Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 03:59PM

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/10/byu-student-video-on-homosexuality-is-not-in-violation-of-honor-code-says-administrator/

from the article: "The students featured in a video about being gay at Brigham Young University are not in obvious violation of the honor code, according to Carri Jenkins, an assistant to the president of BYU. Jenkins went on to say that for the video alone, the students would not be punished. The honor code, Jenkins said, is “based on conduct, not on feeling, and if same-gender attraction is only stated, that is not an honor code issue.”

“Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the honor code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings,” reads the honor code".

So, that's the latest from YBU.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 06:42PM

"It is OK to be gay as long as you do not act gay" Many Mormon gays are validating that hateful, hurtful stance by claiming that not acting gay (in any way) makes things better, and many here are celebrating the validation of that hate.

The hateful trap TSCC has set is nothing new. It is a message of suppression that has been around for as long as I have known. It is not a sign of improvement, it is a sign of bigotry trying to hide behind a facade of acceptance, it is a hurtful lie. It is a lie every bit as hurtful and manipulating as every other LDS lie.

Those gays that have fallen for this message are not heroes leading gays to a better life, they are tools, dupes, shills unwittingly doing the work of the bigots to snare other gays into a world of suppression. They are like Missionaries in the regard that they think they are doing right, but they are really just helping to spread the lie that traps people.

It is nothing new, the harm has been proven over decades. It is a message not unlike the message of Evergreen, that there is something wrong with gays. These BYU students should be pitied for once again being fooled by TSCC's many lies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 07:01PM by MJ.

Posted by: anon12121212 ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 06:54PM

Why in the hell would a gay person go to BYU. There hundreds of other colleges that would provide a good education while allowing a person to the freedom to be themselves.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 06:59PM

The same sort of lies that keeps people paying tithing while their home is being forclosed.

The lies that can manipulate people into doing what is in the best interest of TSCC even when it is devistating to the individual.

Posted by: tmtinfw ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 07:01PM

I went to BYU for 2 years (transferred out and graduated from another university) because it was the only opportunity I had to leave home--my parents thought it would be a "safe" place for me.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 07:03PM

Just turn it off. Like a light switch.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.