Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 06:39PM

It is my nieces baptism soon and my bro asked me if I could come to it. I told him I should be able to make it. He said that she is super excited for it. Anyways, I think I am just going to say congradulations to her and nothing really more. She knows I don't go to church anymore so I am sure she will be a little confused about me. What do you all do in these situations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 07:21PM

Just because your niece believes in it today doesn't mean it will hold her forever. I was really disappointed at mine. I expected to feel differently after I got dunked. I expected to feel something when I was "gifted" with the holy spirit. I really questioned why I felt the same. She probably will too. I think most kids do.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 10:22PM

Give her a gift, tell she is getting so big and you are proud of her. If she asks you why you don't go to church, tell her you have other beliefs and when she is grown up you will discuss it with her if she likes. She probably won't say much.She knows everyone isn't Mormon unless she is totally isolated.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 05:46PM

I agree. Please do go. Please do give her a gift. Please show her that exmos are as loving as Mormons pretend to be.

I had the same problem as vhainya. I expected to feel differently after I was baptized and confirmed. Nada. Then when I got older I realized what the baptism really meant and was supposed to symbolize and I was pretty much wrecked over it. I used to wish that I could have been baptized over as a teen or something...just when I got over that and rationalized it was part of the process, along came the temple...

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 06:28PM

Your plan sounds good. A simple congratulations is all that is needed on your part if you do go. If gifts are given for others in this case do that too. Nothing of the Mormon religious variety of course.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.