Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 03:13PM

Apparently, she sent in her video to Dr. Phil to brag about how to correctly punish your kids without beating them.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/religion/2630453/posts?page=25

Abusive mom was leader of LDS children's organization, story on Dr. Phil (OPEN)
Dr. Phil.com ^
Posted on November 20, 2010 7:38:09 AM PST by greyfoxx39

Abusive LDS stake primary president on Dr. Phil.

This video was VERY difficult for me to watch.

http://drphil.com/videos/?Url=/house/flv/9039_1.flv&background=header_drphil_video.jpg

This information was sent to me by someone who remembered her from a visit to a friend in her area and that she was a primary president at the time. Primary is the mormon childrens' organization. The father is a policeman.

The following link to her blog verifies her identity.

http://thebeagleybunch.blogspot.com/

The boy is adopted from Russia. There are six children in the home, one a special needs child. The 10 year old daughter took the video.

The woman in the video is shown in this blog with a picture she calls her "forever family".

She says: "We were sealed in the Bountiful, Utah Temple on June 6, 2009. Our forever family was established 14 years ago. We have SIX very active children. I know we have been blessed to have these sweet spirits in our home."

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 25, 2010 03:30PM

How common is this type of behavior in MORmON families? My Grandparents were physically/verbally abusive and my wife's grandpa was an active child molester while all were active with high positions in the Mormon church. Hot sauce and Alaskan cold showers is also disturbing.

So what abusive practices have you seen?

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 07:12PM

. . . who will probably be doing whatever it takes to get the f**k away from HER for the rest of Eternity.

I only hope that her own eternal punishment fits the crimes she inflicted on that little boy.

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 08:39PM

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 08:44PM

Someone should call protective services on her like what happened with that girl from teen mom. This mother needs to be treated to severe consequences.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 10:20PM

In fact, there was an attorney there who wanted to remove all the children immediately but agreed to let Dr. Phil get a team to try and help first. But Dr. Phil was pissed at the mother too -- and it showed.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 02:50PM

Good, I'm glad, she's a terrible mother, Rather than removing the kids, maybe they should remove the mother. Wow, she's awful. I hope Dr. Phil's team does a good job, and I hope the state stays on top of it in case the team doesn't.

Date: November 26, 2010 05:36PM

She was horrified.

Funny thing, the woman's mother was there and one of the people in the audience was saying that she wondered if this was how the grandmother treated her. The grandmother's face was simply frozen. I really wonder how she DID treat this woman as a child.

Date: November 25, 2010 09:07PM

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 09:31PM

Not to diminish the circumstance here, but I think in the Morg many kids are treat way worse.
My parents make his lady look like Mother Teresa -- I'm totally not kidding. My dad was especially mean and has served in some fairly high positions in the church.
What can you expect, the church teaches control.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:17AM

I couldn't watch that when I saw the commercials, as that was enough to make me want to vomit. I think that the reason her 8 year old daughter "chose" to be baptized is that she was afraid of what her mother would do to her if she declined it.

Posted by: Glad2B Out ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 05:20AM

I notice the Beagley gang blog is now accessible only to those who are invited. So much for letting your light shine for all to see.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:17AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 07:18AM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:08AM

Even Deseret "News" controls monitors the responses and comments.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 09:28AM

Rodolfo posted a very shrewd analysis of Mrs. Beagley's reaction on OrangeCat's earlier thread. Bottom line: she thought she was modeling APPROPRIATE parenting behavior and was very surprise when she was informed that she needed to change or child protective services would be knocking at her door.

P.S. Oh, Nick, I thought that might be your comment and wondered if she might shut down her blog.

Her blog was complete Mormon propaganda, but it would have been interesting to read her take on what was going on... I read and left a comment on an Alaskan news site that characterized Dr. Phil as "exploiting" the Beagley family. I really want to know what will happen to those kids.

