Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: esther ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 01:13AM

I watched Hunger Games tonight... in it this sentence is said "hope... the only thing stronger than fear." It suddenly hit me harder than any of the history and deceit of the church... this is EXACTLY how the mormon church survives. They instill fear into their members by telling them they can only be together forever if they follow what the church tells them to, then they make everything sound beautiful and perfect by giving them hope. Their way is the only way...

I have been studying for months now desperately looking for something that will make this nightmare go away... my whole life has been a lie. Tonight I am done. I now know it has been a lie. It is time to take the steps to rid myself of the mormon disease so I can move on to a much more enlightened life. It starts with finalizing my divorce to a man who has also lied and deceived me our entire marriage. I will no longer play the fool...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 02:11AM

Hope is a starvation diet. You need to do, not hope.

Posted by: Reaching out ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 05:36AM

Hi there! I too saw Hunger Games and posted this quote as my FB status. I then googled when I got home and your post was first. Now reading your post I must say that I have several friends that are Ex Mormans. I can't tell you that I believe in organized religion or religion for that matter but your post made me smile. Stay strong. Don't just say these words...ACT on them. You go girl!!

Posted by: esther ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:28AM

A few years ago I attended a training where the speaker repeatedly said that, untarded. "Hope is a starvation diet. You need to do, not hope." I completely agree with you.

Not long after the training was over I was watching the next GC and Uchtdorf's talk was on Hope. The whole time he was speaking I wanted to turn the TV off because his talk "felt" so wrong. However, I noticed over the next few years I began being more receptive to these kinds of talks again. It is brainwashing and it is conditioning. You start pulling yourself out of their mind set but if you give them too much power over your life they will take your mind back.

I am done with the church. I know I am still going to have my up and down days especially as I start dealing with my family, but I have this forum to come to along with a few non-member friends who have definitely stepped up to be there for me through this transition. I have to get my divorce with my husband completed first. It is taking up most of my thoughts and time and until that is done I don't feel I can give leaving the church my full attention. However, I will not be going to church and I will not engage in any conversations with any authoritive figures. They have tried and I have told them no.

I am not weak even though at times I feel like I am. I know God is out there and He is the one who has lead me to all these findings. I am going to continue to find my support from the ones who have been there and when the time comes I will hand over my resignation!!! And I can't wait!

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 09:57AM

I attended a group training and we got the 'hope' lecture as well.

The Good Ship Hope is in drydock and ain't never goin' anywhere.

"THERE IS NO HOPE".

Faith and Hope are among the 'booby prizes' of life.

Posted by: csulbgm99 ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 02:51PM

I made that same decision 2 years ago. Let me tell you, it will be hard. You'll have times of intense guilt and loneliness. You'll question whether you did the right thing and be tempted to go back. But let me tell you, it was the best decision I've ever made. Happiness can only be achieved when you're true to yourself. No more pretending. No more feeling trapped. Don't feel angry at God, as he will give you the strenght to stand on your own. Best of luck to u

Posted by: me 2 ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 04:12PM

I just saw that movie tis past Friday, and when I heard that phrase it also struck me hard. There are some major changes I need to make in my life also. Divorce is the main one. I feel numb and over-whelmingly sad. I am not morman but my church teaches against divocre, I feel like I will fail myself and God if/when I do this. I am tired and need to do something fast. I feel stuck between if and when.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 12:25PM

Good for you!

Fear is definitely a strong motivator. I read somewhere that the two strongest motivators for humans are fear & greed. And usually with greed it is the fear of not getting what we want.

It sounds like you've got some big changes coming that won't be easy. However, looking back, you'll be glad you did.

P.S. Probably my favorite book of all time is Count of Monte Cristo - the long version does an excellent job of handling this theme. (The abridged version touches on it, but doesn't capture it as well.)

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: September 20, 2012 12:34PM

Change comes through action - the Dalai Lama

Posted by: Steve Doha ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 07:32AM

"The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
"Love is stronger than death".
"Fear is stronger than Love"...albeit an integral part of Love and Hate.
"Hope is stronger than Fear".
"Faith is stronger than Hope".
What do I have faith in?

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 09:52AM

Mormonism is a starvation diet.

Mo matter how much you pray,pay and obey you will never get what you want or need.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 25, 2013 10:33AM

esther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... this is
> EXACTLY how the mormon church survives. They instill fear into their members

Exactly.

- And they do it by labeling the finest attributes and wonders of what makes us human into "sin."

Posted by: xXxMormonMasterxXx ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 12:16PM

Hey man, this is not ok. Jesus is our lord and savior, and nothing the church tells you is a lie. Sure, my preist may have sinned when he grabbed me, but this is ok. If you would accept the relgion, then Jesus would forgive you for all of your sins. Even if you molest an 8 year old who is just trying to find his mother because he is lost and scared and.. oops! I began to ramble a bit. But in the religion of mormonism, I would be forgiven for rambling, similar to how I forgot Priest Joseph for his sins, Please, I beg you, come back to this great religion so that when Jesus is ressurected, we can all celebrate together.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.