Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mike Lee ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:27PM

Ever wanted to confront those annoying protestors and serve them some of their own hypocrisy?

ENJOY THE FOLLOWING VIDEO !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8q6rfhrmQ

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:31PM

Loved it

Posted by: gfsiena ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 05:24PM

Wow! What incredible immaturity...the sarcasm, the disrespect for others...the guy in the video harassing folks exercising their right to protest and to pray. I guess the rest of you think ripping a baby from its mother's womb is good for the mom & since the baby supposedly goes straight to heaven, well then that's just fine. You cannot possibly imagine how wounded women who have had abortions are; you cannot imagine their nightmares and the hell they experience during the day, the flashbacks, the pain. Yes, men do have a right to protest this act of horror. They may not have been pregnant or have a womb, but they have themselves been a fetus and they have a right to care for and love their sisters, daughters and friends and the unborn.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 05:27PM

Got under your skin, eh?

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 05:40PM

gfsien:

The last time I checked, the best evidence showed that less than 10% of women who have had abortions suffer from the aftereffects that you describe. The whole truth is that the vast majority of women who undergo the procedure are grateful that it was done and available to them--they were unable, for whatever reason, to support the fetus/child inside of them.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 07:24PM

gfsiena Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess the rest of you think ripping
> a baby from its mother's womb is good for the mom
> & since the baby supposedly goes straight to
> heaven, well then that's just fine. You cannot
> possibly imagine how wounded women who have had
> abortions are;

??? speak for yourself

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 10:05PM

I'm sorry to say, but what your describing sounds like the stories I've heard from women who were forced to have illegal back alley abortions before safe, legal abortion was made available.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 03:21AM

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 03:26AM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> n/t

+2

Posted by: anonhere ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 11:19PM

Actually yes - I *can* imagine what women who go through an abortion feel like. I've personally had an abortion. What the protestors describe outside those clinics are complete fabrications.

I don't have flashbacks or nightmares - never did. I did have a bit of emotional pain, purely out of fear of the protestors that terrorize women outside the clinics.

But I don't regret having the abortion at all. It was absolutely the right decision for me at that time of my life. I was in no condition to care for a child, and having also experienced adoption as an adoptee, I know that adoption is the more painful, torturing choice.

I've since had two children and love them dearly. And having children reinforced my view that abortion needs to be legal through licensed, regulated facilities, and accessible for any woman not ready to go through pregnancy and motherhood.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 12:46PM

I've also had an abortion. Making the decision to have the abortion was initially difficult because of all the shame that is heaped upon women who consider abortions during any discussion. Then I realized that I did not want to have the child. I was 6 wks along - at that point the fetus does not have a heart, brain, lungs, arms, or legs, and it is the size of pencil eraser. I'm sorry, but that's not a baby.

1 in 3 women will get an abortion over their lifetime. Single motherhood is the single largest predictor of poverty. The wage gap between single women and women with children is larger than the gap between men and women. Because pregnancy is not a disability, it is not covered under disability law, and employers can legally discriminate against pregnant women. On top of all that, all methods of birth control fail. The pill, has a typical use success rate of 91%, which means that 9 women out of a 100 using the pill will get pregnant that year.

The majority of the discourse around the pro-life argument is RELIGIOUS BASED. But science tells us there is a big difference between a fetus at 15 weeks and a fetus at 30 or 40 weeks. Let's stop shaming women for making choices that preserve their self-sovereignty and ability to successfully provide for themselves and their loved one. And lets stop calling abortion something it's not - because it's not murder, either in fact or in the eyes of the law.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 02:49AM

gfsiena Wrote:
> Wow! What incredible immaturity...the sarcasm, the
> disrespect for others...the guy in the video
> harassing folks exercising their right to protest
> and to pray.

Uh . . . That MIGHT be a good reply if he had gone to THEIR
church and "harassed" them when they were trying to pray, but
they were at Planned Parenthood harassing people on the other
people's turf.

If they don't want to be bothered by someone ELSE practicing
free speech, then stay in their church where they have the right
to control things.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 11:43AM

Hmm. Considering that most women do not experience regret over their medical decision to terminate, I'd say you're all wet.

Don't believe me? Ask them: http://www.imnotsorry.net

You're welcome.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:34PM

I guess they are those "cafeteria Christians".

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 05:38PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 10:16PM

Frightening !

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 06:01PM

Many years ago I used to do security for the L.A. gay pride festival and parade. Because of my level of experience, during the parade I was tasked with security for the part of the parade route where the fundies protested.

It was always the same group every year maybe 15 people grand total, but always the same people. I knew them by name.

Every year it was the same thing, the gay pride parade people started setting up first, then about a half hour before the start of the parade, the fundies would show up and start setting up. For the next half hour we were quite civil and chatted, catching up on events over the last year. Then when the parade reached our location, it was vulgar insults, lies, etc.. This lasted until the news cameras showed up and ended promptly when the news cameras left. Once the news cameras left, they got all civil again as they packed up and left.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 06:20PM

I loved the video.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 06:33PM

I've always wanted to take a folding mirror to the front lines of these protests, then open it in the people's faces and show them just what they look like while shouting.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 06:34PM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 05:39PM

I don't understand the connection between being anti- religion and loving abortion.

