Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 03:42PM

All Right,
I have decided to follow flyer's advice and write a book about my experience in the MTC. I do not know how far I will get with it, and I do not care. Writing is one of the things I am really good at, and I want to tell my story in it's entirity. When I am done I will post the draft on here some how for anyone who wants to read it. Thanks flyer for the inspiration, and thanks everyone else for your support.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 04:12PM

That is great. All should know what goes on there. All should know how one begins to prepare for this nightmare at age 2 or earlier and all should know the pressure put on you by family. I wish you all the best. It should be quite a story!

Posted by: paintinginthwin ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 05:11PM

That's a GREAT idea! Have you gotten started yet? Remember some of the situations. . . you or you saw others get into? Some of the words or statements ringing in your mind?
Just LIST them.

Got any images in your head of what you saw when this was going on? Images of surreal scenes? Images of home sickness or retribution or isolation or hijinks & fun ? images of people standing somewhere? List them- later describe.

got any sounds you can still hear? sounds that stick in memory? sounds that just don't make sense or words that don't ring very true? List them.
Later working off your list- fill em out. See what you get.

Then its easier to start & possibly decide, AFTER the listing.
Intially it'll be your factual statement, an expose. Later, possibly under another pen name to distinguish it-
It might be two or three books, or a series like sci fi set in another planet or time, or a fantasy of a dark school sort of like Hogwarts gone bad with very very low expectations.

Posted by: foolserrand2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 05:15PM

I would love to read any book detailing real experiences in the MTC that aren't "church sanctioned". I look forward to reading it when you are ready to post!

Posted by: Yewt102 ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 06:33PM

haha... you should try pitching it to deseret book

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:03PM

explaining how it felt. My suggestion is that you tell stories, relate in detail what happened, then your readers will have the emotion that you want to express. Show, instead of tell.

Can't wait to read it; I am a big book buyer!

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:23PM

I'm dying to read it, since that's a Mormon experience I've never had. But I've been in jail, if that's comparable, and I could write a book about the injustices that go on in that place!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.