Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:00PM

It appears my ex-husband has selective memory. He remembers that we were always told not to put off having children, and not to limit how many kids you have. But he doesn't remember being told that mormon families needed to have lots of kids so that Heavenly Father's spirit children could go to good LDS families rather than the alternative. Apparently that alternative would be "gentile" families, maybe even heathens or evil apostates, and we can't be havin' that now, can we!?!

Anyone else remember that? Seems to me that many of those children "blessed" to go to mormon families would have been better off with some atheistic heathens I know.

TG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:09PM

"'There are multitudes of pure and holy spirits waiting to take tabernacles, now what is our duty?--To prepare tabernacles for them; to take a course that will not tend to drive those spirits into the families of the wicked, where they will be trained in wickedness, debauchery, and every species of crime. It is the duty of every righteous man and woman to prepare tabernacles for all the spirits they can' (Discourses of Brigham Young, p. 197)."

http://institute.lds.org/manuals/eternal-marriage-student-manual/u-w-women-3.asp

http://emp.byui.edu/WILLIAMSG/Talks/etb_tothemothers.htm

"Well, isn't that special!" ; )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2010 10:57AM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:19PM

I remember being taught that the extra valiant spirits in the pre-existance got rewarded for it by being born BIC.
If that's the case why would God "drive those spirits into the families of the wicked, where they will be trained in wickedness debauchery, and every species of crime."?

Posted by: thebrotherofshiz ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:25PM

yeah, wouldn't you expect the valiant to be sent to the difficult situations and families and the less valiant sent to the greatest of Mormon families to help them have a better chance at making it back?

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 06:39PM

Apparently its a test and a way to teach as well all this earth busniss.

I dont like that explanation because it's like throwing people in the deep end to teach them how to swim for thair swimming test which will ether let them swim in the ocen or be confighned to showsers for life.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 07:14PM

Thats what pushed me to finaly go inactive. I got a very good look at my best future. Our teacher for young womens told us how she was so sad she didnt know if she was keeping this lot of commandments. She was crying about not haveng enough kids. She lived in a council house with more kids than spaces to put them and thair stuff was falling to bits. She was sick and on medication most of the time and yet she still wanted to bring more into this life. There were times she coudnt pick me up on a sunday because the minivan was already full of kids.

Thats when I realised that something wasnt right to the point I felt it was to much for me. She was killing herself for a church that wasnt able to help her. I wonderd if her kids had enough food I know when i was little there were many times when I went hungry. I coudnt take that life and I woudnt want that life for my future kids I needed to brake the cycle.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:25PM

"Special" indeed. What a load of garbage! Do they not know of reproduction and how that all occurs. If two drunks do it in the alley and it is the right time, a baby will be made. So that spirit child is going to be evil from day one??? Hopefully it will be healthy and the two drunks will clean up their acts. But some Mormon man or woman who can't take care of three kids right now is having the 10th child....and all is going to be swell. Numbers....that is all it is. Has nothing to do with spirit babies wanting a body.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:40PM

They said it was so waiting spirits could have the oppourtunity to be born in a righteous home where they would be taught the only TRUE Gospel.

So if that is true than I was born and left an orphan because some righteous mormon family decided not to have another child.

Crazy eh?

Oh wait, they told me I was born an orphan because I wasn't valiant enough in the pre-exsitence

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:45PM

But one of the things I was told was that the LDS was destine to dominate the earth. To do that the LDS needed as many members as possible. One way to get the numbers they needed was to convert others, so every member was a missionary, the other was to marry and have lots of kids.

I remember this because it freaked me out that they were talking in terms of world domination.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 05:45PM

Yeah and my temple married mom abanded me when I was 5-along with my 3 siblings. To be raised by our absent,abusive father.
And how about the woman on Dr. Phil? She is also temple worthy.

I was told my whole life there were all these spirits just waiting to be born into righteous lds families. What is the divorce rate among mormons? Is it the same as the general population?

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 03:48PM

I remember being taught all my life, that God COMMANDED us to multiply and replenish the earth, and that there were elite heavenly spirit children just waiting to come down to earth, who will choose me and my caucasian BYU returned missionary temple husband as their parents.

Yea--I must obey this commandment, lest those spirits end up in a Catholic family and raised in the Great and Abominable Church. Horrors! Yet another guilt trip/threat to coerce Mormons to obey--and at such a huge price.

I was telling a TBM cousin about my TBM daughter's miscarriages, and I said, "She and her husband really want to have children..."

My cousin interjected, "Not only that, it's their RESPONSIBILITY to have children."

Losing a pregnancy is hard enough, without the added guilt and pressure of the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 03:51PM by forestpal.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 05:31PM

With the Morg, it is ALL about $$$$$$$.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 04:59PM

Thanks to moronism, this has been the guiding rationale for my DW's whole adult life.

damm cult...

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 05:25PM

And I do know people who have had a dozen children as a result of it, even at the risk of the mother's life. My BIL's sister had to be told by a TBM doctor that it was okay if she didn't have anymore children. After having like 10, she had done her part.

And to think that I actually used to think I was one of the valiant ones in the pre-existence...that's so freaking twisted!