I consider myself an atheist and think it's sad that so many people don't get to live their one life.

Posted by: a regular from years ago ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 06:23PM

You know what I think is sad?

People who construct strawmen out of those they disagree with.

No one "loves" abortion.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 06:38PM

If you actually get down to it, there isn't really that big of a difference between most pro-life and pro-choice folks. Most pro-lifers actually make exceptions for several different kind of practical scenarios, and most pro-choicers are offended by those who use abortion capriciously.

Date: June 18, 2013 10:45PM

Yeah, 'cause the statement "No one "loves" abortion" isn't a fallacy either.

A cousin of a former close friend used to say she had to go for another "scrape" because she got knocked up again. I think a lot of people love abortion. It takes away responsibility. Some see it as simple birth control and have been educated to not think of the foetus as anything but a by-product.

I'm not anti-abortion, however you can't tell me that most abortions occur due to the result of prophylactic failure, rape or incest.

Date: June 18, 2013 11:27PM

Then that person is just being an ignorant, irresponsible fuckhead for not being on birth control.

Date: June 18, 2013 11:51PM

She's not the only one.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 05:46AM

Your anectdotal account of one woman you knew who was irresponsible with her health, going in for "scrapes", does not represent the majority of women who have abortions.

I've know several women who've had them, and none of them had any such cavelier attitude. It's a very unpleasant, invasive, expensive medical procedure, not something anyone "loves" to have to do.

If men were the ones who got pregnant, can you imagine any such morally judgemental comments taking place? Or there being any serious debate about promiscuous men just using abortion as birth control, or which forms of conception are morally justifiable enough to entitle men to make decisions about their own bodies, rather than allowing them to have abortions "handed out on demand", as the fundies say? It would never happen.

As Gloria Steinem said, if men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

Posted by: ballzac ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 11:39PM

+1

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 03:32AM

ozpoof Wrote:
> I don't understand the connection between being
> anti- religion and loving abortion.
>
> I consider myself an atheist and think it's sad
> that so many people don't get to live their one
> life.

I consider myself semi-religious yet pro-choice. I don't like abortion, and it saddens me that sufficuently effective birth control is available to prevent the need for the vast majority of abortions, yet whom am I to tell any woman what she must do with her body?

If my wife's life were threatened by a pregnancy and she was not conscious or otherwise in a condition to make the choice for herself, I'd choose abortion in a heartbeat. It would be with sadness at the loss of what would have been our baby, but if I had to choose between abortion and my wife, my wife would come first without a second thought.

Posted by: Hayduke ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 10:00PM

When women don't have access to family planning, birth control, and/or medical care, or possibly even domestic safety, when women find themselves with an unplanned pregnancy, from misinformation, or violence, or poverty, or finds herself in comprised health, abortion may seem like a valid option. When she still has no access to family planning, birth control options, or safe medical care, she may still seek out an abortion. When an unsafe abortion is performed without skill, or sterilization, or proper instruments, severe consequences can be a result.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21118043/

From the abstract, "Unsafe abortion is a significant cause of

*death and
*ill health
in women in the developing world. A substantial body of research on these consequences exists, although studies are of variable quality. However, unsafe abortion has a number of other significant consequences that are much less widely recognized. These include the
*economic consequences, the
*immediate costs of providing medical care for abortion-related complications, the
*costs of medical care for longer-term health consequences,
*lost productivity to the country, the
*impact on families and the community, and the
*social consequences that affect women and families."

Date: June 18, 2013 10:31PM

From the abstract,

"Some 68,000 women die of unsafe abortion annually, making it one of the leading causes of maternal mortality (13%). Of the women who survive unsafe abortion, 5 million will suffer long-term health complications. Unsafe abortion is thus a pressing issue. Both of the primary methods for preventing unsafe abortion—less restrictive abortion laws and greater contraceptive use—face social, religious, and political obstacles, particularly in developing nations, where most unsafe abortions (97%) occur."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709326/

Date: June 18, 2013 10:38PM

What's really sick is that so many people believe that access to safe & legal abortion actually endangers the lives of women.

Date: June 18, 2013 10:40PM

http://fardoh.blogspot.com/2006/03/so-what-exactly-did-women-do-before.html?m=1

"The abortion method most commonly described by the women involved the insertion of a foreign object into the cervix: slippery elm bark, a knitting needle, a ballpoint pen, a hard rubber catheter, a douche nozzle or some kind of “sharp instrument.” In one method, the inserted object was left there, held in place by gauze packing which plugged the vagina. In a variation on this method, a solution was introduced into the uterus through the catheter or nozzle. These same basic methods were used both by abortionists and by women on themselves."
"Many women in these stories first tried one or more traditional folk recipes, such as taking laxatives or castor oil or douching with potassium permanganate, to bring on a miscarriage. Nancy’s experience was typical: “I tried all the things I knew — hot baths and gin, jumping down stairs, scrubbing floors, carrying heavy things up stairs, taking quinine, punching my stomach — nothing worked.” Such attempts were miserably unsuccessful."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.