Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newme ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:28PM

Seeing how that nasty "pink slime" picture (rooting from Jamie Oliver's efforts) went viral online causing McDonalds to remove it from their meat product made me think about what picture related to the church could go viral and might have a similar effect on the church.

People need to SEE something that's shocking but true and quick to read or look at, and is so shocking that they are moved to share it with friends. Right now there are a lot of great news stories getting passed around about the church, but similarly for McDonald's the information was always out there, but no one really cared until they actually SAW that one picture and felt the disgust in their gut. McDonalds had no choice but to do something.

I had a few ideas:

A picture of Romney in temple clothes doing the secret handshake in a prayer circle with the quote "Romney likes to help dead people become Mormon" (is this not absolutely true?)

Or a picture of a young boy or girl sitting in an office with a bishop who says to him/her "Do you masturbate?

JS with his 14 year old bride.

A picture of the mall purchased with tithing money (with the cost printed underneath) right next to a picture of a member scrubbing a toilet, and a picture of an impoverished child.

What else is shocking and disgusting, but very true about the church and could be summed up in one picture?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:38PM

the photo of people in those temple robes and green aprons around the alter performing the slit throats and disembowments, because is still happens in temples

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:42PM

i've been wondering along the same lines

lately i've been fascinated by how much traction baptism for the dead has gotten - i never would've guessed - but then, being a former mormon maybe my perspective is still a bit skewed

i actually wonder if the proxy marriages might get to people if they knew about them - as in, "hey, the mormon church doesn't think your grandparents were 'really' married so they went and married them again... mormon style"

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:36PM

I love this idea!

I don't think some of these concepts are truly horrifying until you can see a visual of them. I love the idea of Mitt Romney doing the temple rituals... Someone sneak in a camera, quick!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:11AM

yin wrote:
I love the idea of Mitt Romney doing the temple rituals

The Corp would just say it was Photoshopped.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:39AM

Familysearch screenshots of JS's underage brides and some polygyny.

Maybe some one with skills could put together a short slideshow of screen shots from family search: Mormon Marriage...

1. Familysearch - Zina marries Jacob,
2. Birth details of their child
3. Familysearch - Zina marries Joseph (heavily pregnant)
4. Birth details of child presumed to be Jacob's a month or so later
5. Joseph death details
6. Quote from History of the Church detailing that Joseph left his wives to his buddies
7. Classic quote Brigham made about men standing in other mens shoes and having to vacate them now the church was moving west.
8. Familysearch screenshot of Brigham's marriage to Zina
9. Birth details of Zina and Brigham's children.
10. Quotes from truly pathetic letter Jacob sent to Zina about still loving her. (cue Whiney Houston)
11. Familysearch screenshot of Jacob's consolation marriage to some other poor woman.
=Count the number of husbands and wives in this extended union!
12. Maybe wrap up with D&C132 on polyandry.

8 may have actually preceeded 7 I think. But prefacing the video "unretouched screenshots - check them out yourself!" shoud help hammer home the reality of polandry.

Edit: my kids have conspired to make random keys nonfunctioning on my laptop. Apologies for any typos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 03:42AM by spanner.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 08:07AM

I think the baptism for the dead stuff gets traction because it impacts non-mormons or their ancestors. People will tolerate a lot of weird stuff if it is kept within the religion, but if a religion is performing secret rites on your dead ancestors people tend to get upset. Does Ancestry.com list information about whether someones work has been done for them? Does Family search? Perhaps the commercial could direct viewers to check to see if Mormons baptized grandma.

Second, I think a commercial talking about the typical types of questions Romney would have asked as a bishop or stake president would be effective.

Posted by: Drai ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:50AM

If anyone could get a video of Mitt as bishop asking young kids about masturbation or even a young bride-to-be about her sex life, it would be a HUGE bombshell.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:54AM

I like all your ideas. But the one with kids would get the atention of parents faster. The question is the shocker!!!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:05PM

A printout of Adolf Hitlers's temple work.
A printout of Josef Mengele's temple work.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:31PM

Not the kooky beliefs, not the doctrinal differences...even the mind control angle could meet resistance because of a lack of understanding on the topic.

But FRAUD will make the papers every time.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:44AM

How about the picture of Hitler's baptism record? Or any Jewish holocaust victim's baptism record? Or if we want to be nicer, how about the baptism records of any of our founding fathers in the US? It all sucks.
I agree that we do need to give them a BIG TASTE of their own medicine. They go on their merry way forever and ever. It stinks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 02:47AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 06:39AM

All this talk of mittens saving the Olympics needs a good counterpoint.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 09:57AM

Missionaries being trained to lie. Robert Millet specifically training people on how to lie, in order to seal the sales transaction for LDS Inc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zA-rZQB-xQ

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 10:05AM

The photo of the painting that is hanging in the St. George temple of the founding fathers appearing to Wilford Woodruff demanding to be made Mormons. The teabagger "Christians" who love to spout off about how Christian the founding fathers were should love it. Let them know that obviously, the founding fathers are now Mormon, so they'd want a Mormon president.

http://glenhopkinson.squarespace.com/painters-journal/2009/10/9/george-washington-founding-fathers-visit-wilford-woodruff-in.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.