Date: November 26, 2010 10:06AM

People were horrified by that clip.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 05:45PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:12AM

Another post had a link to the babycenter where they all decried her and none of them seemed to know she was one of them.
I'd love to see how their opinions change as soon as they find out...

Posted by: mireille ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:31AM

What, they didn't see the Del Parson Jesus on the wall in the background? Huge tip-off for me.

Posted by: Peter ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 03:30PM

she was a primary president at the
> time.

So much for "inspired callings". It is almost as if church leaders are receiving no inspiration whatsoever, and they make callings based on their own limited opinions and knowledge.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 04:17PM

Posted by: Girl Poster ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 09:00PM

Calling protective services in Utah would do nothing for the child. This agency is populated with mormons. I called in one case and have worked with children who have been in worse cases, and DCFS in Utah will not do a damn thing. Parental rights always come first, and the parents are always believed. The kids always deserve it or they are flat out making it up because they don't want to be punished.

Posted by: Someone else ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 09:04PM

If you replace the hot sauce and cold shower with a spanking, or someone dragging the kid around by his shirt collar, you have standard mormon parenting. These episodes of abuse don't happen once a week, they happen every day. This isn't just based on my home, it was what I saw in my friend's homes too. And when a kid leaves home he deals with control-oriented mormon teachers (90% of the teachers at my elementary school were mormon, and most were evil). And when you zoom from the micro climate to state level politics and university class room conversations, the same theme of domination, interrogation and alienation is present. And if you are gay, female, intelligent or sensitive you are doubly screwed, because then you trigger this outrage from your surroundings ten fold times over. And there are no therapists to help because they are all mormon too. Out of state mormonism is too complex a reality for people to grasp. There is a huge need for the therapy community to study mormonism and the way it creates these specific cycles of abuse. Being abused in a community context like this is a very different experience.

Posted by: dita@yahoo.com ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 09:07PM

My mormon mother thinks this woman is a good parent. The kid deserved it is how she sees it. When my mother finally went to therapy after my father had an affair, her therapist backed up this kind of abuse. My mother did this kind of stuff all the time. One of my earliest memories is her breaking a ping pong paddle on my three year old ass.

Posted by: Littlewing ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:55PM

I wish there was a way to contact this stupid woman.That poor little boy. She needs to have her kids taken from her. I HATE HER HAIR. She needs to see a stylist asap.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 05:48PM

and is multiracial. One of her daughters also inherited her hair texture, at least the curliness.
The hair comments are purely racist -- please stick to the serious issue of child abuse.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 09:47PM

Her hair is very severely tamed. She could adopt a freer, more casual style. I think the hair reflects her desire for control and unfortunately, what could be very attractive, isn't at all.

Posted by: GirlyWarrior ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 03:00AM

I saw much abuse in my friends families, but I also experienced much abuse in my own. My parents were very emotionally and verbally abusive. My mom used hot sauce on us if we spoke wrong or out of line, slaps to the face, severe spanking and public humiliation was the name of the game during my childhood. There was also more severe physical abuse my mother and father both dealt to my brother (2 years my senior) who turned around and physically abused me to the extreme that the police and school had to be involved. This abuse went from the earliest I can remember as a child up until I was 15 when I broke my neck and my brother couldn't hit me. He would tell me, though, that he'd beat me up if it weren't for my neck. He used to also severely beat my friends if they came over. My sister stood up for me but my parents never believed us.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 03:24AM

The hot sauce and cold shower were appalling. How can that little boy feel loved in a home like that?

I didn't grow up in a Mormon home but my mother was very quick with a backhand across the mouth if I dared to talk back (which I did, all the time). Spankings and being hit across the legs with belts or fly-swatter handles were commonplace too.

This kind of stuff does not encourage you to be more obedient. It just teaches you to be sneakier and not get caught. And just for the record, I did NOT grow up to be a career criminal. I'm basically law-abiding; I just evade and avoid authoritarian people.

