Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:51PM

Mormonism had quite a history of teaching creationism for some time. Joseph Fielding Smith was quite adamant about it, and claimed to be speaking FOR god (and not as a man) whenever approached with the subject. Bruce R. McKonkie in his "seven deadly heresies" also made sure to put apostalic pressure on any who might disagree with Bruce on anything that Bruce said. Even when it was wishy washy as I've put below where McKonkie actually quotes Joseph.

"Heresy two concerns itself with the relationship between organic evolution and revealed religion and asks the question whether they can be harmonized.

There are those who believe that the theory of organic evolution runs counter to the plain and explicit principles set forth in the holy scriptures as these have been interpreted and taught by Joseph Smith and his associates. There are others who think that evolution is the system used by the Lord to form plant and animal life and to place man on earth.

May I say that all truth is in agreement, that true religion and true science bear the same witness, and that in the true and full sense, true science is part of true religion. But may I also raise some questions of a serious nature. Is there any way to harmonize the false religions of the Dark Ages with the truths of science as they have now been discovered? is there any way to harmonize the revealed religion that has come to us with the theo- retical postulates of Darwinism and the diverse speculations descending therefrom?

Should we accept the famous document of the First Presidency issued in the days of President Joseph F. Smith and entitled "The Origin of Man" as meaning exactly what it says? Is it the doctrine of the gospel that Adam stood next to Christ in power and might and intelligence before the foundations of the world were laid; that Adam was placed on this earth as an immortal being; that there was no death in the world for him or for any form of life until after the Fall; that the fall of Adam brought temporal and spiritual death into the world; that this temporal death passed upon all forms of life, upon man and animal and fish and fowl and plant life; that Christ came to ransom man and all forms of life from the effects of the temporal death brought into the world through the Fall, and in the case of man from a spiritual death also; and that this ransom includes a resurrection for man and for all forms of life? Can you harmonize these things with the evolutionary postulate that death has always existed and that the various forms of life have evolved from preceding forms over astronomically long periods of time?

Can you harmonize the theories of men with the inspired words that say: And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the Garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.

And they [meaning Adam and Eve] would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.

But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy. And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. [2 Ne. 2:22-26]

These are questions to which all of us should find answers. Every person must choose for himself what he will believe. I recommend that all of you study and ponder and pray and seek light and knowledge in these and in all fields.

I believe that the atonement of Christ is the great and eternal foundation upon which revealed religion rests. I believe that no man can be saved unless he believes that our Lord's atoning sacrifice brings immortality to all and eternal life to those who believe and obey, and no man can believe in the atonement unless he accepts both the divine sonship of Christ and the fall of Adam.

My reasoning causes me to conclude that if death has always prevailed in the world, then there was no fall of Adam that brought death to all forms of life; that if Adam did not fall, there is no need for an atonement; that if there was no atonement, there is no salvation, no resurrection, and no eternal life; and that if there was no atonement, there is nothing in all of the glorious promises that the Lord has given us. I believe that the Fall affects man, all forms of life, and the earth itself, and that the atonement affects man, all forms of life, and the earth itself."

Bruce has put himself in a tight position, and anyone who wants to take these "truths" literally has quite a bit of compartmentalization to do.

The world is a little over 4 billion years old. Mankind has only been on this planet for not 6000 years, but over a million. Species have come and gone--including ones incredibly similar to us but who weren't "quite human." Yet the timeline of this speech is simple:

God created the earth, all the animals and Adam and Eve in the garden. Nothing died until Adam fell, then people need jesus to save them. Evolution has zero room in this short time-line.

Once again, the profits don't know what they are talking about. No scientific evidence supports the creationist outline proclaimed in the above speech.

Mormonism today has tried to shy away from this strict position, but only because the current authorities have been incredibly silent on the issue.

Interesting for god to allow his profit to be so wrong about something, but not give more light and knowledge to his pack of grovelers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 23, 2010 10:59PM

Your posts are shallow and pedantic.

Indeed.

Shallow and pedantic.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:02AM

What was that book where one of the Apostles writes about how cell theory couldn't possibly exist?

Date: November 24, 2010 12:03AM

Date: November 24, 2010 12:03AM

Wow, connection fail much? Sorry for the double posts.

Date: November 24, 2010 12:08AM

The Origin of Man, Joseph F. Smith is really really crazy. That might be the one you are talking about.

Date: November 24, 2010 07:38PM

No there was another.. I'll find it in a bit and update this with the link.

Edited: CELL THEORY IN QUESTION
http://www.cumorah.com/language/evidencesandreconciliations.html

scroll down to section 31 with the title Cell Theory in Question.
Obviously the guy is a total ignoramus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 07:48PM by vhainya.

Date: November 24, 2010 01:23PM

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:23PM

Well, I care. Very well done.

Enjoyed-it-thoroughly-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 05:21PM

Thanks for your shallow and pedantic post, raptorjesus. I enjoyed reading it. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.