Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 01:13AM

Special thanks to who ever opsted this originally (sorry I forgot your name) and aknowledgement to Gordon Hinckley who said "we worship a different Christ".

LDS members believe that they are singularly blessed with a record of the earthly ministry of Jesus from his life in Palestine, his visit to the Spirit World, and his visit to the Americas.

Yet, a chronological reading of the story of Jesus’ last week in Palestine to his ministry in the America, using LDS scripture, leaves one puzzled as to the very nature and character of Jesus.

I. Palestine

During the last days of Jesus’ life in Palestine, he entered triumphantly into Jerusalem, healed the sick, instituted the Holy Supper with the apostles, suffered greatly in Gethsemane, was judged and mocked, and then was crucified among common thieves.

In Palestine, Jesus is recorded as being meek and forgiving.

In Luke 22:32, Jesus tells Simon Peter that he is praying for Peter to be strengthened knowing that Peter will betray him three times before sunrise.

Also in Luke chapter 22, Jesus is told of going to Gethsemane and gently rebuking the disciples for following asleep during his personal agony and ordeal.

When Jesus leaves Gethsemane, one of the disciples uses a sword and cuts off the ear of the servant of the high priest. “And Jesus answered and said, ‘Suffer ye thus far.’ And he touched his ear, and healed him.” (Luke 22:51)

Jesus is ridiculed and spat upon. During the night, Peter, as forecasted, betrays Jesus three times. In response Jesus turns his head and looks at Peter, causing Peter to weep bitterly.

Herod, having heard of Jesus’ miracles, mocks him by allowing his men to dress Jesus in a robe before returning the prisoner to Pilate.

Pilate finding no wrong in Jesus, appealed to the crowd gathered who called for his crucifixion. During these acts of vulgarity and ridicule, Jesus is recorded as being passive and submissive.

On the cross at Golgotha, Jesus was placed between two thieves. During the dying process, Jesus is recorded as saying: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

Upon hearing Jesus plead for forgiveness, the rulers around him scorned him: “He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.”

The rulers’ outburst caused the soldiers to add a final insult by placing a wooden placard on the cross above Jesus reading “THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.”

Even the two thieves asked Jesus why he didn’t use his supernatural powers to free himself. As a response, Jesus rebuked one’s disbelief, but then informed that they would be with him in paradise.

The New Testament stories demonstrate a person of quiet dignity, meekness and forgiveness.

II. The Spirit World

According to LDS scripture, immediately upon Jesus’ death, his spirit left his body and ascended to the Spirit World. Jesus begins to metamorphose.

While in Palestine, Jesus preached among the sinners and outcasts.

Yet Mormon prophet Joseph F. Smith saw Jesus’ recently departed spirit go “not in person among the wicked and the disobedient” but to the righteous, such as Adam, Eve, many of Eve’s faithful daughters (apparently names weren’t provided), Abel, Seth, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Elias, Malachi, and many more, even the prophets who dwelt among the Nephites. (D&C 138:29, 38-49).

After a visit back to Jerusalem, Jesus became resurrected meaning that his spirit reentered his body. He spent some time teaching his disciples.

III. The Americas

Meanwhile, in the Americas, a different stage has been set. Immediately upon the crucifixion of Jesus, tempests, earthquakes, fires, whirlwinds, and physical upheavals rage for three hours. The Book of Mormon tells:

The city of Zarahemla was set on fire; the city of Moroni sunk into the depths of the sea, and the inhabitants were drowned; the earth was carried up upon the city of Moronihah; and many great and notable cities were sunk, and many were burned, and many were shaken till the buildings thereof had fallen to the earth, and the inhabitants thereof were slain, and the places were left desolate; And there were some cities which remained; but the damage thereof was exceedingly great, and there were many in them who were slain.

The destruction was followed by darkness upon the face of the land and there was great mourning and howling and weeping among all the people.

(3 Nephi 8).