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 05:37PM

Did anyone out there see 'Autism x 6' a few days ago? It is about a mormon family in SLC that has 6 disabled kids. The kids are way messed up. so my question is simply 'Who's gonna support these future non tithe payers when the parents "kick"? The house was horrid, and NO sheets on their beds...ripped up drywall, and feces on the floor... For me there is NO way I could handle all that. So how many more is she gonna pop out for the sake of LD$ inc,.? wonder if they pay a full tithe?

Date: November 28, 2010 06:29PM

We don't usually talk religion but I want him to know that, indeed, we were taught that. He's TBM and purposely keeps his head in the sand in regards to "anti" stuff.

TG

Date: November 28, 2010 06:30PM

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 06:54PM

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 06:32PM

Some people try to follow that dictum and misery is their reward.
Suckers buy into it but even most TBMs know better by now.

Moreover, common sense should tell you that if there are that many spirits waiting to be borm God needs to start wearing a freaking CONDOM.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 28, 2010 06:39PM

Fortunately they didn't work and she was able to stop at 7. A convert family in her ward had a family member post on this board. Eventually the whole family left, thanks in part to some really crazy testimony from this very person.

Remember the benson cartoon of an African family standing outside a dwelling consistent with their locale? The bemused dad is holding a white baby with a bow stuck to her head in his arms and saying "she doesn't look like anyone from my side of the family!"

Posted by: fifteensixty ( )
Date: November 29, 2010 08:42AM

After our temple marriage we were told to accept all the blessings HF sent our way. Nine months later a daughter, 2 years later a son, 18 months later a daughter. Then my boy father left. Married again a daughter, miscarried twin boys, miscarried a daughter, infertile for a decade (i believed i must be doing something terrible for God not to be sending babies). Then a living daughter, and finally at 43 a later miscarriage.
Even after all that I felt guilty I was not producing and a failure. I sought fertility treatments but was rejected because of my age. But the trauma of trying to produce a perfect football team (like two of my friends), one even had 15, moveover Duggars. The church women of the 60- 90s suffered it was not if but how many. I felt like baby fodder and with each failed pregnancy I wondered what I had done wrong to offend God. Yes, we were blackmailed, pushed around, without even knowing it. If only I had gone down the Matrix and taken the pill. Footnote, love my surviving children to death but it was all so hard and it was definitely driven by the Morg for future generations of leaders and a lots of cash.

Posted by: Holly ( )
Date: November 29, 2010 10:12AM

Soooooooo how come Glenn Beck only has FOUR total children (and only 2 with current wife), Cody Allan has three, Amy Freeze (meteorologist) has three children, Scott Alexander a member of Diswalla has only 4 children, Jay Osmond has only three sons, Wilford Brimley the actor has 3 children, AJ Cook (a devout mormon and actress) has one child even though she's been married for 9 years!

I could go on,,,,,,,makes me wonder if "stars" get a free pass on having a dozen because they donate so much money and naturally, having a dozen children would get in the way of their money making careers.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 29, 2010 10:34AM

This was in the 1970s. I remember them coming home all a-glow from talking to some Mormon priesthood leader who told them that there are "spirits waiting in heaven." Well, my parents couldn't have any more children after me. So, I would ask how spirit children could be waiting in heaven for our family if my parents had to adopt them. My mother would say that this is how they would come to us.

My father was told the "spirits waiting in heaven" gag in his patriarchal blessing that he received in his 30s. (He was a convert.) Another time, they were told it by a stake president. Each time, they would hustle to get ready for another one. My mother was so embarrassed by her inability to bear children and need to adopt in order to conform to this apparently uninspired edict that we picked up and moved halfway across the country once to avoid what she thought were disapproving eyes.

My parents just did not have the personality or the means to raise more than about three kids. I think it's criminal the kinds of lies the Mormon church told its believing members just to increase its membership numbers. The way they pushed people to have too many children has destroyed a lot of lives.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 29, 2010 12:22PM

I got brainwashed with "You must have as many children as you can because they are all waiting in Heaven. If you don't have them, your children will be born to other people who may abuse them."
Evil cult.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: November 29, 2010 12:36PM

My TBM wife and I can no longer have children because of an immunological issue. We have three beautiful daughters and no real desire for more children. Despite being in our 40's we are still harassed by members that want to know why we don't have more children.

In our ward (small college town) there is a family who arrived with two boys, dad starting grad school, and a typically uneducated mommy house frau. Not wanting to fail the morg they got pregnant and brought twins into their family. Unfortunately, they are unable to afford these children and require monthly assistance with food, sundries, and bills which the rest of the ward must supply through fast offerings. Of course, seeing their predicament they did the rational thing and got pregnant again. 5 kids, dad in school, mom buried under her "motherly" obligations. They are why we no longer pay FO.

Posted by: Really?! ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:06AM

I was taught this growing up as well. I only have 1, and we used to get harassed all the time as to when we're going to have more. We used to politely say something like "we're thinking about it", but they seem to have gotten the hint and laid off. I'm just waiting for someone to ask me again; whether it's true or not, I'm gonna tell them "I can't have anymore, but thanks for bringing up that painful subject!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.