Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ray ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 09:54PM

I have heard that some high profile exmormons have been subject to surveilance and spying.Park Romney claimed he was followed by Mormon church security and he expressed that in a recent BBC documentary.

Who within the Mormon church directs these activities and where exactly are they directed from?Jeffery Holland claimed he knew nothing about all of this in the documentary.Surely the highest leaders must know if this is going on.How are espionage activities kept secret from other employees in the church office building in SLC?Can we know exacly what espionage actvities are engaged in by the church?Does the church security listen to private telephone communications and conversations of exmormons who are considered a threat to the church?How do they justify doing this?Who within the Mormon church knows exactly all that happens that is secretly sanctioned by the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 10:01PM

I was followed when I was a student at Westminster and was lining up a speaker - a gay former bishop. The reason I am so sure is that I was supporting myself by being a detective and I recognized the techniques the guy was using.

I thought it was amusing. He was very obvious. While sitting close by and listening to our conversation, he leaned back and stared into space. When I did that as part of my work, I would at least bring a book and pretend to be reading.

He chose his seat after I was seated and followed me in his car after I left. He was an amateur and I ditched him easily.

Anagrammy

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 10:25PM

Undoubtedly. Ironically, it just happened to me this evening. Sometimes, they are just digging to find out information, I believe.

I just pulled up to the house, and standing on the porch were two young elders chatting up my 17 year old son. We have lived in this neighborhood for a decade and it was hear that we left the church. They wanted to know when they could come by and share a message with us. Bold as bull bullocks the one said, "when can we come by and share a message with you?" Like as if I had already given my permission. I recognized the manipulative tactic from my time in the Missionary Tainting Center.

I said, "You can't" and the other one visibly jumped back.

"Is there anyone else in the area could share a message of our lord and savior Jesus Christ with?" My ten year old pointed across the street and told them to go over there. They are a strong TBM family, they faked like they headed that way but headed back to their car without visiting another house (which was hidden around the corner).

I'm pretty sure that my parents asked them to check on us, as they have many times in the past. In fact, my TBM parents, fromer bishop and big shot missionaries, have even had private dicks watch us and snoop (they have admitted it). My parents could just ask, but I'm not about to volunteer my religous beliefs to them based on their past behavior. They would rather sneak than ask, anyways.

It's a big part of LDS culture. Remember the PEC and welfare meetings and "come back and reports" -- they are snoopers by nature. Too bad prophesy is doesn't work, because they could just rely on that.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 10:30PM

They're freakin' crazy. They need to grow up and quit playing Dick Tracy.

When my friend decided to leave her husband, TBM that he was, he hooked up a baby monitor and put it under the bed so that he could listen to her talking to all of her friends, her lawyer, etc. He sat in the basement and listened to everything, trying to get any dirt he could on her, so that he could keep the kids.

When she went looking for a pen that had rolled under the bed, she discovered the baby monitor, turned on, and she went ballistic on him. Crazy TBMs.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 10:34PM

As a corporation with billions of dollars that can do pretty much as it wishes (blatantly lying for the Lord doesn’t raise eyebrows at all) I’m pretty sure that they would do whatever they wanted. And with unlimited money to spend on it, they could do a lot.

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 11:14PM

My friend spoke with John Heinerman, author of Mormon Corporate Empire. He told them of the time a car pulled up while he was on the street in SLC, the men in suits told him to get in and he was taken to the COB to be asked a few questions.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 09:11PM

The following is completely third hand stuff, just a personal account from a friend of mine.

He moved to Utah to get more into the church and to work, and was employed by a member-owned and operated company that published some kind of bound copies of genealogy materials and databases (This was early '90's). Apparently, TSCC wanted this company to cease business so they could have a monopoly on this type of publication and take possession of the intellectual property and copyrights. So they sent small groups of MIB's to harass and shadow the owner, tap the phones, and to enter the premises making threats and taking property.

The MIB's were spooklike, black suits, headsets, shades etc.

This was a real eye opener for my convert TBM friend, who lost much respect for TSCC and Utah from that point forward. He's since gone inactive.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 11:28PM

ray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard that some high profile exmormons have
> been subject to surveilance and spying.

I think that is just an occasional phenomenon.

If you really want to hear some interesting stories, get
hold of somebody from a Mormon family whose father was
assigned to do corperate espionage for a subsidiary of
the First Presidency.

We sort of expect Microsoft to spy on Apple, and Chevron
to ferret out Exxon-Mobil's secrets -- but when these
businesses are Church-controlled, it is something different.

Many of the 3-letter agencies (FBI, NSA, CIA, etc.) hire
LDS guys and train them in covert activities. They retire
into part-time (or even unpaid) positions in Church Security.

BYU, UofU, USU and Weber State all have their LDS profs
who work recruiting these Mormon RMs -- so, if you want to
see one of the "spooks" up close, it's an open secret on
campus. Just tell them you learned Arabic on your mission
and have a keen interest in remote sensing of coded mobile
communications.

UD

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: April 06, 2012 11:51PM

Uncle Dale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> get hold of somebody from a Mormon family whose father
> was assigned to do corporate espionage...

Now, I'm not saying that the WordPerfect-Novell-Attachmate
guys are into this sort of thing...

But you've got to wonder who it was that invented that
gizmo that can monitor computer keystrokes, through
concrete walls, from half a mile away.

Ever tell you about the Eyring Research Institute "expert"
assigned to the nuclear fuel minitoring unit of the DOE,
out at Arco, Idaho? Oh, maybe it's best that I don't...

UD

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 02:32PM

DO THEY? Of COURSE

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 09:42PM

People who publish controversial blogs have reported that they see hits from church IP adresses. One person with inside info reported on another board that the church does track blogs. The thing that used to raise their ire was "apostates" publishing in print, so you can be sure this is now extended to blogs and it's not a stretch to assume they may attempt to track and identify posters too. I know local leaders will attempt to determine whether a dissenter has been speaking "heresy" to members of his/her ward, too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.