Who caused this massive destruction and death? The survivors would immediately know the culprit in the form a Voice.

The Voice chides America’ inhabitants proclaiming:

“Behold, that great city Zarahemla have I burned with fire, and the inhabitants thereof. And behold, that great city Moroni have I caused to be sunk in the depths of the sea, and the inhabitants thereof to be drowned. And behold, that great city Moronihah have I covered with earth, and the inhabitants thereof, “

“And behold, the city of Gilgal have I caused to be sunk, and the inhabitants thereof to be buried up in the depths of the earth:

And building momentum, the Voice continues:

“Yea, and the city of Onihah and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Mocum and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Jerusalem [the America city, not the one in Palestine, he left that one alone] and the inhabitants thereof.”

“And behold, the city of Gadiandi, and the city of Gadiomnah, and the city of Jacob, and the city of Gimgimno, all these have I caused to be sunk, and made hills and valleys in the places thereof; and the inhabitants thereof have I buried up in the depths of the earth.”

“And behold, that great city Jacobugath, which was inhabited by the people of king Jacob, have I caused to be burned with fire.”

“And behold, the city of Laman, and the city of Josh, and the city of Gad, and the city of Kishkumen, have I caused to be burned with fire”

(3 Nephi 9: 2-10)

After itemizing his destructions, the Voice tells the people the name of their Destroyer:

“Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God.”

Yes, that Jesus who only a short time earlier restored a severed ear, forgave the ignorant, the crucifers, and the non-believers - all of whom had witnessed or knew of his miracles while Jesus preached among them for some three years.

Jesus, the man who had spared those in Palestine who had personally rejected him, mocked him and crucified him, tells those in America:

“‘So great faith have I never seen among all the Jews; wherefore I could not show unto them so great miracles, because of their unbelief.’”

(3 Nephi 19:35)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 01:29AM

Wow! I'm so grateful for your hard work on this. I respectfully disagree with you on one minor point. Jesus was pretty frustrated with his disciples when they couldn't stay awake to pray with him in the garden. He was truly human and fully God, so he got mad sometimes.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:14AM

Agree on that point.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 11:38AM

When Hinckley was speaking, he was referring to "Robot Jesus," which is just as valid as anyone else's Jesus. My personal savior is Raptor Jesus.

The My Buddy Jesus, and Amazing Dancer Jesus are also some of my favorites.

I consider any of these different types of Jesus to be just as valid as the Mormon and Christian versions of Jesus. The difference between any of them are very minimal.

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 02:08PM

We all know that a third Jesus is in the mix. He's Tebow Jesus and he runs the ball for Jesus.

He's coming to my home state of Texas for Zombie Jesus day to give a sermon on the mount. I read that 20,000 people are expected to attend.

+1 snb
People who think Mormons have weird beliefs but still believe a 700 year old man loaded two of every animal onto a huge boat he built to save only 8 people on the earth are just as deluded as Fanny Alger.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 10:59PM

Just so you know many Christians consider Noah and his ark to be a myth.That includes most Catholics and most mainline Protestants.n

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 11:57PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 02:51PM

So dickface Jesus of the Doctrine and Covenants makes perfect sense.

Although you get snippets of that in the New Testament too.

What would Jesus do?

Send you to eternal fire and torment for never even having heard of him.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 03:04PM

Talk about vengeance. The OT Jehovah was one ruthless SOB.

Posted by: toppity ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 09:32PM

Posted by: toporific ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 09:27PM

Posted by: easter bunny ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 01:31PM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 12:27AM

Imagine the people left after this destruction. "Jesus who?" "Why TF did you just wipe us out?"

Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 12:38AM

He was speaking as a women when he said that.

Posted by: roya1b100d ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 12:54AM

I converted to eastern orthodoxy after i left the mormon church 4 years ago. We celebrate Pascha (easter) And i never understood why the Mormon church (a "restored faith") practised the Catholic Easter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 12:55AM by roya1b100d.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:16AM

What is Pascha?

