Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 08:09PM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was told that Spencer W. Kimball was intentionally what George Lucas intended Yoda to look like. I learned this in seminary among many, many other fabricated testimony-building stories. One version said it was the spirit subconsciously spreading the word of God through Star Wars. Another version claimed Lucas had been taking the missionary discussions and was going to be baptised soon (we don't know when but soon).

What is your favorite stupid faith-promoting Mormon myth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 08:16PM

I remember that. Stuart Freeborn, the man who designed Yoda, said that he created him to look like himself. If you google him, you can find photos of the two together. There's a resemblance. He also said that he used the eyes of Albert Einstein as the inspiration for Yoda's eyes.

Stupid cult. It's all about mormonism, isn't it. Well, according to them, at least.

TG

Posted by: Oxymormon ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 08:32PM

When I was on my mission, it was rumored that Annie Lennox had had a first discussion and it's what inspired their hit "Missionary Man"

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 09:14PM

Ms Lennox is smarter than that.

Next someone will be saying that she had a first discussion presented to her by one of more of the three Nephites.

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 09:18PM

... the temple presidents concerned at lights on in the temple very late or early into the morning.

About to get dressed and investigate only for the Holy Ghost to inform them (How, I don't know) that "the Saviour is working in the Temple tonight"

Bet he wasn't cleaning their toilets!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 11:13PM

If Jesus does his transporter thing and drops into the temple... and then he flips on the light switch... and the light goes "ping" and burns out, does Jesus:

a: go looking for a lightbulb
b: just work in the dark 'cuz he's God
c: find some rocks or such, and touch them with his finger to make them glow
d: do the burning bush thing
e: head on back to the planet near Kolob mumbling about a wasted trip
f: other

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 09:30PM

I recall this one about a 14 yr old boy that saw the Father and the Son and later found gold plates.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 11:02PM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 09:39PM

When I was a kid there was an elaborate Three Nephites story going around. I only remember that it had to do with a newspaper being handed to someone that had an impossibly recent date due to the length of time that travel took at that time. So supposedly it was handed over by one of the Three Nephites.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 10:54PM

That isn't it at all: the truth is that Lucas wanted Yoda to SOUND like Spence. And he succeeded. Hahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 12:58AM

I used to be one of those guys who believed every Mormon rumor that came through the mill. Then again, I only half listened in Testimony, so every time someone told a friend of a friend story, I thought they were saying it happened to them first hand. If I hadn't napped through sacrament meeting, I probably would have left the church years earlier.

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 12:55PM

I heard on a few separate occasions that the U2 song "One" was inspired by a Mormon girlfriend of Bono...who wouldn't put out and wanted to be married in the temple...

"You say love is a temple,
love a higher law,
You ask me to enter
but then you make me crawl."

I also heard on my mission that one of Shakira's Spanish songs was inspired by an Elder she was in love with...although I can't remember which song of hers it was...

Then there was that Bruce Willis was taking the discussions...

Steve Martin was a member...which is technically true...I have a friend named Steve Martin who is a member, but its not the actor which the rumor is based on.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 12:59PM

My favorite has always been, "Did you know that (put in the famous name) is a Mormon?" Or "Did you hear that (put in the famous name) is taking the discussions?" (While sometimes it is true--it is most of the time not true)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 12:59PM by sam.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 08:59PM

I've never heard that before, but I did have a more TBM friend who loved Star Wars (her and her family as well). I never understood TBM people's fascination and love of Star Wars. (She wasn't the only TBM I knew who loved it). Maybe this was why they all loved it?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 11:16PM

How do you explain the fact that Monson looks and talks like Micky Rooney? Eh? Who planned that?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 11:40PM

I remember someone telling it to me in complete seriousness. Hilarious. The other one I remember was that Lionel Ritchie was an elders quorum president. Where do these rumors come from? Has no one heard The Commodores?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiLAlTfdBuE

Next thing, people will be telling me that Gladys Knight joined the Church.

Posted by: RomaNord ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 12:03AM

Date: April 09, 2012 12:07AM

We can always turn the rumor back on the Mormons. Claim the guy who created Yoda was openly gay, and once met the prophet at a resort, where for a very special week, they seemed unusually close to each other.

The downside to this plan is that I actually respect the creators of all the Star Wars puppets, and wouldn't want their reputations damaged by suggesting they would debase themselves to hang out with a shady character like Kimball.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 02:24AM

Anyone ever hear the "free the birdies" story involving an out of body experience of a toddler crushed by a garage door?

Date: April 09, 2012 09:07AM

I hate that stupid story. It is almost as bad as the one about the guy who works the switches on the train tracks, back in the old days, who lets his small child get ran over, because it is the only way he can stop a train collision. Sorry folks on the train. That is my son, you are screwed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 09:09AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 12:42PM

Lol...I never heard the train story

I hate stories that are altered to make them faith promoting.

You would think that the people who change then would lose faith, knowing the truth doesn't promote it.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 03:22AM

Not forgetting the story of the launderette being burnt down, by missionaries shaking the dust off their feet, because the launderette displayed temple garments for all to see. Not sure about anywhere else but it seems every mission in the UK had that happen to it at one time.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 11:43AM

Shouldn't that make them angry that he thinks SWK looks like Yoda?
I mean, that must be some first rate ridicule right there...

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 11:43AM

Yeah, I remember the yoda/kimball myth. But by the time it reached us in eastern Canada, Lucas was a mormon he was not just taking the lesson ... hhhhmmmmm...remember the telephone game? ;-)

Posted by: bert ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 11:53AM

My absolute favorite - "You know the u2 song 'Where the Streets have no name' well it's about Utah. I can personallythink of 4 othe citys where numbers not names are used.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.