Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Littlewing ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 01:58PM

Hey everyone! Another post from me...The other day I was talking to my mom about the church and how some of it has always sounded crazy to me. And she said this " I am most grateful for my great great grandfather Joe ______ for letting the missionaries into his home." And I said the following "Well mom the church wasn't the same back then was it? I mean they didn't have as much information on it and things have changed throughout the years." She got kinda mad. My family comes from the mountains of eastern Kentucky (think of the movie Coal Miners Daughter..lol) ...the missionaries came through a couple times a year... needless to say they didn't have the means to get to a temple (no one in my family has been sealed in the temple til after 1980). So...they didn't have knowledge about the temple ceremonies, etc. I have several great aunts and uncles on that side who never were baptized ..there wasn't even a church anywhere near the town (I am wondering if they had to pay tithing??). So what are your thoughts on this? What are some more significant changes that have happened in the church (doctorine, ceremonies, etc.) I just know of a few.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 05:20PM

The temple ceremony itself was changed in 1990.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 10:03AM

Because my father did struggle with smoking and such, he was relegated to the "senior Aaronic Priesthood," but was allowed full participation. Back then, the senior Aaronics blessed the sacrament for junior Sunday school, had their own quorum and their own activities. This kept "struggling" members engaged. Senior Aaronics only advanced, it seemed, by attrition, and then became elders and sent off to the temple and such.

Some a$$hole came along and changed all that. Since that day, adults who "struggle" with things like WoW problems and what have you are marginalized and made to feel inadequate. This was a remarkable change. They also re-arranged all the church programs. No more junior Sunday school also meant that the senior Aaronics would have no more place to "minister" or indeed have anything to which they could aspire. Now it's elder or nothing. Those with problems have nothing. Way to shoot yourselves in the collective foot, Mormon leadership dudes!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 12:42PM

find ways to support themselves along the way. I'd like to see them try that now.

The word of wisdom wasn't really noticed in the beginning. JS had a bar installed in the lobby of a big house the church built for him. Brigham Young built a brewery.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.