Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 11:02PM

We have a huge problem in our tiny village, but it isn't politically correct to talk about it other than perhaps between 2-4 people at a time.

The problem got out of hand during this fall so the village association promised that we'd have a meeting with local politicians and the authorities that are supposed to take care of this aspect of life in our country, so to say. The village society representatives promised that everybody would be called and heard in the meeting.

Well, that was a couple of months ago. The next thing is, we suddenly read about a village meeting in the local paper!

The association representatives sound senile as they present the problem like we who live here should be ashamed that we claim something should be done. The leader also claims that we are at least double as many as in reality, which diminishes the problem. The politicians claim they have very good relations with the said authorities. Well good for them, I guess.

There has been _no_ contact between the local politicians and us villagers, neither is it possible to talk with any representatives of the authorities.

And now this. I feel the village association let us down big time. They haven't even tried to explain how the meeting went, on the ass. home page. Nada. I think that's outrageous and only made the situation more infected, if anything.

I'm seething. But feel paralyzed. I'm an introvert and it's really hard for me to make waves. But I'm shocked because the association did what they did. I guess there were perhaps 4-5 people there from our village. Of course _they_ are satisfied. But shouldn't they inform us who were waiting for a common meeting where we _all_ would have been heard?

Any nifty advice you can give me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 04, 2010 04:10AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 08:20AM

that I feel your pain.

These leaders want people to shut up and trust them. That's what leaders often do when their power has gone to their heads. It won't get better unless people speak out and stand up to this arrogance.

Date: December 04, 2010 01:02PM

Thanks anyway, for your expression of sympathy.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 09:37AM

The next time you have an election, vote out your association representatives. That's the only thing to do. Talk about your problem with other like-minded people in your community. Attend public meetings of your association and make your views known. Encourage others to do the same.

You can always contact politicians on your own (by letter, email, call, or personal visit.) But I'm uncertain as to whether your problem has wider implications outside your community or is merely a local matter (in which case it looks like you are represented by your association reps.)

Date: December 04, 2010 12:56PM

He's over 80 and nobody has any say over him. If he decides something, you just accept it.

It's unthinkable that he should get voted out and someone else got his position. He has to die first.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 10:37AM

Could you be a little more vague in your description of the problem?

Date: December 04, 2010 01:00PM

I'm not a wave-maker, but I'm totally outraged at the actions of the village association, the municipal politicians and the local authorities.

I'm confused because nobody else seems to react either. Isn't there at least one person in our village with more extrovert temperament and sheer courage, than me?

Feels like we'd need a Jeanne d'Arc or something, and I don't have that kind of balls.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:23PM

if you want to know something -- you have to ask, and voice your opinion. Keep a copy. This is the kind of record that can be used later.

If you are upset by a closed meeting, get in line! Happens all the time, someplace.

Also look carefully at where you have the power to make a change, then do it.

Date: December 04, 2010 01:10PM

We've been mobbed before in another affair, when we tried to get written documentation with signatures (we were repeatedly lied to and tried to make it right). We didn't succeed, on the contrary the local people mocked and sneered at us. You see, around here they are used to just talking with each other and no papers have ever been needed. Or so they said. We had to give up in the end. It would once again look like we're weird outsiders (not lived around here as long as "everybody else").

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.