Date: March 05, 2014 01:22AM

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Pascha

good explanation. But it is the eastern version of Easter the actual word "Easter" is a western invention

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:48AM

roya1b100d Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I converted to eastern orthodoxy after i left the
> mormon church 4 years ago. We celebrate Pascha
> (easter) And i never understood why the Mormon
> church (a "restored faith") practised the Catholic
> Easter

The Mormons do not practice Catholic Easter.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 10:00AM

The poster is referring to the Catholic tradition of dating Easter.

Date: March 05, 2014 09:59AM

So, I don't mean to criticize but only English and German speaking countries call it Easter. Every other language uses the Aramaic derivative. Besides to base a whole argument on a name makes zero sense.

Differentiation between Catholic and Orthodox Easter is equally nonsensical. I understand that there are issues with the dates, but what else is there? There is fairly broad consensus on the whole death and resurrection story which is the meat and potatoes of Easter.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 01:37AM

Actually, the Mormon church pretty much ignores Easter,especially if stake or general conference is scheduled.

Date: March 05, 2014 01:40AM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, the Mormon church pretty much ignores
> Easter,especially if stake or general conference
> is scheduled.

Pretty much. Sadly.. Even the virgin Mary isn't really "virgin" because they don't believe in an immaculate conception. It is utterly offensive they think god physically came down and had a wild night with Mary. I do not see how they don't take any flak for that from other Christian faiths. Not from what i have heard anyway.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:59AM

Probably because other Christian faiths couldn't give a damn about Mormonism - LDS is too small to register on their maps ;-)

Date: March 05, 2014 10:02AM

I know that we do this every once in a while but just to say it again.

The Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Mary not Jesus. Mary was conceived without the stain of the Original Sin, Jesus wasn't conceived at all.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 10:05AM

Maybe so, but in the spirit of the original post, WHY did Mormon Jesus kill all the unbelievers in the Americas?

Date: March 05, 2014 10:16AM

It's in Jesus nature to kill unbelievers. In Deuteronomy the punishment for not believing was death. In Exodus the punishment for believing in a different god was death.In 2 Chronicles the punishment for not bowing down to god was death. In Leviticus the punishment for blasphemy was death. In Romans the punishment for disobeying god's will was death. In 2 Kings the punishment for mocking the lord's anointed was death. In 2 Samuel the punishment for trying to steady the ark was death. In Isaiah the punishment for being the son of an unbeliever was death. In Exodus the punishment for being the first born son of unbelievers was death.

I could really go on for days but the bottom line is that Jesus kills people for not believing. And before you tell me that it wasn't really Jesus but it was god, remember that however you slice it they are the same.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 11:00AM

This is a deal breaker for me concerning the Book of Mormon.
Regardless who the Israelites blamed for all their killings, the day after dying for everybody in a universal sacrifice, Jesus kills off all the unbelievers. People who had tortured him were worthy of forgiveness, but those who had never believed their prophets a hemisphere away were worthy to be killed.

Whoever wrote the Book of Mormon clearly had a different agenda than to teach the New Testament Christ in the formation of their new church. The resulting chaos in doctrine and historical actions is the direct result.

Posted by: glad2see ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 11:57AM

Posted by: seeker ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:49PM

Love how LDS.org website posts opening chapter 8 verse from 3 nephi, yet conveniently leaves out rest stating the vengeful crucified rambo Jesus. Copied from LDS.org- Tempests, earthquakes, fires, and whirlwinds in America attested the crucifixion of Christ in Jerusalem:3 Ne. 8; posted at.....https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/crucifixion

Posted by: seeker ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:57PM

If LDS.org needs a lesson here's the complete verse.
3 nephi 8.
Temptests, earthquakes, fires, whirlwinds,and physical upheavals attest the crucifixion of Christ-- many people are destroyed---darkness covers the land for three days---those who remain bemoan their fate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.