Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 11:34PM

The way I learn, I need things presented at least a few times, close together, before I can really learn/memorize things.

I think the process of going through the temple would be very overwhelming to me and I can't imagine I'd memorize it all.

And then I'm sure I'd go home and stress about not knowing them and not being able to remember them. And then you can't talk to anyone about it...

So- did you memorize them? Stress out about it? Just hope it would come back to you when you go to the Big Old Veil in the sky?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 11:45PM

I stressed about it and tried to memorize everything. As a back-up plan, I hoped that there would be old-lady angels in heaven to prompt me like the temple workers in the temple.

Now that I've been a parent for almost 17 years, I'm trying to imagine under what conditions I would eternally banish my child from my presence if she couldn't memorize a bunch of random phrases and handshakes. Is that some kind of sick joke? What was I thinking back then?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 11:44AM

SO many things about mormonism now make me wonder where my brain was. This is one of the best examples. It really was a sick joke if you think about it. WWMB (where was my brain?)

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 11:50PM

I was a veil worker in the Mesa Temple. So yep. I knew it by memory. The whole thing.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 12:16AM

Have you written much about being a temple worker? I'd love to hear what it's like. Did you get bored? Did you have questions? What funny/sad/strange things did you see?

Date: November 27, 2010 12:21AM

No, haven't really written much about it. I rite on other topics which takes up my time.

Yes, the endowment got tiring. There were some days it was hard to stay awake. At the veil it was busy so wasn't boring.

I'm multilingual and I actually found errors in the Navajo version of the veil ceremony. I went thru and detailed the problems but do not know if they were ever fixed. I suggested changes.

Posted by: zulu1 ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 11:53PM

and I believe I can still recite most them. "What is wanted" ; "I Adam having been found worthy wish to converse with the Lord through the Veil." and so forth. I'll cut to the chase--after being asked the final question you say..."the sure sign of the nail...yada yada...health in the navel, marrow in the bones, (oh, and strength in the loins and the sinews) power in the priesthood be upon me and my prosperity throughout all time and eternity...etc. etc. etc. What a fucking power trip! Come on, worlds without end? Endless power? Eternal dominion over a harem of women? Geeeez...I am a man and this does not appeal to me at all. I look back and scratch my head at all of it. Guess it wasn't my fault as I was born into it, but it did take 22 years of my life to recognize the problem (Thank GOD I did...and I don't even believe in God).

Date: November 27, 2010 12:24AM

Adam, having been true and faithful in all things, desires further light and knowledge, by conversing with the Lord, through the Veil.

Then after the second token of the Melchesidek priesthood, the patriarchal grip or sure sign of the nail: Health in the navel, marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and in the sinews, power in the Priesthood be upon me, and upon my posterity through all generations of time, and throughout all eternity.

Posted by: zulu1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:28AM

and more accurate...POSTERITY (I stand corrected) and since more than 20 years have passed I have forgotten parts of the script, to be sure. What a trip...I went to the temple over and over thinking this was actually important. I also wanted to curry favor with a woman I wanted to marry. I did marry her and we left together. Well--20 years later we are SO THANKFUL to be out of this CULT. We can laugh at all of this. Scary that we actually believed and wanted to follow this path...VERY scary indeed!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 12:29AM

Yep. I knew it all. Probably could still remember it if I wanted to. But then I've always had a bizarre memory like that. Things just stick in there, and I can't get them out again, until it gets really crowded in my head. LOL I have a very busy brain. Way too busy for my liking.

Posted by: Mike ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:23AM

I did, as a veil worker in at Oakland Templo.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:28AM

Before I went through the temple for the first time I thought you had to memorize it before they would let you leave. I did memorize it and could recite it right now. So grateful I will never have to again.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:44AM

I figured God would restore my memory when I died and it would all come back to me. Despite not trying to memorize the signs and tokens, I remembered enough to show my teen/pre-teen kids when I modeled my veil/apron/sash getup for them.

A nice little serving of meat before milk for the children ... that should do the trick. ;D

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:46AM

Nope. And I ALWAYS forgot the new name....mostly to piss people off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 01:47AM by silhouette.

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 07:23AM

The whole veil script is written down on laminated pages kept in the temple office. I was given an hour and a quiet room to get it down.

I rehearsed it weekly on my own, every sunday. I would repeat it in my mind, not moving my lips or tongue, because I thought that outside the temple satan could read my lips and know what I was up to.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 08:39AM

The temple ceremonies are no secret anymore, that's for sure, lol. Most of the details are written out here (comparing the pre and post 1990 versions):

http://www.lds-mormon.com/compare.shtml

Then the handshakes in a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Z3YSRogyo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 08:39AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: JBryan (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 11:33AM

Yes, I became a veil worker just so I would not have to sit and wait my turn to do the BS at the veil.

It became like working in a factory on a line. "Tap, tap, tap...what is wanted? Adam, having been true and faithful in all things desires further light and knowledge by conversing with the Lord through the veil for and in behalf of Blah Blah who is dead. Present him at the veil and his request shall be granted...but let's make it interesting. Everytime I say "what is that" you take a shot of vodka...okay?"

I like the guys and gals on the other side who had it memorized. It was a rapid fire response and they got through the veil quickly.

My knowledge of the veil ceremony impresses people that I work with when I do it rapid fire. Always good for a laugh.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 11:48AM

It made no sense to me that our ability to get into heaven would depend upon our memorization skills!

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:22PM

...I've been out for almost 15 years and can still recite everything verbatim; that's how much I attended the temple ceremony.

My ex-husband and I used to have a contest to see who could get through the veil quicker. I usually made it first since the veil workers on the female side seemed a little quicker than the one's on the men's side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 08:44PM by toto.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 04:50PM

Nope--never memorized them. Made it through 4 or 5 endowments. I actually have a very good memory--memorization was how I did really well in school, but I couldn't memorize all that bull.

I was always the LAST one through the veil of anyone who went through a session.

I am not a person who likes "attention"--I hated taking drama and speech classes. To me, the endowment was nothing but a bunch of acting out some bizarre ritual in front of a bunch of old biddies so they could berate you for tying your sash imperfectly. I thought the temple would be a place I could meditate, enjoy the "spirit"--but it was more a place to be put on display and to come up wanting.

I hated the place. AND, yes, I thought I had to memorize it all.

I always thought it was bizarre, but seeing the temple scene on Big Love really blew my mind--since I haven't been to the temple in over 20 years. I can't believe I DID THAT?!?! And I though the prayer circle was the most bizarre of all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.