Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 29, 2010 11:43PM

"Nearly all the great discoveries of men in the last half century have, in one way or another, either directly or indirectly, contributed to prove Joseph Smith to be a Prophet.

"As far back as 1837, I know that he said the moon was inhabited by men and women the same as this earth, and that they lived to a greater age than we do -- that they live generally to near the age of 1000 years.

"He described the men as averaging near six feet in height, and dressing quite uniformly in something near the Quaker style.

"In my Patriarchal blessing, given by the father of Joseph the Prophet, in Kirtland, 1837, I was told that I should preach the gospel before I was 21 years of age; that I should preach the gospel to the inhabitants upon the islands of the sea, and to the inhabitants of the moon, even the planet you can now behold with your eyes."

(The Young Woman's Journal, published by the Young Ladies' Mutual Improvement Associations of Zion, 1892, vol. 3, pp. 263-64)

Just another example of how people believed JS no matter how outrageous his claims were.

What do apologists say to this? Steven Gibson seems to have come up with a wonderful explanation: http://www.lightplanet.com/response/answers/moon.htm

"Another aspect of the matter needs to be considered. At the present time, man has no scientific or revealed knowledge of whether or not there are inhabitants on the earth's moon. The fact that a handful of astronauts didn't see any inhabitants in the tiny area they viewed when they landed on the moon decades ago certainly gives no definitive information, any more than visitors to earth who might land in barren Death Valley would have any idea of the billions of inhabitants elsewhere."

Yes, he published this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: November 29, 2010 11:57PM

Smith told a lie, that's all there is to it, regardless if the moon is inhabited or not. Whoever got the blessing obviously never
made it to the moon otherwise we'd never hear the end of it.

ST

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 30, 2010 01:59AM

The explanation being the nonsense offered in reply to JS's original crapola...

It beats the heck out of me who the original author is, but anyone who would believe something like this is basically hopeless.

Visitors to Earth would doubtless possess tools such as telescopes, cameras, and radio receivers that would divulge the presence of something beyond the Death Valley landscape; I read a reasonable bit of speculation that extra-terrestrial visitors might initially conclude that the automobile was this planet's dominant life form, but that's about it...

Joke stuff like this requires treatment as jokes...

Of course the really sophisticated apologists insist that there's no way there's proof Joseph Smith said something like this, that it's only the writings of one of his scribes.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 30, 2010 04:08AM

Stephen Gibson doesn't watch the news, I guess. We even examined everything with microscopes. A Mormon (don't know who) suggested that maybe life on the moon is microscopic, like the Who's in Horton Hears A Who, but they are 6 ft. tall Quakers. Maybe their cities are under the moon's polar region, and they are shy like Bigfoot.

Ha-ha-ha! Joseph Smith truly believed in one of his prophesies--the one in which the world was going to end soon. He didn't dream that civilization would progress long enough to disprove his ridiculous fantacies.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: November 30, 2010 04:54AM

I was told many many many years ago by an institute instructor that JS was a real jokester and was just messing around when he said that and that the Anti's have just taken what he said out of context...

It kept me quiet for a few decades...

Posted by: LonelyHusband ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 07:34PM

JS was a jokester? I guess I can see that, crazy sermons, invisible people, funny outfits, etc. In fact much of the early LDS history now makes perfect sense to me when you consider it an elaborate practical joke that just got out of hand...

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 30, 2010 07:13AM

Oh for Pete sake, these prophets are idiots. There are no inhabitants on the moon.

You see, the reason there are inhabitants on the earth, is because we have this lovely thing called an "atmosphere".

However, the dark side of the moon is far colder without an atmosphere than even the earth's polar ice caps. And in the day time, the moon is under the blistering rays of the unfiltered sun, which is far more harsh than earthly deserts.

To top it off, every 11 years, the sun shoots off a burst of extra radiation (a solar flare) when it reaches the peak of its cycle. The only thing keeping that radiation from knocking out all the earth's electronics for several years and/or frying us all to a crisp, is our atmosphere--- because it reflects most of the radiation away. It only lets in enough to allow life to thrive.

However, anything that is outside that atmosphere, WILL be burned up during a flare. We usually bring our space guys home before we know a flare is scheduled to hit. And even the ones who have to stay up there during a flare, they only survive because they are inside a space station that resists the extreme heat and cold from the outside.

Knowing this, its clear that there is no 6-foot Quaker Oatmeal man running around on the surface of the moon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 07:16AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 07:16PM

Good grief the mindset of those Mormons back then is so fucking hilarious!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 07:59PM

This guy's quotes are gems. What normal person would read this and not laugh?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.