Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 03:54PM

Mormonism teaches that polygamy is a Celestial practice and since everything in Mormonism is about attaining celestial status in Gods Kingdom all members will be expected to accept and practice this law.

Men, women and children, so-call mainstream Mormons want to run a Public Relations campaign that tells non-Mormons that they don’t practice polygamy. But that is simply not true anddddd if the laws in our country ever changed to make it legal don’t you know “the Prophet” would have a sudden revelation from God that it’s now time to reinstate the institute of plural marriage.

So once again Mormons are liars.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 04:01PM

but yeah, that too.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 04:01PM

I agree that everything about Mormonism about conditioning obedience, but I don't think polygamy is much of a goal.

It would cut into conversions and retention and lower tithing.

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 04:06PM

Posted by: JBryan ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 04:08PM

Plural marriage was a disaster. It's MAIN purpose was so that as a sexual predator, Joe could molest all the teenage girls he wanted and "god" would give it a green light.

Now Mormons are trapped by their past. I believe the leadership would love nothing more than to get rid of "spiritual" polygamy but then that would go against the very foundations of LDS doctrine as outlined in the D&C.

So they just continue to run away from it and hope that they will get both members and non-members to "pay no attention to that horny man behind the curtain".

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 06:51PM

I agree with you that the Mormon church's polygamous past is a huge public relations disaster following them around. But look at the way they're denying other primary doctrines, such as the belief that Native Americans are the primary ancestors of the Lamanites. That was the whole idea behind the Book of Mormon. I didn't think it was possible for them to ditch that, and yet here they are doing it.

They could very easily say that the Lord instituted polygamy temporarily for whatever reason, but that has all passed now. Then they could remove Section 132 from the D&C and eliminate the sealings of more than one women for time and all eternity to a single man in the temple. But they don't do that. For whatever reason, they keep a seed of this doctrine alive. It's as if they're just waiting to bring it back, even though it would be disastrous for them to do so.

If they can get rid of the "primary ancestor of the Lamanites" doctrine, they can get rid of polygamy. But for some reason, they're not doing it. I have no idea why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 06:52PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 07:25PM

The big difference though is public perception. Ask the average North American nevermo what comes to mind when they hear the word Mormon... it won't be that they are a group that believes that Native Americans are transplanted Hebrews. It will be polygamy.

TSCC can change the belief about Lamanites and nobody but exmormons will care. TBMs will just bow their heads and accept what the brethren put out there, and nonmormons won't know or care.

But it will be impossible for them to free themselves from their association with polygamy. It is too deeply embedded in people's perception of Mormonism. They will not reinstitute the practice of polygamy because it is too far outside of mainstream America. LD$, Inc.is now all about the money, and no corporation want sto be perceived as being a bunch of loonies.

Posted by: fascinated nevermo ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 04:35PM

My TBM daughter admits to the church's teaching on celestial polygamy but believes it is optional and she won't be required to participate. Does anyone know if this is a prevalent belief now, or if it's being taught at the BYU schools?

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 04:58PM

to participate in polygamy in the Celestial Kingdom. Where would that leave her in the great fantasyland in the sky? It seems like she would have to follow along, because her temple covenants require her to follow her husband if he is righteous. And we all know polygamy, in heaven at least, is considered righteous. Nobody has said anything about divorce in the CK to my knowledge, so your daughter would be stuck with it!

In other words, it's a really crazy "theology."

Date: September 25, 2010 05:06PM

But..... If you're really a TBM you'll accept it and practice it and love it, because that’s how you show your maturity in the Gospel. What girl won’t fall for that! The applause and approval she’ll get for being mature in the Gospel girl.

And this my friends is how Mormonism works its worm virus into the psyche of members; feel free to substitute anything subject or topic you may find disagreeable or tasteful about the Gospel according to Mormonism and just add a good spin.

See the conditioning, the introduction of ideas and the temple practice and the requirement of marriage to get into the celestial kingdom, the fact that if a woman passes away before her husband and he remarries she now has a sister wife.

Sorry, polygamy is alive and well in Mormonism and just like the Corporation they are all they need to do is wait for the winds of fortune to change and the opportunity to implement the policy again.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 05:16PM

and asked if a man can be sealed to more than one woman in the temple, doesn't that mean polygamy is practiced in heaven. I'll never forget the answer, which was--and do be sure to imagine this with the condescending facial expression and little-girl voice that only a bishop's wife can muster: "If you're good enough to make it to the Celestial Kingdom, you'll love your sister so much that you won't mind sharing."

Then the long, uncomfortable silence followed by a change of subject.

Of course it was intended to put me in my place.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 10:16PM

When I was first interested in dating the LDS woman whom I proofread the braille version of the AIMS test (required for all students from 4th to 12th grades in the state of Arizona), I sent her an email of my interest. She responded by sending me an email back asking if I was ready to accept D&C32, which I now know is the chapter that authorizes polligamy.

On the other hand, the LDS church is trying really hard to get in bed with Christian fundamentalist groups (such as southern Baptists and Assemblies of God) as a way to gain both favor and political power. Given these efforts, I can't imagine the current leadership going back to the practice of polligamy, even if it were allowed--it would burn too many bridges.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 06:34PM

My active tbm kids seem to believe this lie. One son told me he and his DW read Sec. 132 carefully, and they believe it allows for monogamy in the highest degree of the CK.

I know, go fig...

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 08:37PM

This is how they explain anything that might make someone uncomfortable. Like baptism for the dead. Those who question this practice are told that the dead do not have to accept the baptism and can refuse it. As if the dead are all sitting around in god's waiting room waiting for their chance to accept or reject the gospel. I wonder if there are missionaries who teach the lessons in the spirit world?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 08:57PM

"I wonder if there are missionaries who teach the lessons in the spirit world?"

Oh, of course.

I was taught this explicitly as doctrine when I joined in 1969. I would assume this is still doctrine today?

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 11:02PM

If I'm remembering right, Mormons believe that if a young man (or woman) dies on their mission, not only will they go directly to heaven for dying while in the service of the Lard, they will be the ones who get the chance to teach about some earthly church to the unlucky souls in spirit prison. This was taught in seminary when I was in high school (I graduated in '99). So in essence, yes, they do believe that all these poor saps who didn't accept in this life are in some waiting room, hoping someone will find some obscure birth record and be dipped in their name. And in the Mormon mind, if you die and someone comes to you to tell you what religion was true, you'd accept it because...you're DEAD.

Date: September 25, 2010 06:20PM

on the victim. There is nothing wrong with us, it must be you!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 05:16AM

have free access to continually harass non-mormon dead spirits. Except that mormons think the dead don't flip off or slam doors because they're smarter and nicer in death than they were when they hosed living mishies.

Dead spirit mishies and dead dunking are almost as distasteful as polygamy in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 05:18AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 09:26AM

Harold B. Lee remarried after the death of his first wife. In honor of the occasion, he wrote a little poem:

"My lovely Joan was sent to me: So Joan joins Fern
That three might be, more fitted for eternity.
"O Heavenly Father, my thanks to thee"

How lovely! Gag!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.