Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 03:44PM

Sometimes after reading heavy posts: underwear, separation and divorce, coffee and tea, etc., I thought it would be fun to have anyone list their favorite music that detracts from all this heaviness. I love classical music but anyone can name their favorite in their favorite musical genre.

Mine is Mozart's C-Minor Mass with the absolute ethereal soprano solo in the opening Kyrie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 03:46PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 03:52PM

Always been partial to Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata." I'm a classically trained pianist (i don't play so much these days) so it's difficult for me to choose just one. I love Mozart, Tchiakovsky, Chopin, Handel, Bach, Schubert......Too many to name and love!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:00PM

Erik Satie

- especially 'embryons desséchés' because it always makes me laugh and 'Gnossienne No. 1, 2, 3' etc...

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:10PM

Tchaikovsky's "Pathetique" Symphony is my all time favorite. But I love all Russian composers.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:36PM

I used to annoy the other elders on my mission with Johann Strauss's Viennese Waltzes, which were perfectly within mission rules but made everyone feel they were at a party. That music really raised my spirits when I was having a hard time.

I also love Mozart's Mass in C-minor. There's a part that scares the crap out of me every time though. Mozart, what a trickster.

I love Bach's Brandenburg concertos, particularly #3, 4 and 5. I also love his preludes and fugues for the well-tempered clavier. I used to play some of them when I was a teen.

I love the opera Carmen by Bizet. My mother sang in big production in Boise when I was a kid, and she always took me to see it whenever it was performed. I also love the opera L'Orfeo by Monteverdi.

I think the music of György Ligeti is exciting, especially Lux Aeterna and Requiem which were used in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I like Holst's "The Planets" and Beethoven's piano sonatas and the piano works of Claude Debussy. I play Clair de Lune on the piano.

I think my favorite piano works are Chopin's nocturnes, particularly the one in E minor Op.72 No.1.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 04:43PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 07:33PM

Glad someone mentioned Ligeti.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:11PM

I love classical, too. Even named my daughter, Elise! LOL
But, really and truly, I'm a rock and roll girl at heart!
KISS, The Hollys, all that "old" stuff!

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:22PM

Sounds like a Willie Nelson song (or a polygamist motto)

Cesar Franck Prelude, Fugue and Variations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp01vvucPAw&feature=related

Gabrael Faure, Pie Jesu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLvNRLFMYhg&feature=related

Joseph Canteloube, Chants d'Auvergne ― 'Baïlèro'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LUu45cHPc

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:23PM

'New World' Symphony by Dvorak or Handel's Water Music!

If I need "spiritual" classic music, break out that polyphonic stuff by Palestrina or Tallis: that's how heaven oughta sound.

Posted by: Tanqueray & Tonic ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:24PM

As a piece of music, Gretchaninoff's cherubic hymn. As a genre, classical Jewish liturgical choral works.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:29PM

Brahms' "Schicksalslied". I think I spelled that right. Actually, I dig a lot of Brahms' stuff.

Here's a gorgeous version... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgAtDnBmsA4&feature=related

ETA: I also love Faure's Requiem. It was very helpful when I was in college and had a roommate with sinus problems.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 06:19PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:56PM

Big Beethoven fan here. And Lulu, I have a recording of the Chants D'Auvergne by Victoria de los Angeles - I never met someone who knows this music...

I often listen to this song on the way home after a particularly stressful day at the office - brings me total peace and quiet: Im Abendroth by Richard Strauss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DvrK3alWIk

At the moment, I'm listening to Sarasate, Bach partita's performed by Jeanine Jansen, and Claude Bolling.

Also in my car collection (I have an hour-long commute): Lynnard Skynnard, ACDC and the Dixie Chicks.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:57PM

North Indian Classical Music (Hindustani)....Nikhil Banerjee on Sitar (Raga Hemant, Raga Bimplasi) or Z.M. Dagar on Rudra Vina (Raga Yaman)....those aresome of my favorites.

The other thing I do is write music, play, record, preform, etc......it's something that keeps me sane and calm when life gets too busy.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:58PM

I love almost anything Dvorak! Love Beethoven, Bruckner, and most music from the Romantic period. Tchaikovsky's Pathetique is also a favorite. I tend to go more for symphonic works rather than solo instrument ones, though I will make an exception for my beloved cello! For cello, I love the Elgar cello concerto, and the Dvorak cello concerto.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:59PM

I love Allegri's "Miserere."

The story goes that this piece was so loved by the pope that he kept it for himself. For years it could only be played in the Sistene Chapel during the week between Palm Sunday and Easter. Mozart was in Rome one year during holy week. He attended a performance of the Misere, memorized it, and after he left he wrote the whole thing down. He went to another performance later in the week with the score hidden in his hat. He followed along to check for mistakes and found a couple. (Not bad for a piece that lasts around 20 minutes.) Not sure how much of all that is true, but I love the story.

I love Mozart's C-minor mass and the Requiem. Love the Faure Requiem as well. For a year or two I realized that all the music I was buying was either classical sacred choral music or punk rock. Does that mean I'm well rounded or bipolar?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 05:09PM

Angry? Give me some modern music! Maybe Prokofieff, Stravinsky, Bartok or something percussive.

Mellow? Debussy, or mellow Chopin. Bach suites for solo cello or violin (amazing).

Needing energy and focus? Bach (the Brandenburg concertos were the first cds I ever bought) or Mozart (symphonies, concertos, piano sonatas). I also love the Beethoven string chamber music.

Just about anytime? Anything by Rachmaninoff, Chopin.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 06:16PM

The Blue Danube and Tales From a Vienna Forest by Strauss. I love these two so much that I even have them on a 78 record!

Brandenburg Concertos--so lively.

Any kind of chamber music, which seems to really "fit" in my living room.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 06:29PM

Sibelius's 1st and 5th Symphonies.

Date: February 29, 2012 06:35PM

I also love Smetana's Moldau...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtLuyWuPDs

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 06:52PM

also his Deploration de la mort d'Ockeghem. Love the Allegri, too. Franco-Flemish and Renaissance polyphany just floats me away...

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 06:54PM

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 06:58PM

Chopin, Ballade No.4 in F Minor, Op. 52.

Of course performed by the incomparable Vladimir Horowitz.

Always takes me to another place.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 07:02PM

Oh, I love so many but the one that realy is THE one for me is le Boléro de Ravel.
It always feels to me like a love making session, you know
the gradual crescendo that finishes with the climax in the end.
;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 07:41PM by quebec.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 07:32PM

Shostakovich!

Those Russians composers are rockstars.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 07:44PM

Another vote for Shostakovich. I think his eight symphony is my favorite.

I've been listening to Mahler's third a lot lately too.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:07PM

AUGH! You are so cool! Mozart's mass in c minor makes me feel like I'm flying! It's so delicious! And his requiem, and Symphonic Dances by Rachmoninoff and pretty much most things Dmitri Hvorsotvosky sings.
Opera.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:07PM

Ack! How could I forget Smetana's 'Moldau'? (I'm Slovak even, and it stirs my soul!) and Gustav Mahler.

Date: February 29, 2012 08:13PM

I have that album. It's very nice.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:18PM

Sviridov.
Beethoven, especially Ode to Joy. Makes me flap my arms in glee.
Hebrides overture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.