Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:16PM

I’d probably donate to some organization to educate and save children, but I suppose the rich kids in Provo need it more.

Since we’re on the subject of tithing today, I’d like to share how much Canadian tithe payers donated to BYU. This is public information in Canada, I think I can share it.

Name of organization: Brigham Young University
Associated charity:
BN/Registration number:
City: Provo
Prov/Terr: UT
Amount of gifts-in-kind: $ 0
Total amount of gifts: $ 102,900,000

Here is the link, if you'd like to check it out yourself.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/haip/srch/t3010form22gifts-eng.action?b=119223758RR0001&e=2010-12-31&n=THE+CHURCH+OF+JESUS+CHRIST+OF+LATTER-DAY+SAINTS+IN+CANADA&r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cra-arc.gc.ca%3A80%2Febci%2Fhaip%2Fsrch%2Ft3010form22-eng.action%3Fb%3D119223758RR0001%26amp%3Be%3D2010-12-31%26amp%3Bn%3DTHE%2BCHURCH%2BOF%2BJESUS%2BCHRIST%2BOF%2BLATTER-DAY%2BSAINTS%2BIN%2BCANADA%26amp%3Br%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cra-arc.gc.ca%253A80%252Febci%252Fhaip%252Fsrch%252Fbasicsearchresult-eng.action%253Fs%253Dregistered%2526amp%253Bk%253Dchurch%252Bof%252Bjesus%252Bchrist%252Bof%252Blatter-day%252Bsaints%2526amp%253Bb%253Dtrue%2526amp%253Bp%253D2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:21PM

Wow! is that a year? Then i should have gone to byu free instead of paying my way thru a Canadian University. Not that i want a degree from the Y. I know mormons get a discount- they SHOULD get to go free!

Date: April 10, 2012 05:23PM

I think the Can govt. should FORCE the church to give it to a canadian hospital, soup kitchen or even Canadian University - something that STAYS in Canada.

Date: April 10, 2012 05:24PM

Or to an international relief organization like Red Cross, Doctors w/o Borders etc. Charities that Canadians endorse.

Date: April 10, 2012 05:29PM

I forgot to put it in. Yes, this is for the year 2010.

The 2011 numbers have not been posted yet. The deadline is April 30th to submit and will be posted later in the year.

Learning that Canadian funds were donated to BYU (40 million then) was the last straw for my tithing paying efforts.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 11:49AM

I always knew that tithing funds went to BYU, from around the world. It did not seem inappropriate to me. Kids from around the world went there, at a fairly affordable price I might add. FYI.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 11:55AM

A $100 million? Humm...

Yea, I would have to take care of myself first also. Having been fleeced by the Mormon church ($185,000) I need to have a real retirement fund. Probably need $3 million for that.

I have kids. They need educations and houses and cars. But that's it. Need about $5 million for that.

OK, so that is $8 million. I would give another 2 million to family to help them.

$90 million left. I would give it to people in my community who are struggling. Each day I would set a goal to give away a million. Someone who had big medical debts. A kid who was struggling to pay for college. A family whose parents were out of work. A waitress who is single with a couple of kids. Someone who is losing their home. A school that needed computers. A good teacher who was going to leave teaching because it didn't pay enough. A middle aged man or woman who wanted to go back to college to change careers because they got laid off. Some migrant workers whose car broke down.

It could be alot of fun and very rewarding. It would be anonamous.

Date: July 18, 2012 03:59PM

Very few of the kids I knew had a chance to go to BYU, only those from elite families would go. I live far from SLC and the way I see is: why should members have to support a US university when the resources could be invested in the communties where the members are paying tithing.

Another reason I find it outrageous that so much money goes to BYU is because the kids of GA get a free tution, while those YM in poor countries got nothing.

The PEF was started, but the YM there get to borrow the money and then pay it back with interest. I have no problem with these YM paying the money back, I have a problem with them being charged interests when the original funds were donations from members.

I find it that many who have been mormons for generations and enjoy some of the benefits of the investments in SLC are used to seeing where tithing money goes. Converts like me have no idea. When I first visited SLC it didn't feel right, it just didn't.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:24PM

Yep, when I eventually found out about the church I came across something of the sort, and I started to feel angry that while my mom was supporting children in the mission field and in school, they still wanted her 10% (and she never liked to go to the temple).

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:33PM

The first thing I would do is get all of my nieces, nephews, future grandchildren, and anyone else in my family that wanted it, Education! No church schools would be about the only stipulation. All of their needs would be covered while in school. They wouldn't get any actual cash. I wouldn't want them giving any of it to the church.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 06:02PM

And my Loved One.

Them two's da FIRST.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 09:28PM

I would help as many orphans as I could. After all someone helped me. Maybe help cancer research in honor of my brother who died from liver cancer.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 01:50AM

And I would really like to set up a large property to be an alternative living community for individuals with neurological differences and their loved ones to live.

