Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 06:13PM

There is an LDS chapel a few miles down the road from me. Sometimes, I drive past. In days gone by, I'd flip the building the finger. I haven't done that for a while.

But yesterday, I couldn't help noticing a bunch of cars in the parking lot. I don't really care why they were there; baptism, meetings renting the "cultural hall.' It just reminded me who cults like to keep their members busy. That's how they keep people from having time to figure out it's all BS.

I love having free times these days. I don't have a lot of it. But I jealously guard my serenity. All the busy work I did as a Mormon interfered with that serenity.

We took our daughter out to a park yesterday. We were just playing by a stream, under the trees. And I had serenity. I feel much more grounded when I'm in nature then any other time. I did spend a bit of time hiking with Mormon scouts as a kid, but did no enjoy any serenity with the. I don't think anybody did. But that brings me back to the original topic, busy work and serenity.

Do you have more serenity after leaving? I sure do!

T-Bone (loving the new board, by the way!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foolserrand2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 06:30PM

Yes, there is more peace in my life and less guilt by association. Truthfully, I was always embarrassed to say I was LDS. I didn't want anyone to know or make jokes about what I had believed in. Turns out it was just my BS detector trying to tell me something.

Yes, lots of peace and less guilt! I love having my time back to spend with my family and for myself.

Mormonism stole a lot of my time and my money. I will not get either one back however, I am making up for it by spending both on the things that matter the most. There is nothing like a fresh coffee and a hike up Spencer Butte!

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 07:40PM

agree 100%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 07:41PM by get her done.

Posted by: Emanon ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:29AM

TSCC lays on a thick layer of guilt, squashing out any hope for peace.

I stopped attending meetings because I had figured out the historical fraud, it was only then that I had some peace and worked on eliminating the guilty thoughts that had been so ingrained in my thought processes. Then when I finally came to this board and read the words CULT numerous times I began reading about cults. Once I started reading more about the church and the psychologically unhealthy behavior it produces and encourages, the pieces fell into place and I had a peace and serenity never felt before..and hope for the future. I never had that while a member of the LDS church.

Thanks to the board and everyone who share their thoughts, feelings, stories and trials.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 08:11AM

My father used to joke that all the busy work was so the saints didn't have time to sin. I think it's so they don't have time to think.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.