Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:03PM

I have been reading this board for several years and have come to realize that I am punishing myself. My daughter married a mormon man and converted some years ago. She had two daughters from a previous marriage and they had a son 8 years ago. He was baptised last summer.

There have been several post about the interview of children before baptisim and it concerned me greatly. I asked my daughter about it and even sent her a copy of one of your posts about the event. She denied that anything like that happened. So my question is this: do all bishops do that or is it different in areas outside of SLC?

If there is any chance that this stuff is going on with my 8 year-old grandson I really need to know.

They are in Texas near Dallas and I live in another city. I'm not mormon and I hate what has happened to my daughter and her two girls. I just don't know what to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:09PM

We tend to hear more about the ones that are bad here because the victims of the bad interviews have more issues to work out. Those who didn't have bad interviews have a lot less to say about it.

It is impossible to get any idea here of how common the invasive interviews are. This is a great place to collect anecdotal evidence, but not frequency.

Interviews don't start until age 12.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. There is little you can do but try to teach the children to use critical thinking skills in life, and to have enough self esteem to stand up for themselves.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:12PM

Not every bishop asks the probing sexual content questions. Some times they simply ask, "Are you living the law of Chastity?" Which is uncomfortable enough, but at least it doesn't ask for details.

8 is still a little young for any questions at all like this happening, but still MIGHT be happening.

I think it would be best to try to impress upon your daughter that 20 years ago Catholic priests were trusted too much. Ask her what COULD be happening behind closed doors.

I was in a class of 12 year old boys who were being taught not to masturbate. As an adult(not teaching the lesson) I was uncomfortable. So, yeah, your grandson might need protecting.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:20PM

Those questions usually start in interviews at 12-years-old.

It was never graphic when I was asked (every year or two till I was an adult, then anytime I needed a temple recommend after that). But however delicate it was stated, I always knew that I was being asked if I masturbated. There was even a joke among the boys that goes like this, "The Bishop asked me if I had a problem with masturbation. I told him I don't have a problem with it, it works every time."

If a kid or an adult has sex and ends up in an interview to determine if a court needs to be held for sanctions, then the sex that took place will have to be described in greater detail.

Some Bishops are worse, some better, but what I describe is the bare minimum in the 12 or so wards I've lived in.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:20PM

No fucking way! I never interviewed anyone 8 years old for baptism and asked questions about chastity. That's nowhere found in the CHI. Anyone that says that goes on is guilty of promoting ex-mo unfaith promoting rumors. Be careful what you sew here.

Sorry, but I call bullshit where I see it.

Ron

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:28PM

If you need help swearing, I could give you a hand with it. I'm pretty good at it.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:25PM

Yeah, I would think most bishops wouldn't ask 8 year olds any questions relating to chastity at all. Plus, your daughter will probably wake up one day. Especially if she wasn't raised in that religion. People tend to go back to what feels natural for them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.