Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 06:47PM

I don't mind getting cards wishing me good cheer for any specific holiday or for all holidays generally. In fact I love it! I appreciate hearing from people I see regularly and those I haven't talked to all year.

My favorite cards have Santas, lavish trees, snowmen, or rich beautiful scenes including children. But I like any card that reflects the taste and interests of the sender.

What bothers me are the morg-type inserts and messages from those who know I am not a mormon. I tend to think it's rude to write such messages as:

"May Heavenly Father bless you and keep you and help you in your journey back to His Kingdom on earth and in Heaven."

That's the kind of thing some mormons like to write to exmormons including the ones who have said they'll never return to mormonism, so don't even bring it up.

When my older sister used to have one or two missionaries in the field at a time, she'd write about how splendidly they were doing and allude to her excellent parenting as the reason for their success.

My husband used to say that we should send condoms in our cards with a note explaining how to use them because my sister has twelve kids which is excessive.

Sis's holiday greeting was the first to arrive this year. It's a nice calendar peddling the insurance her husband sells. That's fine, but I admit to thinking the hand written note was a passive/aggresive swipe.

In the first written communication I have received from her since last year's calendar, she only wrote: "May His light be with you, His peace comfort you and His love be about YOU." Instead of letter o's she drew little hearts.

I happen to think it's on the rude side to take the trouble to write and send such sentiments to non-believers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 06:52PM

They think they are trying to save you.
I try to send gifts or cards I think the RECIPIENT will enjoy.
True believers don't see it that way...

Date: December 02, 2010 03:06AM

that their religion requires them to be rude and disrespectful and they're offended if outsiders refuse to participate in their game.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 06:54PM

What I hate is when they send out the mass email (or even worse, Facebook post) that says "if you want a Christmas card from us this year, you need to send me your address." As if we should all be clamoring to get on their damn Christmas card list. Just send them to all the people that you effing WANT to send one to! I tend to skip giving my address to the family members that send the annual brag letter anyway. "My child is so smart, my husband works so hard, blah blah blah." Spare me.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 07:25PM

Even if it isn't related to wine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 07:35PM by Makurosu.

Date: December 02, 2010 03:13AM

Here where I live, everyone uses that term to pinpoint an area north of San Francisco where grapes are grown. It's like saying the Panhandle or the Eastside. I think your parents had a huge need to find something to complain about.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 03:23AM

Cheryl, do you feel you really need to write something back to her? You do have a way with words!

People say to just let these things go, and the Mormons continue to get away with their rudeness time after time. Our feelings get hurt, and we just stuff it.

The few time's I've given them a taste of their own medicine, I thave felt empowered, almost vindicated.

I would love for you to come up with a clever response, and put your sister in her place for once.

Ha-ha-ha-ha! Your husband is the best! The condom thing is too over-the-top, though. You've got to be subtle.

I would say, "I am already blessed with light, comfort, and love. Thanks for Y:)ur added blessing, and may Y:)U have the same someday." Or something lame and sicky sweet like that (smileys included).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 04:39AM by forestpal.

Date: December 02, 2010 04:33AM

Good advice.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 04:48AM

Thankfully, I do not know any Mormons who are THAT rude! Well, actually, I do, but I am not on greeting card terms with them! ;o))

Posted by: Santanon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 06:30AM

...you will continue to get them. Hey, don't take issue with me, I'm just a messenger, and it's a law of the universe: we attract things we have strong feelings about, whether those feelings are positive OR negative. Both are attachments, which act as open invitations.

But then, some people actually like bother, as it gives them something to react against, and of course to feel superior to.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 07:17AM

In White Palace, James Spader gives Susan Sarandon a dustbuster as a gift, because he thinks her place is a mess. She gets pissed off since it's not a gift, it's an insult.

Unless you know someone really wants something like that, you are just insulting them. Telling someone to go back to church in an Xmas card is an insult. Tell them to take you off their Xmas card list if that's what they use their cards for.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:21AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> In the first written communication I have received
> from her since last year's calendar, she only
> wrote: "May His light be with you, His peace
> comfort you and His love be about YOU." Instead of
> letter o's she drew little hearts.
>
> I happen to think it's on the rude side to take
> the trouble to write and send such sentiments to
> non-believers.

I don't think you are interpreting it correctly. Reply this way.

Dear Cheryl's Sis,
Thank you for the calender and kind words. Cheryls husband appreciates the advice on how to please me, but you misspelled PIECE!

Date: December 02, 2010 11:44AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:40AM

I've gone to sending kids' art cards made by kids at MD Anderson Cancer Clinic.

Ron

Date: December 02, 2010 08:03PM

I love it! Thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.