Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JF ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:17PM

My wife's ex-husband pays no child support (for three years now). But he pays tithing. His bishop gladly accepts the tithing money, even though he knows child support is not paid. He doesn't hold a temple recommend, due to not paying child support, but he holds a calling and gets to baptize his children, exercising his priesthood.

His reason: "I don't want to deny my children the blessings of tithing". That's some amazing rationale.

And you'd think his bishop would have the balls to reject the tithing and tell him to pay child support before paying tithing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:20PM

I'm sorry, but deep down you still believe TSCC is decent. THEY DON'T CARE about anything other than $$$$$$.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 05:55AM

how is it that the court hasn't hauled his butt into court? In our state if he wasn't paying he would end up in jail for failure to provide child support.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 06:48AM

Simple. Because this gentleman's wife hasn't put pen to paper yet and notify the court that this bum isn't paying. I'm sorry, but until she notifies the court, I have very little sympathy. Doesn't make the bum any less a rat bastard however.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:27PM

My father, who has a PhD in Education and was a college proffessor, refused to pay child support, because it was "too much". (He was ordered in 1993 to pay $625 TOTAL for FOUR kids). He jumped from job to job, pizza delivery, fastfood, etc....so that he didn't have to pay.

My mother filed and pleaded with anyone who would listen. Sadly, most states do very little for child support enforcement, unless the STATE is out money. In other words, unless the custodial parent applies for financial assistance/welfare. THEN they will go after the non-custodial parent.

Either way, it shouldn't be the JOB of the CUSTODIAL parent. The non-custodial parent should GLADLY provide their portion of the support for the children they CHOSE TO HAVE. No one made them procreate. It was a CHOICE.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:36PM

It is also a choice for custodial parents to procreate, therefore BOTH parents should ideally work together to raise their kids, even if their marriage doesn't succeed. Sadly, that's not how it works out a lot of times.

I agree that it sends quite a confusing message when TSCC so eagerly takes tithing from someone who can't or doesn't fulfill their obligations to supporting their family. I'm glad I wasn't raised LDS... and that my parents never divorced.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 06:31AM

I agree with StillAnon-- TSCC does not give a crap about anything other than tithe.

Before I left, I attended for a year (after 15 years of inactivity) without paying tithe. And my VT and HT kept dropping little hints about it, my bishop did, the missionaries... Everyone.

The LDS church broke my heart.

I went back after all that inactivity, because I was going through depression, and feeling like life wasn't worth living... No really, I was considering the worst. I couldn't find work, and my husband was gambling all his paychecks away. Everything was sliding downhill. I went back to the church because I wanted something to lift my spirits. To help clear my head and figure out what I am supposed to be doing with my life. I DESPERATELY needed fellowship, and to feel like someone cared about me. I needed friends, I needed purpose.

But mostly what I got was a bunch of people who looked down their nose at me because I couldn't' afford to pay tithe. Because I married a gambling non-member. They looked at me like "Well, if you're going to marry someone like that, then you deserve the situation you are in." They helped with a few things, but all they mostly did was hound me for tithe, callings, and to "get moving up" in the church.

I wanted to feel like I was more than just a potential tithe payer, or an activity volunteer to them. If they helped me, I wanted them to do it because I mattered as a member, and they cared about me. Not because they might get some money or chores out of me. Its not that I don't want to give back, its that they made it plainly obvious that they EXPECTED it. And I think even the bible warns not to do good deeds with expectations behind them.

But they just couldn't find it within themselves to value me for anything other than money or chores.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 06:36AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 03:08AM

They always claim you will receive so many blessings if you pay your tithing. All it really does, is make household spending tighter. The pressure to pay is absurd, like club dues.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:41AM

The temple recommend interview includes a question about whether you owe and are paying required support. More proof that it is easy to lie and get a recommend.

Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:18PM

This link shows the different states (USA) regarding "CRIMINAL STATUTES FOR NON-PAYMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT"
http://www.cffpp.org/publications/pdfs/crimstat.pdf

Example --

JURISDICTION: Utah

ELEMENTS OF INITIAL CRIME: Knowingly fails to provide support when child is in needy circumstances or would be but for source other than the defendant

CLASSIFICATION
1. CLASS A MISDEMEANOR.
MAXIMUM PENALTIES
1 YR AND/OR $2,500

2. FELONY OF 3RD°
MAXIMUM PENALTIES
5 YRS AND/OR $5,000
ELEMENTS NECESSARY TO ENHANCE SEVERITY:
(1) PREVIOUS CONVICTION OR
(2) COMMITTED OFFENSE WHILE RESIDING OUTSIDE OF UTAH OR
(3) COMMITS CRIME 18 OUT OF 24 MONTHS OR
(4) ARREARAGE IN EXCESS OF $10,000

NON-SUPPORT/PENALTY STATUTES:
UT ST s. 76-7-201;76-3-204; 76-3-203; 76-3-301

My wife's douchebag deadbeat exhusband is presently in excess of $12,000 behind on his child support. We have a case open with ORS but he's slippery and will not divulge his address. He's not paying tithing (never LDS) -- he's the classical waster of the kid's support with his smoking and drinking habits. So which would you rather deal with? Either way the kids lose.

Isn't there a law or something that says that if the clergy knows that the confessor has committed a felony that they're obligated to tell the Law (or did I dream that)?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:29PM

Catholic Priests are not allowed to betray the secrecy of the confessional. If I were to go confess to murder to a priest he could not report it to the police.

He could STRONGLY ENCOURAGE me to confess but he could not report me himself.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:22PM

BOTTOM LINE- A CULT WILL DANGLE WHATEVER TO KEEP THOSE DOLLAR BILLS COMING IN. REMEMBER-IT IS A WHITE MALE SUPREMEST CULT AND THOSE MEN WILL TRY AND SAVE FACE ANYWAY THEY CAN...EVEN IF CHILDREN ARE STARVING ...

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:24PM

If your wife's ex lives in Utah it doesn't matter if ORS doesn't have his address. They are entitled and required to take his IRS tax return directly from the federal government. They only need his social security number and a valid order of child support. Be sure to ask them to do it now as tax season begins. Good luck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.