Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 04:32PM

The Metal Church post reminded me of a guy from my mission. He came out about a month before I did, and we were in the same district in my first area. He was the first person I ever talked to who was as unhappy in the mission field as I was, and he'd had another month to consider going home. We would go on splits sometimes, and we would sit in the flat and listen to heavy metal. I wasn't a metal fan, but it was better than nothing. It was my first exposure to Metallica - in 1987! They had a song called "Hit The Lights" that I remember. This elder was a really great guy but was very unsuited to missionary service, and I don't know what he was doing there.

One day, president came around for a visit and interviews, and this elder had a long talk with him. When they came out this elder had made a deal with president that he would stay in the mission field, but that he could listen to whatever music he wanted. I kid you not. President told me and the others in the district that this elder was a special case and to allow him to listen to his music, as he's a good missionary (he was) and it's just one of those things. He was fairly discreet about it, until he was near the end of his mission when he would say things like "Well, elders I'm off to church - Metal Church." and then put his headphones on. He had some other sayings that I can't remember.

I just flat out didn't care about music rules. My music was fairly sedate, and I couldn't care less what the mission president or anyone else said. I used to say "If you don't like my music, you can always send me home." I had no deals with president. You can't tell me what music I can listen to. I went through this with the Satan firesides when I was in high school.

But I've thought about this elder over the years and wonder what that deal was really about. There was another elder who I knew was well connected to Mormon royalty and he was made zone leader at four months and AP at six. The metal elder's name was Hatch. So, I wonder if that was another royalty situation and what went on behind the scenes. He was a nice guy, good missionary, but he got some special allowances that nobody else could have gotten.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mick ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:01PM

Metallica was one of the first metal band I heard of in 1992. It progressed from there. Hit the Lights is from their debut album Kill "Em All. That is when Metallica was awesome. I missed there hay-day.

I remember my oldest brother left home because he brought home a Slayer album and my parents were not cool with that. SLAYER!!!!! Now he is Exmo and has a Slayer (amongst other) tattoo.

The first concert I went to was Extreme Steel with Pantera, Slayer and Static-X. That was a defining moment in my life.

Date: December 02, 2010 05:16PM

That was the name of the tape he had. They had a different, harder sound then. Not what most people would associate with the 1980s! :)

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:04PM

Date: December 02, 2010 05:14PM

There is so much insider language in mission culture. It's the missionary equivalent of swinging. You just trade companions for a day. It's typically done by zone leaders to help train greenie missionaries, but I used to do it to avoid going insane from being with the same person 24/7 for too long.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:15PM

Splits = exchanging companions for a day or two. Purpose to see other approaches, see a different area, learn from each other, get a break from the same guy.

Had a companion who listed to MoTabs all the time on headphones. While he was away on splits, I popped in a tape to listen. It was Black Sabbath. Hmmm....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.