The mother in that video was dreadful. Her children deserve better.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 05:38AM

...they will just increase the pressure and make things worse. The "treatment" would involve more fasting, prayer, and reading the scriptures. The leaders do not realize that they are a significant part of the problem and that they typically prescribe supposed corrective actions that will make matters worse.

A good first step for this woman would be to stop reading her scriptures and other TSCC sanctioned materials. She would probably see some benefits to not attending church too. She is actually a poster child for her leaders' and her (supposed) god's behavior.

"When God sanctions violence, believers act more aggressively

ANN ARBOR, Mich.-Reading violent scriptures increases aggressive behavior, especially among believers, a new study finds. The study by University of Michigan social psychologist Brad Bushman and colleagues helps to illuminate one of the ways that violence and behavior are linked.

After reporting their religious affiliations and beliefs, participants read a passage adapted from the King James Bible that described a woman's brutal murder and her husband's revenge on her attackers. Half the participants were told that the passage came from the Old Testament, half that it came from an ancient scroll found by archeologists. Half the participants from each of these groups read a version of the passage that included a sentence in which God commanded his followers to take arms against others.

The researchers found that both the religious and secular students were more aggressive...when told that the passage they read came from the Bible. Aggressive responses also increased when participants read that God directly sanctioned violence. The increased level of aggression was greater among believers than among secularists, however.

"Our results further confirm previous research showing that exposure to violent media causes people to behave more aggressively if they identify with the violent characters than if they do not," Bushman said."

http://ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=3191

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 08:11AM

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 08:47AM

My mom was at my house yesterday, and I played that hot sauce and cold shower video for her... She's and Ex Mo too, just like me...

When that woman put the child in the shower, and the little boy was screaming... My mom just couldn't stand it. She got SOOOOO mad, lol. She said,

"You know what? You need to find that ugly b**ch's blog and send her a message that she needs to get drug out in the street and beat half to death for doing that sick sh**!! And I'll be glad to do it! How would she feel if someone threw her in a cold shower every time she stepped out of line! Nasty, lazy, abusive, good-for-nothing b**ch!"

LOL I love my mom :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 08:47AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: olive ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 04:59PM

I was able to make it to the hot sauce but once the boy was in the shower screaming I had tears in my eyes and had to stop. That "mom" is despicable. I try my hardest not to judge others parenting styles as its a personal thing but one of the things I can't stand is over-punishing (don't know if that's a word but you know what I mean). Obviously this happens to this kid enough that he knows he's getting hot sauce and a cold shower to the point where he's lying to his mom. It's not correcting behavior. That woman should be ashamed of herself.

Now excuse me while I go hug and kiss my little boy.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 05:52PM

God forgive me, but right now, I want her to be hurt as badly as she hurt that little boy.

I know that's a bad, wrong reaction, but there are tears in my eyes, and I can't help feeling this way about her.

Posted by: Memes ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 06:47PM

Its a dirty little secret in Utah that this behavior is not only ignored, it is encouraged. All of my friends were treated like this (in Utah growing up.) This is SOP. I had it a little tougher with severe, violent beatings, various things broken on my body, being fed soap for disagreeing with my parents and eventually just outright brawls. My home life was insane and I never knew it until I got away.

Bishops just ignore this behavior and the pleas for help by the children. DCFS in Utah is also of the same mindset, the children belong to the parents so they attempt to reunite the family at all costs. Parents are rarely if ever charged for beating their children unless the kids are left black and blue and bleeding. The same goes for domestic violence. The system is structured to turn the other way as abusers beat their property/ ahem families.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 06:59PM

In 1980, my happy and popular oldest son was selected out of class at Geneva Elementary, Orem UT, for some infraction, and the principal took it upon himself to beat him with a paddle.

I went to him later, and gently explained that as a family we were trying to raise our kids without corporal punishment. While he seemed surprised that anyone would attempt such a thing, he agreed to lay off our boy, so that was cool...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.