because I couldn't cry on cue or tell some sappy story, so I stopped a long time ago..I think the last time was in YW's.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:48PM

Oh my gosh, we did this in our ward a few years ago. I declined to participate but I did donate a service to be auctioned off. And I did go do the work for the bishop's daughter, who had the high bid on what I offered. I'm not sure what else was donated so I'm not sure of what the best donation was but I know that even though I was still TBM, this activity seemed like a huge waste of time.

Date: February 12, 2012 02:49PM

You know, icanseethelight, I like your list a whole lot more than the auction list! :)

Date: February 12, 2012 03:07PM

Thank you. I like to pretend I am an enlightened being;)

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:49PM

Isn't Mrs Butterworth modeled after Butterfly McQueen, a black woman?

I wonder how making a black woman a pioneer is going to "fly?"

Oh, I really hope you can convince your wife to push this! Good times!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:55PM

I didn't make them but I've seen morg links on how to make them and I've talked to people who did them in RS.

Remember the glossy grape bunches? someone once decorated the tables at an exmo conference with those.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 05:54PM

Waste of a good tampon if you ask me.
I actually like the glass grapes and remember a set of blue one my grandmother always had in her living room. If I knew how, I'd make my own and maybe some other glass fruits, but I kinda like retro kitsch.

The funny thing, we always made really fun crafts in my ward growing up and we did some actual service projects like roadside cleaning, taking sanitary items to people in a mental health ward, gathering items to donate to a needy family, and repainting the homeless shelter. This was all before the Helping Hands BS.

Oh, I remember, now. Being expected to go to a YW Excellence program on a Valentine's Day when you're a teenager with a boyfriend. So stupid.

Date: February 12, 2012 02:56PM

You have got to be kidding! I've never heard of that, even after a lifetime in TSCC - that's so over the top I can't believe it!

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 03:14PM

"What is the most ridiculous thing you were ever asked to do as a TBM?"

take seriously Joe SMith, his claim to prophecy and his insanely lame and stupid LDS temple endowment

Posted by: European View ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 03:40PM

Our RS once made little aprons for dishwashing soap bottles to wear! Trimmed with lace and with little ties at the back.

Really practical and worthwhile. Wouldn't want your dish soap to look undressed.

No, I didn't participate, but someone kindly gave me an apron for my dishsoap. I gave it to one of my daughter's for her barbie doll.

Posted by: Flare ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 05:37PM

Sigh.

Yes, I once spent $75 to buy a "Dirt Cake" complete with oreo cookie crumbs and gummie worms at a YW auction to help the young ladies go to Cry Camp that coming summer.

What an idiot I was. Now I can think of plenty of things that $75 should have bought those young ladies instead.......

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 05:40PM

"babysit" my three younger siblings including a baby when I was NINE years old, while my parents went to the temple (about an hour's drive away, so 5-6 hours at a time). This was justified because:

a) I was over 8 years old and therefore could take responsibility for the younger ones

b) They were "promised" that nothing could ever hurt your kids when the parents were in the temple. (Who did the promising, I don't know)

Years later this would be proven false (and stupid) but that's another story.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 07:07PM

...yes, we were asked to save our Mrs. Butterworth's bottles so my friend's mom could make pioneer dolls out of them.

Come to think of it, since Mrs Butterworth ostensibly is African American, it's a BOM prophecy come true: the scales of darkness fell from the syrup bottle as she became white and delightsome.

Date: February 15, 2012 02:52PM

So I walked in on my wife's RS Presidency meeting last night as I was bringing something to my son that he forgot for scouts. They were planning and I brought up the idea to do the Mrs. Butterworth ( I might have said Aunt Jemima) syrup bottle pioneer women.

The whole presidency rolled there eyes and asked why would we do that?

I told them because it teaches the lesson about becoming white and delightsome through righteousness!

The RS President almost busted a gut. I think she may be a closet questioner.

So I do not think it is going to happen.

Oh well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.