Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 07:59AM

I had to smile to myself as I thought of Brigantia's description of it as a white carbuncle with a gilded pixie on the top!
BTW, I put Preston in " " marks because as anyone from the area will know it's not in Preston, but nearby Chorley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 08:39AM

...it stuck its map pin in the middle of a car park.

Meanwhile, in Chorley, the Street View car didn't bother driving all the way up Temple Way, so there's no view of the building. You can see a bit of the spire and the gilded pixie from a side street -- if you know what you're looking for. The funniest view, though, is from a spot on the motorway, where a big blue lorry completely blocks out the temple.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 09:11AM

I saw Preston and thought you meant Preston Road in Dallas. Ah ..... the memories..

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 09:12AM

I saw preston and thought you meant Idaho...and I was thinking...did they make a Napoleon Dynamite temple??? LOL

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 09:44AM

I thought of Preston Idaho, too. I have some very fond gay memories of Preston (Idaho).

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 10:15AM

Your description of the Preston Temple rememded me I drove past the one in Edmonton, Alberta this past week....looks like something that the Nazis would have thrown up in Berlin ca 1939....grey and dreary with a gilded pixie on the top. Ugly would be charitable.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 10:40AM

We lived just outside of Preston, ID for 20 years, so I also thought of that place. LOL on the Napolean Dynamite temple!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 10:44AM

Now everyone go see the Brigham City temple. It is a monstrosity in the middle of a very small lot. Don't know where they will park. There was never enough parking for the tabernacle (across main street from the temple) as it was--and the tabernacle in Brigham is one of the nicer looking ones.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 11:02AM

I was looking at Google pictures of both buildings, and can't help but feel that they should have built the temple to match the tabernacle.

That white siding they are using on all their temples looks horrible. I know what they are doing though, they are trying to make all their new McTemples look like the San Diego temple, but they are using much cheaper materials, and it just looks like crap.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 11:44AM

I was thinking, "holy cow, did I miss something?" I have a lot of distant relatives from the Preston/Dayton area and was thinking how thrilled they would be to have a McTemple right there in town.

I agree on the Brigham City temple.. it looks hideous in my opinion, sticks out like a gigantic, bright-white sore thumb, especially from the freeway. (Every time I go past it my twisted mind starts humming "The spirit of god.." despite how much I despise this religion.) My mom is of course delighted that they have a temple there in town now, but I think it looks absolutely ridiculous. It's probably one of the tallest buildings in city limits now, I would guess.

I'd love to find the reference where that crotchety old bastard Packer prophesied that there would never be a temple built in Brigham because Ogden and Logan were both so close (less than 30 min drive to either one). Obviously he was prophesying as a man and not a prophet.

I remember being pissed when I'd heard about that as a kid, since it seemed like Brigham always got skipped over for the cool things that Logan and Ogden always seemed to get. At least, if one can call a blindingly-white great and spacious building "cool". Now his failed prophesy just seems like one more nail in the coffin that holds my dry, shriveled testimonkey.

"Gilded Pixie"!! I love it! That's the best euphemism I've heard since "Morgasm"!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 12:07PM

...I checked it's location with Google and saw it was next to the Smith's Food King. THAT brings back some memories.

I was going to USU and was trying to date a girl from Brigham City. She was a fine kisser and let me touch her boobs a little. She worked at that Smith's.

I drove from Logan one day and parked outside the store, waiting for her to finish her shift. As I sat there, a local dude in a Camero pulled up next to me and gave me the evil eye. What was his problem? He was creeping me out, so I decided to kill time driving around town, maybe find the house my father was born in. Camero Dude followed me.

So I went back to market. He couldn't park next to me, so he got out, came over and, in a threatening voice, told me, "She's MY girlfriend! You leave her alone!"

Ah, well, so that's the deal. I replied, "That's kind of up to her to decide, don't you think?"

He stormed off.

When the girl was done with work we talked for a while. She was distracted, not that excited to see me. I finally realized she was trying to lead a double life -- one in BC and the other at USU -- and I had accidentally crossed the line.

She was the second BC girl I had had a weird dating experience with, so I swore off of BC girls.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 10:45AM

We go through Brigham City constantly - we'll swing over and take a look the next time we're there.

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: April 15, 2012 10:51AM

After attending the Preston "Chorley"temple onetime with a friend(I have been out 4+yrs) we went for a stroll in the grounds,a car screeched to a halt near the gate,2 asians chaps got out and came over to talk to us,they gave us the once over,I assumed they were making sure we were dressed modestly,they asked us some questions about the temple,some of these were strange ie does it have staircases,a basement or security,one of the chaps then asked us which god we believed in,we answered " The true and only living God" to our astonishment one chap raised his fist in the air and declared quite fiercely "Only one true God Allah"they then got back in the car and drove off,quite an unnerving experience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.