Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NVE ( )
Date: November 30, 2010 07:18PM

I keep noticing daft coincidences in the names in the Book of mormon. Has anyone else noticed this.

for example:

SIRON among the borders of the Lamanites, after the harlot ISABEL Alma 39;4 Yea, she did steal away the hearts of many

SIRON - SIREN
ISABEL - JEZEBEL

In Greek mythology, the Sirens were three dangerous bird-women, portrayed as seductresses who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.

In Christian tradition, a comparison to Jezebel suggested that a person was a pagan or an apostate masquerading as a servant of God. By manipulation and/or seduction, she misled the saints of God into sins of idolatry and sexual immorality, sending them to hell. In particular, Jezebel has come to be associated with promiscuity. In modern usage, the name of Jezebel is sometimes used as a synonym for sexually promiscuous and sometimes controlling women

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 30, 2010 10:41PM

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 03:06AM

Very interesting.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 10:38PM

That's a good one. Better point it out to Boyd Packer, he loves the Harlot Isabel story.

The title is a good point. So much of this stuff seems so clear and obvious after being out awhile. Makes me wonder how it ever seemed like such a maze to get out.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 11:27PM

Every once in a while, there's speculation on whether there's a Nephi - Nephilum connection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilum

Posted by: NVE ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 03:03AM

Yes are you referring to the coincidence that they are both large in stature?

Joseph or whoever liked to take a name and chop off the odd letter and or switch them about a bit.

It is quite easy to believe that names from a that book you constantly read over 20+ years of your early life and their associated stories, would embed into your sub-conscious mind.

Here's another example where Joseph Smith couldn't really be bothered to make stuff up:

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, (Daniel 3)cast into furnace because they would not worship another god.

three nephite immortals - cast into furnace and animal pits because they wouldn't deny the Christ. - (4Ne 30&32.)

the next verse 4Ne 33 is a total Daniel 6:16/Isaiah 11:6-8 mash up coincidence. With children and lambs and lions

What are the chances of all that being in the same story. on two separate continents.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:37PM

And Isabel is Lebasi spelled backwards.

Ron

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:49PM

Gidgiddoni
Cincinnati

Looks to me like old Joe just substituted G for C, etc.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:06PM

The one that makes me really shake my head I found in one of my ancestors journals. Basically he was given a sh!tty plot of land, lots of rocks not good for growing anything but JS told him it was where Adam and Eve dwelt after leaving Eden.

Adam-ondi-Ahmen

According to my ancestor, this area was previously known as Diahmen county, I tried googling it, but no luck.

Just simply lazy. If they'd been in dumba$$ county, JS would have called it Adam-ondu-mass.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:08PM

Remember all the secret names JS gave them? What were those again?

Early in mohistory, the members would move to a new area and try to hide their identity by using assumed names. They took LDS and moved one letter down the alphabet and disregarding vowels, came up with

MOFFAT, a common name in Utah today. It means

L-DD-S

There were other similar codes resulting in the queer last names you find in Utah.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.