I envision a lot of "back to nature" stuff and cottage industry because those of us with special needs don't fit into the rat race terribly well. :)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 01:57AM

If you have a hundred million to spare, I am sure I could find a use for a small portion of it. Not much, just a couple hundred thousand bucks for a house.

Posted by: anon :) ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 06:37AM

I would take care of myself first: a nice house with a large yard, college and wedding funds for future children... I'd do my research and figure out the best way to invest the rest of it, and I'd donate whatever I earned on it every year to 3 - 5 good charities that would spend it well. At the end of my life, I'd split whatever was left between my children and those charities.

I'd probably take some out here and there to cover medical expenses for my aging parents if needed, and I'd likely blow some of it on a nice vacation and a custom mermaid tail that I could actually use to swim in the water with.

Of course, this plan accounts for me having a job with my own income (or someone with their own income supporting me). I wouldn't be one of those millionaires who never works another day in their life...I'd be too paranoid about it all disappearing with nothing to fall back on.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 07:16AM

Easy, the upmarket shoppers in Salt Lake City. To be honest I'd donate significantly more than 100 million if I could get some retractable roofs for them and perhaps some genetically modified trout.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 09:11AM

Alot of it would go to funding for the desabled and if possable right into projects that help the desabled live bettr lives along side normal people.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 09:14AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 11:59PM

World Vision - Misc donations
There is this charity that helps people who want to adopt come up with the adoption fees.
Adopt a Native Elder (works with the Navajo)
Scholarships for Lakota - donate to the community college there at the reservation.
Whatever charities are out there to help people with sick children pay their medical bills.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 01:28AM

$100 Million Dollars!!...WOW and how would I use it....hmmmm...lets see. I'd make sure mt family were taken care of, of course. Then I would set up a trust so that money could be given to the Canadian Food Grains Bank (a charitable program that farmers donate the use of land, seed, machinery and labor to every year) in perpetuity. I would find out what our local hospital needs in the way of new or replacement equipment. I would also set up trusts to help local homeless and food bank programs.....and I would give the square root of SFA to the LDS Church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 09:02PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 05:59AM

Easy.
[sarcasm]I'd help the struggling retail economy in Salt Lake City.
Those starving African children need to learn to take care of themselves, after all...charity begins at home.[/sarcasm]

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 07:26AM

I would establish my own charitable organization, to feed hungry people worldwide.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 09:02AM

I need more than that; I've always wanted to create the finest high school possible (plant, faculty, curriculum) and plunk it down in the middle of Harlem. I'd like to give those kids better than they have now.

Posted by: Apple ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 09:51AM

Who are the other donees on this list? Are they actual charities?

Date: July 18, 2012 10:07AM

Wow, that's a big difference, especially if we consider that most people work for free for the church, even as cleaners, which I;m guessing is not the case with the ELCA.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 05:29PM

I think I would put it towards education somehow - probably somewhere in an underdeveloped country.

The problem with putting money towards anything else is it just solves a temporary problem where education is a permanent solution.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 05:29PM

http://www.soldiersangels.org/ I have donated to Soldiers' Angels and I would donate to Edward Norton's Charities.

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/532-edward-norton

Posted by: ss ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:18AM

great info, thank you!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 10:25AM

On a major scale, I would donate funds to my local hospital, which makes great use of the money. I would also fund my local library and the SPCA. I would be interested in initiatives that provide clean water, roads, schools, clinics, food, and micro loans for businesses for the people in Africa. I would fund medical research.

On a personal scale, I would fund programs for athletes in the minor Olympic sports that have traditionally had troubles finding sponsors. There are a lot of great young people who are pursuing healthy lifestyles and sharing that with the kids in their communities.

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 11:11AM

I'd buy up vacant homes and give them to families in need of a home. Then, I would create a small organization to help get these folks employed.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 11:49AM

I would help many exmos on this board who feel trapped in their current circumstances. Young ones just starting out, denied college assistance. Older ones discovering the truth and finding their "support system" family members actually hampering progress. Everyone in between who needs to move and make a clean break in order to get free from the morg.

Housing assistance, job training or education, relocation expenses. It's tough to make a break on your own. I did, but I realize not everyone is willing to give up the things I gave up. :)
Flame on, you know who you are, we've gone rounds on this one before.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:24PM

Gawds I don't often dream .... certainly most of what has been said above would be in my dream. I thought of providing for free spaying/neutering thru out America. Money for shelters, rescue, veterinarian assistance, pet food.... ah so much. Pay people to spay/neuter pets.
Take a serious look at nursing home care. Revamp the system or something. Set up new facilities, better pay scale for employees, less hours, full staffing and better medical care.
wow

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.