Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 03:40PM

I just came back from a trip recently and we stayed in a big city. I told my parents we were out all hours of the night and that it actually felt really safe. Nothing bad happened to us on our vacation. Anyways, my mom then pipes in and says well that is because I was praying for you. All I did was snicker and said "ok..." I wanted to say well I guess people that don't have Moms praying for them must get robbed or killed all the time then. It was of just made her upset but I don't like her pushing her religious crap on me anymore. I was in their house and the rule is I can't talk bad or make fun of the church while I am in their house but I think I need to say to them that they can't say stuff like "I was praying for you and that is why this happened."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 03:48PM

You pray for me, and I'll think for you.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 03:50PM

Once someone (a relative) made a similar comment to me. I said something like, "Well, since you have God's ear, maybe you could spend some time praying for a cure for cancer or for people who actually need help. I wasn't really in danger. You don't seem to be using your super powers very wisely."

After that, the person never made stupid comments about religion in front of me again. If your mom was provoking you, she just might get a little jab back. I admire your self restraint.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 03:57PM

That is a great line and maybe I will use it someday. I was just to tired for getting into the discussion cause I just got off the plane and the sister missionaries were there when my Mom made the comment.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 04:01PM

I like that..."Since you have God's ear"....I'd say that..."Since you have God's ear perhaps you could ask God to forgive all the Mormons who shun their kids who decide Mormonism isn't for them, who don't marry in the temple or who marry nonmormons, or who make people in the bride and groom's life wait outside the temple because in the LDS faith they are not worthy." Now that would be something to pray for.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 04:29PM

My dad wants to start a business. He is getting old and I think he's worried about my youngest sibs who are in their 30s but never left the nest. They have almost no survival skills and are stunted by arrested development. So we were talking ideas because I kind of like a small business idea. Dad kept working in stories from the book of mormon or things he heard at a fireside from that Skosen freak. It was hard to keep the conversation going so my never Mo husband makes up a reason to excuse ourselves. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

The good news there was no crazy Thankgiving day beatdown yesterday about being ashamed for not appreciating the TRUE meaning of the holiday. Even the blessing on the food was appropriately not painful. We enjoyed most of the time at my parents house yesterday. It bugs me when they do that stuff because you know its got a little bit of passive aggression behind it. The type of meaness that has successfully been used to control my youngest sibs.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 04:34PM

Ask her if she thinks God let Mitchell kidnap Elizabeth Smart because her parents were slacking on on their prayer duties.

Ask her if the reason JS had so many of his young children die was because he was a slacker when it came to prayer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 04:47PM

Mothers pray for kids who are injured and die in spite of it, and kids are usually safe with or without motherly prayers.

Safety depends on 1, making good decisions, and 2, luck. Prayers? They're only for the sake of believers, and I think it's rude to pray for people who don't want to be involved in such rituals. So the least a person can do is not mention it if they're praying for someone they know does not want the involvement.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.