Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NoName ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 11:18PM

I started dating this great guy--college educated, nice, smart, has a job and looking to go back for his MBA. I waited to tell my parents until after a few months.

I told my mother tonight and she was neither happy nor mad--just took it like it was nothing--nothing. Actually, she said she wanted more for me. I know what she meant--she knew he wasn't mormon even though I didn't tell her. I told her that what she wanted for me wasn't what I wanted for myself. I refused to elaborate, I don't need anymore contention between myself and her so I will say it here--

I don't want to marry a mormon guy, and I don't want to go through the temple. So there!

I am a much happier and more confident woman now that the gospel is out of my life. I can think for myself without feeling like I have to defend something I don't believe in. I can be me and believe what I want and do what I want. So novel!

I suppose confronting family about the specifics of your disbelief is bad, so I will continue to bite my tongue. Though I fear it may fall off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 02:10AM

I say go and get what you deserve! A man that loves you for you and not as just the first one in this life to be added to in the next supposed life. If you don’t think that LDS men think that way then think again! Forty years in the church I know what I’m talking about.

You cannot control the disappointment of your mother nor can you live her dreams. Her dreams for you are based in her personal selfishness. She gets a feather in the fictitious CK if you toe the line. It’s the fakest form of love and is in fact conditional and therefore selfish.

Best to not talk about it yet stand your ground when needed. That can be a tall order at times.

Like water off a ducks back never ever let these kinds of things “stick” to you. It will only drag you down.
See some on you, a little flick of the wing and its gone.

Don’t let family determine your dreams! Old Chinese proverb “Keep your goals away from the trolls”.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.